PDA

View Full Version : Raise your hand if you've actually read the 2010 CCR

mitchntx
07-09-2010, 11:26 PM
All this drawing the CCR like a six-shooter at a gun fight has prompted me to refresh myself ...

23.1.1 Good Sportsmanship
NASA considers good sportsmanship to be the very essence of the sport, and the basic foundation of any competition. Competitors are expected to hold the qualities of fairness, honesty, courtesy, and justice to be more important than the outcome of the race. Real sportsmen/women may have an intense desire to win, but not at all costs. A person that has won by cheating, or by any means less than honorable, has simply found a way to acquire a trophy, but not a victory. The actual winner is the true
sportsman/woman that might go home with nothing in his/her hands, yet his/her heart is overflowing with satisfaction. This satisfaction comes from understanding that the value of winning is not found in a trophy, but rather in the sheer pleasure of playing the sport with honesty, fairness, and integrity. This affords total fulfillment during times of introspection, and validates that fulfillment by earning valuable respect from fellow competitors. NASA will demonstrate its commitment to good sportsmanship by rewarding the driver that displays the most outstanding acts of sportsmanship each season. There will be a trophy presentation and prizes for the person chosen as the recipient of the “Best Sportsmanship” award at the season banquet (regionally).

Anyone know who received the Best Sportsmanship trophy last year?

23.1.2 Unsportsmanlike Conduct
Any unsportsmanlike conduct, on any scale, is not welcome at NASA events. Acts of unsportsmanlike conduct have many forms such as arguing, yelling, intimidation, aggressive physical contact, and losing without grace. Other forms are willfully using non-performance technicalities to hurt another competitor’s point standings to the benefit
of one’s own, “sandbagging,” and failing to report a mistake in scoring that benefits themselves. No form of unsportsmanlike conduct will be tolerated at any NASA event. Competitors that show poor sportsmanship due to a mistake in judgment will be educated, and punished if necessary. However, competitors that commit repeated acts of unsportsmanlike conduct cannot be educated; therefore expulsion is most likely the
only remedy.

Thats a broad, sweeping scythe ...

23.1.3 Knowledge and Possession of the Rules
All drivers must know all of the rules, especially those pertaining to safety items. Additionally, all drivers must have the appropriate rule books in their possession, or have immediate access to them at all times.

hmmm ....

25.4 Rules For Overtaking
25.4.1 Passing General
The responsibility for the decision to pass another car, and to do it safely, rests with the overtaking driver. The overtaken driver should be aware that he/she is being passed and must not impede the pass by blocking. A driver who does not watch his/her mirrors or who appears to be blocking another car seeking a pass may be black-flagged and/or penalized. The act of passing is initiated when the trailing car’s (Car A) front bumper
overlaps with the lead car’s (Car B) rear bumper. The act of passing is complete when Car A’s rear bumper is ahead of Car B’s front bumper. “NO PASSING” means a pass cannot even be initiated. Any overlap in a NO PASSING area is considered illegal.

The CCR clearly says that BOTH drivers play a role in safe passing and that a pass BEGINS when bumpers overlap.

25.4.2 Punting.
The term “punting” is defined as nose to tail (or side-of-the-nose to side-of-the-tail) contact, where the leading car is significantly knocked off of the racing line. Once the trailing car has its front wheel next to the driver of the other vehicle, it is considered that the trailing car has a right to be there. And, that the leading driver must leave the trailing driver enough “racing room.” In most cases, “racing room” is defined as “at least three quarters of one car width.” If adequate racing room is left for the trailing car, and there is incidental contact made between the cars, the contact will be considered “side-to-side.” In most cases, incidental side-to-side contact is considered to be “just a racing incident.” If, in the case of side-to-side contact, one of the two cars leaves the racing surface
(involuntarily) then it may still be considered “a racing incident.”

I thought there would have been harsher words condemning punting ...

I also never saw this little nugget ...

In most cases, “racing room” is defined as “at least three quarters of one car width.”

I had always thought it was absolute. But "in most cases" leaves it wide open ... could be more, could be less. Interesting.

