PDA

View Full Version : CMC 2 3rd gen

K Shaw
09-20-2010, 09:47 AM
Anyone in TX running or building a cmc 2 3rd gen.

Been cruising craigslist for the next race car and have been finding a few cheap 3rd gens. Still have not decided on Mustang or Camaro.

kyle

Fbody383
09-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Gary Roberston is going to convert his to an LT1, and I *think* Wirtz is headed that way ~ neither runs 2 now.

Bob Denton ran really strong in 2 at Hallett in his carbed third gen.

K Shaw
09-20-2010, 10:42 AM
I was thinking carbed 305.

Is all of this add on airdams and big arse wings I see on the 2 cars really worth it?

Comparing prices on brakes and other parts between the two platforms before I make a decision.

Fbody383
09-20-2010, 11:16 AM
Is all of this add on airdams and big arse wings I see on the 2 cars really worth it?

No, I don't think it is. Mosty took his wing off and uses a small trunk edge spoiler.

Wirtz
09-20-2010, 12:01 PM
Yeah, my plan is to convert my CMC car to the Deuce for next year.

I'm planning on using an LT1 engine and T5 to begin with. I think Gary R is also looking at an LT1.

And I think Gary Hood is looking at a carbed setup for him 3rd gen, though I can't remember if it was the 305 or the 350 he was looking at...

I think the 3rd gen should still be competitive with the proper work. So as you say the low entry cost on a chassis might be a good thing. Just remember that it also means alot of other parts will need to be refreshed / replaced if you want to get peak performance.

Wings and spoilers? I'm not a fan. I'm running the smallest RS spoiler on my car and I think it works ok. You will get more bang for your buck by getting the engine on the power limits and getting the suspension dialed in to where you like it. Just my opinion.

Jeff

roadracerwhite
09-20-2010, 12:28 PM
Bob and Sidney both run carbed 305's and I run a carbed 350.

Bob makes right at 260 300 and so do I. Sidney's set-up is slightly different and dynoed 25?/28?.

We also have an LT1 in a third gen in our region as well.

mitchntx
09-20-2010, 12:29 PM

I never saw a follow-up. How did that car turn out?

K Shaw
09-20-2010, 12:32 PM
I have more seat time in the F-bod and more wrench time on the Mustang.

Pretty sure I want to go back to the F-bod.

For some reason the F-body just fits me and my lack of driving ability better than the fox chassis mustangs.

I also need to find another truck. Something mid 80s to early 90s I think.

Should have the family moved down here by the end of the month and then I can get started.

Looks like we will be in Georgetown. currenly crashing at my buds place in Roundrock.

If anyone wants to BS over a few beers let me know. I will supply a few PBRs.

Alien
09-20-2010, 12:38 PM
I too hope to be dropping in an LT1 that I have aquired into my third gen and make the jump to CMC2. Hope to keep the T5 behind it as well. All else (16" wheels, 1LE brakes, rear lip spoiler) will stay as they are, CMC compliant. I've got plenty of other wish list items (like an alum driveshaft) to buy before bigger wheels and brakes.

I think Nick V is looking to make the jump to -2 this offseason too. He's going the 305 TPI route.

For the wings, if I'm not mistaken, the only non-AI car in Texas that has an airfoil type wing is Boudy's Fox. The Jordan's have the only other thing I'd call a wing but even at that it's still the factory-ish cobra R wing (maybe they took it off tho).

OT: Brian, do you know if Bob or Sidney had to do anything with clearancing the 305 block to work with the 350 head? With that setup, don't the valves come really close to the cylinder wall? With a thin or steel head gasket, wouldn't the problem be magnified?

edrock96GT
09-20-2010, 01:36 PM
If you can't use a splitter, there's really no sense in having a fully functional wing. They need to work together (that's what Michael told me anyway :wink: ).

ShadowBolt
09-20-2010, 01:52 PM
Our SN95 has the factory type Cobra R wing as Gary said. I took it off at one event this year and could not tell the difference. My son drove it in the next race and he thought it was loose as hell......who knows. I'm not a wing guy (can you say RICE) but it does look good on the black 55. You can see a lot better without it.

JJ

roadracerwhite
09-20-2010, 02:12 PM

I never saw a follow-up. How did that car turn out?

Great, we sold it to Robert Salus and he hs been racing with us all season. The last race the 9 bolt let go in it and now he is going to get a ten bolt for it. That was his first dnf for the season.

This winter he is going to put a fuel cell in it.

Bryan

roadracerwhite
09-20-2010, 02:16 PM
OT: Brian, do you know if Bob or Sidney had to do anything with clearancing the 305 block to work with the 350 head? With that setup, don't the valves come really close to the cylinder wall? With a thin or steel head gasket, wouldn't the problem be magnified?

I don't think he had to do anything there, I'll check with him.

Bryan

K Shaw
09-21-2010, 09:28 AM
This might make a good starter car.

Yeah its a TBI car and drum brake car. That can be fixed.

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/1945594120.html

Wirtz
09-21-2010, 10:18 AM
See how much for the A-team van in the background. That would be a cool tow vehicle.

This is a shot from left field, but I have a complete '92 Camaro I need to part with. It is the exact same config as what I used to build my car, I had bought it as a spare way back.

