PDA

View Full Version : BBQ Grills

Rob Liebbe
05-30-2010, 10:22 AM
We've decided to get a better BBQ grill. I'm tired of the cheap steel one rusting out. So, I looking for suggestions. I'm looking for advice on brand, grade level, cooking surface, material, purchase store, parts availability, etc. This will be on my covered back porch, exposed to heat and humidity, family use, priced moderately, and I will buy a cover for it.

Thanks for your help.
Rob

Al Fernandez
05-30-2010, 10:37 AM
Similarly to a garage, you cant have too much room or too many Btus. If you're going gas, look for burners running front to back instead of side to side. Its much more difficult if not outright impossible to have cool and hot areas when cooking different foods simultaneously with side to side burners. Look for thickness on the hood and walls to keep the heat in.

I bought a big stainless steel unit from Sams Club (their private brand...Members Mark) five years ago and its been serving us well. I'd do it again.

gt40
05-30-2010, 11:01 AM
If gas, go with propane. It's more energy-dense than natural gas. Charcoal is still the best fuel, though.

It's tough to beat a plain-old Weber kettle grill.

Think about getting a grill/smoker instead.

ShadowBolt
05-30-2010, 01:45 PM
We purchased a DCS gas grill back in 1997 and it still works perfect.

http://www.dcsranges.com/item_name_DCS-30-Inch-Propane-Gas-Grill-On-Cart-w-Single-Door-BGB30-BQR_path_7144_item_516715.html

These units have 1" diameter stainless steel burner tubes and a infrared back burnerfor the rotisserie. These are not inexpensive grills but they will last you a lifetime.
Shop around as I found ours $500.00 less at my propane dealer than at the BBQ stores.

JJ

Rob Liebbe
05-30-2010, 04:08 PM
Nice grill Jerry, but a lot more than I want to spend. Thanks.

ShadowBolt
05-30-2010, 06:25 PM
Nice grill Jerry, but a lot more than I want to spend. Thanks.

Yes but I will never have to buy another one.

Jay has a Weber gas grill that is very nice for way less money and I have the Weber Baby Q in the RV and it works great.

JJ

David Love AI27
05-31-2010, 11:04 AM
I'm currently using 4 cinder blocks and a piece of expanded metal... make sure to put the expanded metal inside to prevent rusting... air flow can be regulaed buy rolling blocks a 1/4 turn... currently its sitting on dirt, I might splurge a little and make a "floor" with some 1' X 1' stepping stones (Lowes sells the broken ones VERY cheap)...

BTW... "you might be a redneck" if you respond to someone's grill question with the above advice...

Rob Liebbe
05-31-2010, 01:32 PM
:lol: I bet it works as good as my store bought grill.

donovan
06-01-2010, 11:55 AM
Back when they were called New Braunfels Smoker's I bought a Silver Smoker, 10 years ago.

It still looks great and works great!

http://www.charbroil.com/ProductInfo/10-16-1286/Silver-Smoker-BBQ-and-Grill.aspx

It was sold only at Academy & HEB back in the day, but now I heard you can get them at Home Depot and its branded as Char Broil.

http://www.charbroil.com/Product/1286/Silver-Smoker-BBQ-and-Grill.aspx

I have smoked a whole Turkey before, Grilled 10 lbs of fajitas and once I had 25 burgers cooking all at once... you can also grill a single steak! You can fit two 15+ lbs Briskets in there too!!

Great for Smoking, Grilling or BBQ! and still under $200.

The metal is thick enough for cooking with WOOD as well, sometimes I will cook a steak with only oak and mesquite, its amazing!

Al Fernandez
06-01-2010, 08:49 PM
My in-laws have the same thing that David linked to, and its worked well for them as well. If going charcoal I'd probably go that route.

Jerry...you're nuts! :lol:

Boudy
06-02-2010, 10:16 PM
I bought one of the Lowe's drop in units. Don't remember brand label but it's built elsewhere and the label in merely licensed anyways. Rotisserie burner is OK if you buy a rotisserie rack and the hot dog roller add-on to the rotisserie rack is OK too. It cooks hot in the rear which irritates me to no end but I don't think I've ever had one that was even.

I also have a Big Green Egg. Don't use it too often because it takes some prep work if you smoke with it. Soaking chips and all... I just got spoiled and lazy with propane.

All in all I was hoping that a built-in would be nice but it's the same junk as everything else. Maybe one day I'll opt for a high end built-in or maybe NOT. The Egg is hands down a wonderful smoker but I haven't had time to cook for enjoyment in years. Grilling for 20 every summer Sunday became work and propane made it easier.

Boudy

BryanL
06-03-2010, 12:02 PM

http://www.dcsranges.com/item_name_DCS-30-Inch-Propane-Gas-Grill-On-Cart-w-Single-Door-BGB30-BQR_path_7144_item_516715.html

These units have 1" diameter stainless steel burner tubes and a infrared back burnerfor the rotisserie. These are not inexpensive grills but they will last you a lifetime.
Shop around as I found ours $500.00 less at my propane dealer than at the BBQ stores.

JJ

I have the exact same DCS grill bought in 2000. Still looks like its 6 months old. I do need to do a little rebuild on the ceramic pieces that will run about $200. But it works great and will last longer than 10 of the $500 ones from Lowes.

ShadowBolt
06-03-2010, 02:21 PM

JJ

I have the exact same DCS grill bought in 2000. Still looks like its 6 months old. I do need to do a little rebuild on the ceramic pieces that will run about $200. But it works great and will last longer than 10 of the $500 ones from Lowes.

Thanks BL. I replaced the ceramic tubes on mine after about 10 years and that's all I have ever done to it. It also does not have hot spots. Even heat all accross the grill surface. See Al I may be nuts but I have company.

JJ