26.0 APPENDIX A

The purpose of this appendix is to review and clarify the rules of the road as applied to NASA road racing. The following is are excerpts from the NASA Club Codes and Regulations (CCR)

25.3 Rough Driving
Any driver, deemed by the Race Director, displaying rough or unsportsmanlike driving might be penalized. The Race Director shall determine the course of action. [Note: In some cases the driver will be required to spend time with the Chief Driving Instructor. The intent is to educate the driver on safer methods of racing.] If a driver is determined,
by the Race Director, to be at fault in a collision that sent the other car significantly off the track, he/she may be disqualified from the race or qualifying (different rules apply to enduros). The Race Director has the right to waive or modify this penalty should the situation warrant.

25.4.2 Punting.
The term “punting” is defined as nose to tail (or side-of-the-nose to side-of-the-tail) contact, where the leading car is significantly knocked off of the racing line. Once the trailing car has its front wheel next to the driver of the other, it is considered that the trailing car has a right to be there. And, that the leading driver must leave the trailing driver enough “racing room.” In most cases, “racing room” is defined as “at least three quarters of one car width.” If adequate racing room is left for the trailing car, and
there is incidental contact made between the cars, the contact will be considered “sideto-side.” In most cases, incidental side-to-side contact is considered to be “just a racing incident.” If, in the case of side-to-side contact, one of the two cars leaves the racing surface (involuntarily) then it may still be considered “a racing incident.” [Note: The whole intent of the “wheel next to the driver” rule is to make sure that the overtaken
driver sees the overtaking driver.]

Notes:
These two rules are the basis by which the IRB or Race Director will determine fault when two (2) or more cars are involved in an on-track incident. The rules described in CCR section #25.4 are intended to help drivers determine when they should attempt a pass, and who may be at fault should there be an incident. The main purpose of the “¾
car width” rule is not to allow one driver to “squeeze” the other driver. The main purpose and intent is to alert the mind of the driver that is contemplating a pass that he/she may be “forced” to go two (2) wheels off-course to avoid a collision. Basically, this means that the overtaking driver must be certain that he/she can attempt the pass with room to
spare, and must be prepared to take evasive action if necessary.
Lastly, remember that, even though you have the “right of way” it may not be smart to insist upon it. You may be involved in a collision that was not your fault, but you may end up crashing your car, sustain damage, get hurt, or at the very least be punted out of the race. The other driver may get penalties, but that will not help you fix your car, get your position back, or get you out of the hospital any faster.

Lots to read but some very good nuggets in there. That last, bolded section sums up my point of view this whole time.

You aren't giving up, letting go, eliminating your manhood ... you are just racing to go again another day. The sun will rise tomorrow ...

Go to page 119 and see figure 12. Wow!

I was specifically looking for the wording that says the overtaking car's front wheel must be even with the overtaken's driver at turn in for that coveted 3/4 car width. I didn't see it any where. Please show me ...

GlennCMC70
07-10-2010, 01:36 AM
I was specifically looking for the wording that says the overtaking car's front wheel must be even with the overtaken's driver at turn in for that coveted 3/4 car width. I didn't see it any where. Please show me ...

25.4.2 Punting.
The term “punting” is defined as nose to tail (or side-of-the-nose to side-of-the-tail) contact, where the leading car is significantly knocked off of the racing line. Once the trailing car has its front wheel next to the driver of the other, it is considered that the trailing car has a right to be there. And, that the leading driver must leave the trailing driver enough “racing room.” In most cases, “racing room” is defined as “at least three quarters of one car width.” If adequate racing room is left for the trailing car, and
there is incidental contact made between the cars, the contact will be considered “sideto-side.” In most cases, incidental side-to-side contact is considered to be “just a racing incident.” If, in the case of side-to-side contact, one of the two cars leaves the racing surface (involuntarily) then it may still be considered “a racing incident.” [Note: The whole intent of the “wheel next to the driver” rule is to make sure that the overtaken
driver sees the overtaking driver.]

GlennCMC70
07-10-2010, 01:38 AM
I see your point now. Your looking for the "turn-in" part.

mitchntx
07-10-2010, 01:59 AM
Yeah, being as it was the part of our "open and honest communication" today. :wink:

Adam Ginsberg
07-12-2010, 07:26 PM
The CCR is updated several times each year. Currently, NASA has v2010.6 published on it's website - that's 6 revisions so for for 2010. It was last updated on 4/2/2010 @ 12:20 PM.

Downloading the CCR's monthly throughout the season is a wise idea. Reading them regularly is also a wise idea.