It is a '92 factory B4C car used by Texas DPS. 305 / 5 speed, hardtop, RS bodywork, with complete 1LE running gear (minus the aluminum driveshaft). But the 1LE package gives you a great starting point for the brakes and sway bars, bushings, better springs, supposed better fual tank... It has the lightest weight body work. The '91 and '92 cars are also supposed to be a bit stiffer as the factory used adhesives in addition to the spot welds...

Anyway, I've owned several of these cars, best of the 3rd gens in my opinion. It's not $1000 cheap though. I'd need to figure out what I want for it since there is a bit of a collector aspect to it. But if you might be interested, let me know.

Jeff
- car is in Round Rock by the way

NickV
09-21-2010, 10:33 AM
I think Nick V is looking to make the jump to -2 this offseason too. He's going the 305 TPI route.

Yup. Headed towards the 305 route with all the goodies. Gotta make a budget to get it all figured out.

Alien
09-21-2010, 11:45 AM
See how much for the A-team van in the background. That would be a cool tow vehicle.

Jeff

That van, towing an '82 black Firebird with black wheels, red accents. Bring back the 80's! Only thing more awesome would be for the driver to fly into the track in Airwolf.

mitchntx
09-21-2010, 11:57 AM

Jeff

That van, towing an '82 black Firebird with black wheels, red accents. Bring back the 80's! Only thing more awesome would be for the driver to fly into the track in Airwolf.

OK ... you can have David Hasselhoff and Jan-Micheal Vincent.

I'll take Catherine Bach and Heather Thomas.

roadracerwhite
09-21-2010, 12:43 PM

Jeff

NICE!

K Shaw
09-21-2010, 02:46 PM

This is a shot from left field, but I have a complete '92 Camaro I need to part with. It is the exact same config as what I used to build my car, I had bought it as a spare way back.

It is a '92 factory B4C car used by Texas DPS. 305 / 5 speed, hardtop, RS bodywork, with complete 1LE running gear (minus the aluminum driveshaft). But the 1LE package gives you a great starting point for the brakes and sway bars, bushings, better springs, supposed better fual tank... It has the lightest weight body work. The '91 and '92 cars are also supposed to be a bit stiffer as the factory used adhesives in addition to the spot welds...

Anyway, I've owned several of these cars, best of the 3rd gens in my opinion. It's not $1000 cheap though. I'd need to figure out what I want for it since there is a bit of a collector aspect to it. But if you might be interested, let me know.

Jeff

Think it over and let me know what you would want for it.

Adam Ginsberg
09-21-2010, 04:17 PM
Comparing prices on brakes and other parts between the two platforms before I make a decision.

FWIW, if you're looking at brake systems, let me know.

I've been working with StopTech for the past few months on a CMC2 kit. Their current ST40 kit is legal, for the most part, with the exception of the drilled/slotted rotors.

I had a great meeting with Ryan Kim of StopTech at the Nats, and we're looking to put out an announcement very soon.

K Shaw
09-21-2010, 04:22 PM
Cool.

Den34
09-21-2010, 11:15 PM
I did not need to do any clearancing of the block for the vortec 350 cylinder heads. However you must use a 350 head gasket. I used a .038 thick standard felrpo head gasket.
My carbed 305 makes 262 hp and 299 ftlbs. It has hooker shorty headers and the spec CMC1 flat tappet cam with 1.6 rockers.
I made the change on a tight budget and wanted to see if the CMC1 cam would make the power with the 1.6 rockers and it did. In my opinion the rule makers were generous and the CMC2 cam with the 1.6 rockers nets somewhere around .500 lift. more than is needed IMHO. The cmc1 cam with 1.6 rockers ends up somewhere around .472. Couple that with the vortec head it is very easy to make the numbers and very inexpensive, compared to going the LT1 route or trying to get a tpi to make the numbers.

mitchntx
09-22-2010, 03:48 AM
I know it was a monster coming off the turns at Hallett.

Sidney
09-22-2010, 08:23 AM
The Midwest 3rd Gen CMC2 cars are all on LS brakes, 16 inch wheels, 255/16 tires, & stock rear spoilers. I don't see any of that changing.

I dynoed a couple Fridays ago. 305, CMC2 cam, Hooker shortys, 1.5 rockers (I had these from my AI days), no X pipe, & steel driveshaft. I pulled 253 rwhp and 282 rwtq. I'll put the Aluminum driveshaft back in and probably add an X pipe over the winter. If my numbers aren't closer I'll look at swapping to 1.6 rockers.

Sidney Franklin
CMC2 #64

Alien
09-22-2010, 08:36 AM
Thanks Bob!

Interesting on the cam lift. I never realised there were two different cams for CMC1 vs CMC2.

I'd be concerned about the .500 lift w/ the 1.6s on a set of stock vortec heads. I know .480 is about the max you can run without modifying the spring seat.

*edit*
per the earlier thread highjack...
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/1945471059.html
*/edit*

AllZWay
09-22-2010, 09:41 AM
I'd be concerned about the .500 lift w/ the 1.6s on a set of stock vortec heads. I know .480 is about the max you can run without modifying the spring seat.

When I raced on dirt...one of my engines had a higher lift with 1.6 rr's running stock vortec heads. There was an issue with high rpms and generally the valve push rod openings had to be clearanced to avoid issues.

Al Fernandez
09-22-2010, 04:39 PM
Awesome stuff. The duece is going to be the place to be next year in Texas!! :D