PDA

View Full Version : Hallett "Field Trip" - Race Control!

GlennCMC70
05-23-2010, 09:33 PM
I've said it several times over the last couple of years that everyone should spend a session or two in Race Control to see what goes on during a race. It was an eye opening experience for me my first time. I planned to do this at MSR-H this year, but Al left me holding the bag solo, so I didn't get to plan this. MSR-C is a no go due to its location - gotta climb a crazy ladder. TWS is too far and not readily accessible.
But Hallett is an easy one.
So, please help me to remember to plan this trip to Race Control during our down time so you guys can experience this.

BlueFirePony
05-23-2010, 09:48 PM
So, please help me to remember to plan this trip to Race Control during our down time so you guys can experience this.
<reminder>
Too soon? :wink:

gt40
05-23-2010, 10:34 PM
Well, since I came into racing from a different direction (corner working, mainly,) I had a little different perspective to begin with.

I will say, though, that it IS educational. Running a race ain't easy, especially with big fields and lots of contact (I'm not pointing fingers -- some groups have a lot of contact, and that has to be kept track of.)

True story -- First NASA Nationals, 2006, Mid Ohio. I'm working the finish line, flagging one of the championship races. Last Lap: the corner stations are calling around the race leader so we can be ready to throw the checker. I've got the flag and I'm on the com-loop, along with another worker (we have two so we can throw multiple flags.)

The leader spins in the last corner on the last lap! The corner workers haven't been calling around P2 and I have no idea where P2 is!

I'm talking with race control (I called in the spin,) trying to either figure out where P2 is, or to get clearance to extend the race by one lap. Race control is trying to track down P2 and contact the series directors (multiple classes in this race,) to figure out if we can extend, and there's chatter amongst the corner workers, trying to find P2 -- all on the same channel.

I get my request in when I call in the spin and then I shut up. I'm watching the leader s-l-o-w-l-y getting out of the grass and back onto the track. Cars are passing him and I'm wondering if one of them was P2 while I was frantically replaying the race in my head to figure out for myself who P2 is.

About 10 seconds later (that was a LONG 10 seconds!) Timing and Scoring calls into control on another line and gives him the P2 car number, Race control calls out the corner workers to find P2. P2 is found, about 10 seconds behind the leader, who's now on track and getting back up to speed. P1 crosses with a few seconds to spare, having had about a 30-second lead over P2.

That was an exciting race, for sure. It felt good to throw the checker, knowing T&S made the call, and not having to rely on anyone less authoritative (like me!)

(In 2006, the big electronic board on the tower on the hill wasn't used, or I could have just looked at that.

JasonLiiR
05-25-2010, 12:36 AM
Being at all the races my dad used to corner work for SCCA while i was younger and actually being the logger for many events and now having worked my first corner two weeks ago and having worked grid Friday, Saturday and Sunday for the NARRA Viper Days at TWS this past weekend really gives you a behind the scenes look I guess you could say at how many people and how much time goes into allowing us to race, make it safe, and make it easier by helping get all the groups to flow smoothly from group to group out of track. I actually find it rather interesting.

Mrs. Crumpacker
05-25-2010, 11:42 AM
I'm am glad ya'll are planning to do this. I have worked up in control (not just with NASA) and on corner for over 3 years now, and it is completely different experience from anything else. If I am at an event spectating, I usually feel pretty oblivious even though I know there are a lot of feet scrambling to make it look calm.

Just remember, please be very quiet when in the same room as control. We have to listen to the radios to do our job efficiently. :wink:

Adam Ginsberg
05-25-2010, 01:25 PM
As someone who's worked in the tower several times as a Race Director (Mid-O in 2008 as the CMC/FFR RD, MMR in 2009 as the CMC/FFR RD, as well as several stints in SoCal and NorCal), it is absolutely an eye-opener.

Every racer should be required to spend an entire weekend working in Race Control. It will give you a new perspective.