As such, Mitch, are you saying you've never seen or read page 119 of the CCR, given the number of years you've been racing???

mitchntx
07-12-2010, 07:41 PM
As such, Mitch, are you saying you've never seen or read page 119 of the CCR, given the number of years you've been racing???

Nice try ... Don't read into it so much ...

Still can't believe an overtaking car can blow a turn, the overtaken car can turn in as he/she normally would, contact occurs and it's the overtaken driver's fault.

Just seems odd that all other scenarios has the person who screws up or screws up first gets blamed.

Its the only example whereby I can see the CCR would deem at fault the person driving his/her normal line with rights to that line.

Based upon conversations recently, the overtaking driver would be deemed at fault in this scenario, "using lack of control" or "overly aggressive move" as the excuse.

Does that overly explain it to you?

In hind-sight, during the IRB, Figure 12 could've been applied to the Al vs Jerry incident.

GlennCMC70
07-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Figure 12 does not apply due to car B (Jerry) not having rights to position (which is illustrated in figure 12) in the real world example you feel this applies to.

mitchntx
07-12-2010, 09:06 PM
I don't see the terms "rights to position" ... I do see "attempts an inside pass".

The act of passing is initiated when the trailing car’s (Car A) front bumper
overlaps with the lead car’s (Car B) rear bumper.

GlennCMC70
07-12-2010, 09:37 PM
You cannot select only a single rule to apply to a given situation. You are correct in your understanding of when a pass starts and stops. Figure B illustrates rights to position w/ the placement of car B along side car A.

25.4.1 Passing General
The responsibility for the decision to pass another car, and to do it safely, rests with the overtaking driver. The overtaken driver should be aware that he/she is being passed and must not impede the pass by blocking. A driver who does not watch his/her mirrors or who appears to be blocking another car seeking a pass may be black-flagged and/or
penalized. The act of passing is initiated when the trailing car’s (Car A) front bumper overlaps with the lead car’s (Car B) rear bumper. The act of passing is complete when Car A’s rear bumper is ahead of Car B’s front bumper. “NO PASSING” means a pass cannot even be initiated. Any overlap in a NO PASSING area is considered illegal.

25.4.3 Right to the Line
The driver in front has the right to choose any line, so long as not to be considered blocking. The driver attempting to make a pass shall have the right to the line when their front wheel is next to the driver of the other vehicle. Note: This rule may be superseded by class specific rules.

mitchntx
07-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Again, I think that's where you and I diverge.

In your interpretation, a person "dive bombing" has rights to the line based simply on where the front wheel is.

In the illustration seen Figure 12, car B doesn't even have to attempt to turn.

That's ludicrous ...

Rob Liebbe
07-12-2010, 11:35 PM
I will say that I have not read revision 6 of the 2010 CCR.

I will also say that I have never like the way the passing rules are written. I approach them with an extra dose of conservatism in the name of safety and clean racing.

I will say that hiding behind or justifying aggressive, or dangerous, or stupid, or whatever you want to call it behavior on track by use of rules that are questionable needs to be stopped immediately. There is too much risk of car damage, ruined weekends, ruined seasons, ruined frienships, ruined series, personal injury and death for this to continue. Obviously, there are those that are correct per the rules. Sometimes the rules need to be evaluated. I think we are at that point in time. We, meaning everyone on both sides of this argument, need to see immediate prgoress or we will lose more than we can ever regain.

Todd Covini
07-13-2010, 12:23 AM
"Note: This rule may be superseded by class specific rules."

There it is in 25.4.3....now go read my post in Al's apology.

-=- Todd

mitchntx
07-13-2010, 05:26 AM
And to that end, Rob, Al and I spent 2 hours of quality time on the phone last night.

My take away from that conversation is that every one with a single digit on the their car has the rights to the line.

And just like Moses at the shores of the Red Sea, the field must move over and let those with a one and a nine (single digits only, Jeff) pass unimpeded.

Progress ... finally!

Al Fernandez
07-13-2010, 07:37 AM
:lol: Mitch, I'm good with that!
The entire set of examples in the back of the CCR makes for good understanding that A: the rules have to be taken as a set, not as one liners independent of each other and B: there is going to be an awful lot of interpretation of the specifics of each incident in order to reach a decision.

Figure 12 is not meant to indemnify the overtaking car from having to stick to the inside. Notice where the contact occurs at point 3. The overtaking driver is clearly farther forward than the one being overtaken.

