PDA

View Full Version : After the TWS Heat

BryanL
08-01-2010, 07:01 PM
It was definitely a scorcher. Look forward to the reports from actual racers instead of me, Richard Alastair. But below is my report.

Results are up on Mylaps. Congrats to Patterson, Kellam and Wirtz for sweeping all 4. Congrats to some new faces on the podium as well.

Hit an 18 wheeler blowout on the way down Friday evening for my only incident of the weekend that broke a fog light. Made it in time for a good group dinner at Ozona's. Mosty was having a little trouble with a noise from his new brake bling but couldn't find anything wrong. For the first time I crashed at Mustang Ranch and now I'm likely going to look at a mustang this week.

Turnout was light across the board but our group still started with about 20. When will Nasatx learn that racing in August is going to hurt attendance. Though I still enjoyed hanging in the gaarage.

Still love the breakfast burrito's with green salsa to help out a small headache-thanks Jerry. Mosty didn't bring his Goody's headache powder and his shoulder issues took over before Race 1. So he spent the rest of the day with a Frank special arm sling with intemittent ice packs held on with orange racer tape. Good race 1 without any drama that I could tell.

Race 2 had the big one. I'm sure there will be video up soon. But with pictures, texts, and emails swirling yesterday evening some are probably wondering what happened. Glenn was making a pass on the inside of Rob. Glenn's rearend got real loose in front of Rob. As it looked like it might be saved Glenn's car did a super fast 180 which resulted in slamming his right front wheel into the front of Rob's. It's likely the last race for the Yahoo Racing fox body. Extremely unfortunate for both since they were going to Nats.
Thanks to Todd for the orange slush drinks that turned into margaritas. It was a hot day but everyone was ready to relax and have some fun. Another great dinner at Fuzzie's Taco's with lots of habanero sauce. Then a nice drive back to Plano. Luckily I was looking at my phone when I merged into the other lane and looked up to pass a deer in the lane I was in. So don't know anything about Sunday other than what's on mylaps.

JasonLiiR
08-01-2010, 07:42 PM
Love in it Racing came away from the weekend with the car still in one peice with a 5th, 2nd and 2 3rds for the weekend with Jason Love posting the cars fastest lap time on Saturday with a 2:01.1 still leaving much room for improvement. Finished Saturday with a 5th and a 2nd. Thank you Todd for bringing the machine and making the orange slushes during the day which were life savers in the 4 o'clock afternoon heat. Driving duties on Sunday were taken over by David Love giving the team two 3rds helping our points race going into the final event at ECR. Overall a great weekend for LiiR.

AllZWay
08-01-2010, 08:03 PM
Man that sucks for Rob and Glenn. Surely Rob's car can be put back together.

I actually enjoyed the AC today and Broken Bow Lake yesterday. :lol:

GlennCMC70
08-01-2010, 08:36 PM
Aside from all the suspension parts (sans the hub, rotor and caliper) the strut towers (where the upper shock mounts) is 1.5 - 2 inches closer together. I'm sure Rob can generate larger numbers than that.

Car is pretty much done.

GlennCMC70
08-01-2010, 08:42 PM
http://www.aicmctexas.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=48870#48870

Shortcutsleeping
08-01-2010, 09:40 PM
http://www.vimeo.com/13812281

A clip from Saturday race #2 start from the top of my trailer.

Costas
cars and such...

JasonLiiR
08-01-2010, 10:51 PM
I like that video. Too bad I didn't get a big enough lead to out run Jeff to the finish.

jeremiahkellam
08-02-2010, 11:35 AM
It was hot as a 4 balled tom cat!!!!

James, sorry about your uncle...Jeremy and Jerry, get yo shit fixed!! Miguel, get well soon, and Al... I don't know what your exuse was.. :wink:

I had a blast watching "C_UMPACKER" inching his way closer....Great driving dude!!!

The inverts were fun and VERY interesting.

TEAM AST SWEEPS THE TOP STEP!!!!!!! Get some!!

Wirtz
08-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Agreed, nice job from Sam stepping it up.

Tough weekend for just about everyone and the cars. Seemed like everyone was talking about water or oil or driver temps are some point.

In CMC there was plenty of good stuff throughout the field but I did want to call out both the LiiR guys for running good and Gary R for a good weekend and a very strong Sunday. Race 4 especially where he threw down a great move in traffic going into the esses and was able to open a nice lead, then clicked off a series of consistent laps. Nice stuff.

edrock96GT
08-02-2010, 02:50 PM
Despite the heat, I had an awesome time once again! The car held up, the brake pads lasted (exactly) to the end...and I learned that I need to fix my fuel gauge :oops: More importantly I was learning to drive the AI car with the CMC motor to the best of my ability.

But the most important thing was that I got to spend another great weekend with a great group of people! See you all at ECR :D

Wade
08-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Thanks to everyone for the help working on and diagnosing the car. I must not be doing something right because I was pushing so hard in race 1 trying to run down Gary (a CMC1 car with less power and more weight, but obviously a better driver) that I wasn't paying attention to the temp gauge. The car overheated and hasn't been right since. We thought we had it fixed after removing a stuck thermostat. Thanks to ALL for not pile driving me after I missed a gear at the start of race 4. That was all me. I wish I could blame that one on the car. The motor comes out soon. Let's hope it is just a head gasket and not something worse.

ShadowBolt
08-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Thanks to everyone for the help working on and diagnosing the car. I must not be doing something right because I was pushing so hard in race 1 trying to run down Gary (a CMC1 car with less power and more weight, but obviously a better driver) that I wasn't paying attention to the temp gauge. The car overheated and hasn't been right since. We thought we had it fixed after removing a stuck thermostat. Thanks to ALL for not pile driving me after I missed a gear at the start of race 4. That was all me. I wish I could blame that one on the car. The motor comes out soon. Let's hope it is just a head gasket and not something worse.

Is the wind deflector still on the car? After I installed it the car never ran hot but without it running hot was normal. I hope it's okay. That was a brand new DSS shortblock not to long ago. Good luck!

JJ

Todd Covini
08-02-2010, 09:11 PM
Yup...Gary R. and Jason L. really stepped up with some fast, consistent times! Podiums for both guys! Jason leading for a good half race. Other notables are David Neary's first podiums in AI and Sam's first podiums in CMC2.

We didn't do enough to celebrate all the victories last weekend, guys. In the heat, standing around in firesuits to take pictures would have been tough.

Let's make a point of recognizing these folks at our next event with podium pics!

-=- Todd

Wade
08-03-2010, 05:28 PM

Is the wind deflector still on the car? After I installed it the car never ran hot but without it running hot was normal. I hope it's okay. That was a brand new DSS shortblock not to long ago. Good luck!

JJ

The wind deflector is intact. I'm going to do some more diagnosing tonight with the help of some knowledgeable friends and see what it looks like before I start tearing everything apart.

David Love AI27
08-03-2010, 06:40 PM
Let's make a point of recognizing these folks at our next event with podium pics!

-=- Todd

Sheri got some good shots from T10 on Sat afternoon with her new camera... She might be the new series photog and round you guys up for podium pics if you want... she takes on projects seriously so don't ask her to do it if you are not serious...