PDA

View Full Version : TWS 2010 Liebbe

Rob Liebbe
08-01-2010, 09:17 PM
As you may have heard by now, there was a crash this weekend involving myself and Landrum. It involved Glenn out braking me to the inside of TWS turn 4 while we were running clockwise. The rear of his car stepped out counterclockwise (as viewed from above), then drifted, and then reversed to clockwise back toward track right as we exited the turn. I was behind him as he turned back to the right and I ran straight into his RF wheel with a very hard hit. We both got off track to the right and ended up safely out of the way on the back straight of the oval behind a wall. There was no fist fight as some feared and we are both physically ok.

Glenn’s car suffered broken RF suspension components and RF fender. My car took the brunt of it and doesn’t look very promising right now. I will know more in a few days as I get the chance to remove some sheet metal.

I’m still a bit in shock and very disappointed that this happened as I was looking forward to Nationals. I am glad that we are both ok as some who saw my video said it was the hardest hit they had ever seen.

My reaction and demeanor at the track afterwards was intentionally calm and reserved. I’m a fairly even-keeled person and I saw no reason or benefit in hysterics or drama. NASA officials responded immediately with concern for our safety and a review of the incident was started.

I would like to thank the TWS response team(s) for their care, concern, and service.

I would also like to thank all of my competitors and friends from Texas and beyond who helped load the car and have contacted me with offers of parts, help, and time, even their own cars to help me get back on track and even make Nationals. This only proves to me once again that this is the best racing group in the world. I will be back in the saddle before too long but exactly when and in what car is up in the air at this time. My wonderful wife is being very supportive, but not quite allowing a blank check in either money or time – fair enough.

Video - posted in agreement between Glenn and I

http://vimeo.com/13810218

Pictures

Crumpacker
08-01-2010, 09:51 PM
wow, that was a very hard hit... it didn't look fun from my vantage point, but the in-car shows the true impact.

Glad you guys are ok!

Fbody383
08-01-2010, 09:54 PM
There was no fist fight as some feared and we are both physically ok.Foremost, it's good to know you guys are ok. It looked like a wicked hit. I expect the other comment is tongue in cheek; I'm sure that emotions were running high but both you guys are above that.

I would like to thank the TWS response team(s) for their care, concern, and service.Absolutely true; and without safety folks, we don't get to do what we do.

I'm much closer to Rob and I don't know that I have much to offer, but I would love for both you guys to make nationals. If there's something I can do to help, let me know.

AllZWay
08-02-2010, 08:46 AM
That was a nasty looking hit. Glad no one was hurt and hopefully both cars can be fixed.

GlennCMC70
08-02-2010, 09:54 AM
My car is done. I'll be using the money that would fix it on my new car.

Everyone please focus on Rob and helping him out.

Al Fernandez
08-02-2010, 10:32 AM
That is a hard hit, thankfully you two are ok. I'm glad to hear cooler heads prevailed in the heat of the moment too.

Well crap, with you guys going to Nationals it was basically a done deal that Texas would wear the CMC crown again. If there is anything I can do let me know.

AllZWay
08-02-2010, 11:21 AM
My car is done. I'll be using the money that would fix it on my new car.

Everyone please focus on Rob and helping him out.

Glenn... Unfortunately I don't have any parts that could help out Rob...but I probably a few that could help you get back on the track.

gt40
08-02-2010, 11:48 AM
Glenn... Unfortunately I don't have any parts that could help out Rob...but I probably a few that could help you get back on the track.Just saw the video -- wow. Big hit. I don't think there's anything either driver could have done. Sometimes racing sucks.

Rob, Glen, if there's anything I can do to help, pl3ease let me know.

marshall_mosty
08-02-2010, 07:43 PM
Rob,
Saw the video... That sucks mucho grande balls. I hope you have a recovery plan in action... Saw Varner's car now has a "sale pending".

Good luck. Let us know if there is anything you need.

David Love AI27
08-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Rob,

Please don't give up, yet. I have 3 options at the moment.

1.) I have a donor car for parts compliments of Mrs. Crumpacker.
2.) I have the 10 car that with the support of AICMCTexas could be a CMC car used to support the series as a team effort
3.) you could switch over to the other side and run the 3 car with the approval of the co-owner

plan 1 would involve getting the frame straightened on your car and getting the body parts from my donor car (gotta cut down the bambo growing through the engine compartment)

plan 2 would involve some financial support from the group to convert my 10 car into a legal CMC car wich I'm willing to commit to pay back to the group when I can...

plan 3 would need the support from my co-owner and some "freshing" of the 3 car...

any comments?

David Love AI27
08-02-2010, 08:56 PM
PS.. I have the time...

GlennCMC70
08-02-2010, 09:20 PM
Some pics. Not anywhere as ugly as Robs.
One pic has some numbers written w/ a marker. Circled number is what the measurement is, the other is what it is suposed to be.

AllZWay
08-03-2010, 09:01 AM
That definitely took a good hit.

Drop the engine and place a port-a-power against the the firewall and frame on the other side and a couple of good pushes and you could probably get it pretty close.

Wirtz
08-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Wait, I thought the circle track way was to loop a chain around the bumper of a truck and then gun it.

I'll offer up a truck :)

Waco Racer
08-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Wait, I thought the circle track way was to loop a chain around the bumper of a truck and then gun it.

I'll offer up a truck :)

I have a chain. :twisted:

GlennCMC70
08-03-2010, 12:22 PM
I've got the beer. Cant do this kind of shit sober ya know.

Fbody383
08-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Might as well get BL and a cooler lid at this point...

David Love AI27
08-03-2010, 06:43 PM
I've got the beer. Cant do this kind of shit sober ya know.

Sheri has the camera... and I can hold the beer

Al Fernandez
08-05-2010, 05:13 PM
I have a camera :lol:

Boudy
08-09-2010, 11:58 AM
WOW! :shock: I just heard about this and so I'm just seeing the video.

Rob: I need a favor, I've got some new tires that I need heat cycled before the off season. Please pick them up at my shop and take them to Nationals for me. BTW: "Don't remove them from the car!" I'll even have them them loaded in the trailer if need be.

I just can't stand the thought of these tires going the off season without being cycled so I'm counting on you Rob. Don't let me down buddy!

Boudy

rleng1
08-10-2010, 04:10 AM
he needs to put a big 'DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS' sticker on it.