GlennCMC70
07-13-2010, 07:38 AM
Again, I think that's where you and I diverge.
Diverge how? In that the whole rulebook needs to be taken into account? Or rights to position criteria?

In your interpretation, a person "dive bombing" has rights to the line based simply on where the front wheel is.
Dive Bombing is not an offence in itself. And no, thats not the only criteria. Was the driver in control when position was established as in were his tires locked up? If thats how position was gained, then no, rights to position was not gained/established (while in control of the car).

In the illustration seen Figure 12, car B doesn't even have to attempt to turn.

That's ludicrous ...
I didn't agree w/ your earlier application of figure 12 to the Al/Jerry contact at MSR-C. It does not however mean I disagree w/ your feelings on the fault assigned in figure 12. Given that scenario, I'll do all I can to find fault to car B. I may not be able to, but I'll try. There are many rules w/in the CCR's and Series rules in which I do not agree with. BUT, I am required to follow them as a racer, and I'm required to enforce them as a Director. If in some crazy world you found yourself in the position as a Director (and we all know you have refused multiple times), what would you use to justify your actions as a Director? Hopefully it would be some official document that will validate your actions. If not, and you just refer to your "gut feel" you will not last long.

So, Rights to Position, when a Pass is Initiated/Completed, is the car in control, and all those other rules must be viewed together to paint a full picture of assigned fault. There is an order in which those things must happen as well. The order of importance is not always the same.

mitchntx
07-13-2010, 08:25 AM
Uncle

http://ant.sillydog.org/blog/pic/monkey_n_cat.jpg

Todd Covini
07-13-2010, 06:56 PM
We will start the bidding for #2 at $500 tonight at 8pm.

evarner
07-14-2010, 07:33 AM
We will start the bidding for #2 at $500 tonight at 8pm.

Shouldn't the owner of #2 be made aware of this first? :lol: Price should be $4500 and includes a car to stick the number on. Any takers? 8) :lol:

jeffburch
07-14-2010, 05:08 PM
Learn the styles and habits of the other drivers around you. I know to watch out for Glenn to dive me at turn in, Burch used to do it too, Corey is bad about it too, and Varner and Wirtz will do it as well, just not as aggressively as Glenn. I'm learning how to do it as well.

Why is this a bad thing? :roll: The pass initiated under braking is the heart of the art that is road racing. Why are you lumping all of us in with this Glenn bash fest?

This whole subject smells of the aged old "haves" vs. "have nots" (talent).

Danika's vs. Milka's. :wink:

jb

evarner
07-15-2010, 07:40 AM
Learn the styles and habits of the other drivers around you. I know to watch out for Glenn to dive me at turn in, Burch used to do it too, Corey is bad about it too, and Varner and Wirtz will do it as well, just not as aggressively as Glenn. I'm learning how to do it as well.

With 217rwhp and 270rwtq at my disposal (not counting the Jenny Craig candidate #2 car), it was very clear the only place to pass was in <cough> the corners.

Remember.. brakes are for turning. 8)

Give me an inch -I will take it, slap you upside the head with it and then giggle as the door closes on ya. <kidding!!> Yes, you can have my Bud Light. 8)

BryanL
07-15-2010, 03:41 PM

Why is this a bad thing? :roll: The pass initiated under braking is the heart of the art that is road racing.
Is that what Stacy (or whatever her name is) said when she hit you in her stock car at TWS? Seemed like it was a bad thing then?

Seriously though, to me some are willing to sacrifice more to win the medal and that doesn't just mean there car or just on the track. Some don't take it that serious and simply enjoy this hobby. It just cracks me up to see people cast stones at someone who plays in this sandbox differently than the other guy. Obviously though everyone should be on the same page as far as contact as per the rules.

So which part of the rule book carry's the most weight? The subsets about passing or the broad reaching rules concerning sportsmanship, etc?

jeffburch
07-16-2010, 04:36 AM
Fun? There's your rub.
Fun is going to the front for some, to others its just riding around.
Just like on public roads huh?
George Carlin used to say "ever notice the people driving slower than you? They're f'n assholes. And the people driving faster than you, they're f'n assholes."

Jb

Fbody383
07-18-2010, 02:49 PM
This whole subject smells of the aged old "haves" vs. "have nots" (talent).

So, uh... you got the list?

I know which side I'm on.