PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some help with DVD ripping, etc

chris-CMC#35
11-08-2010, 05:40 PM
Figure there are some folks in this group who are reasonably proficient in this subject...

I have done some basic DVD ripping in the past, and have used AnyDVD to deal with the various security schemes on my DVDs. But the only thing I've done is rip an entire movie.

I want to rip just a specific scene in a movie, and then use it as part of a business presentation.

I don't mind buying software for this, as long as it's not very expensive. And to be honest, I'd rather spend a little bit of money, if it means I don't have to deal with Linux sourcecode, etc...

What do you pros suggest?

thx
chris

gt40
11-09-2010, 10:37 AM
You're going to need a video editing program to do this. Pinnacle Studio is a reasonably-priced editing suite that can do this (pretty much any video editor can, so you may try some free ones first.)

the trick is that the video has to be in a format that the editing suite can handle. If your editor can't handle the DVD's format (VOB files,) you can use something like handbrake to convert the DVD stuff into and AVI or MPEG file that the editor does know how to handle.

Beware: Ebvery time you change the video's format, the quality degrades a little bit as it gets uncompressed and re-compressed.

Your work flow is going to look something like this:

1) Rip the DVD using AnyDVD.
2) Convert the DVD to a video file using Handbrake (optional, but probably necessary.
3) Use a video editor to cut out the scene you need and save it to disk.

mitchntx
11-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Copyright infringement is illegal.

gt40
11-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Copyright infringement is illegal.Reproduction of a small portion of a copyrighted work for instructional purposes does potentially fall under Fair Use protection. A business presentation might be considered instructional.

mitchntx
11-09-2010, 12:41 PM
And recent ASCAP legislation has further restricted the ternm "fair use".

Using a copyrighted segment of a royalty based production, whether video or audio or both, for use as an instructional tool does benefit the student or institution the student belongs to.

Afterall, the reason a company sends some one to training is to benefit the company in productivity and not necessarily the student.

This generates revenue through better productivity or enhanced productivity.

Another angle ASCAP membership is taking is via endorsements. The arguement has been that by using the ambiguous "fair use" an artist can be linked to and thereby endorsing a product or group.

Carly Simon (a staunch anti-gun and animal rights activist) singing "No One Does it Better" for an NRA advertisement might not be such a great idea in Ms. Smion's eye.

This is very thin ice in a very gray area.

David Love AI27
11-09-2010, 01:51 PM
This is very thin ice in a very gray area.

HEY!! thats where I live....

chris-CMC#35
11-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Robert -

Thanks. I will give this a try, let you know how it goes.

-chris

mitchntx
11-09-2010, 07:33 PM
So you would pick the lock on my front door, enter and take a painting I had done and use it however you wanted.

How is that different than purposely defeating code to prevent this very evolution?

Slice it however it can allow you to sleep at night ...

chris-CMC#35
11-09-2010, 08:12 PM
So you would pick the lock on my front door, enter and take a painting I had done and use it however you wanted.

How is that different than purposely defeating code to prevent this very evolution?

Slice it however it can allow you to sleep at night ...

Okay Mitch,

You're talking to a guy who spent a lot of years in the software business, someone who truly understands the costs associated with developing this kind of intellectual property, someone who is committed to being certain that all computers in the company have authorized software, etc.

Okay?

I understand exactly what I am doing. If I could simply set up a DVD player and a separate TV, I would do it. But it won't work in this environment. So, I am taking a scene out of a movie - a movie which I bought this past weekend - and using that scene.

Okay?

Go lecture somebody else, okay?

-chris

mitchntx
11-09-2010, 08:34 PM
No, Chris, I don't think you do know.

You bought a movie to VIEW, not edit to suit your needs. Your "environment" is of no consequence.

You are using some else's property to pad your own checking account.

And when did you stoop to name calling like on a Jr. High playground?

www.ascap.com

Fbody383
11-09-2010, 08:47 PM
You bought a movie to VIEW, not edit to suit your needs. Your "environment" is of no consequence. And I've read before that what you bought is a personal viewing license. Some would argue that while you can have friends over to watch a movie, you can't watch/show it outside where it might be viewable by others.

Unless you're a non-profit then maybe... if you don't advertise the title.

Don't you just love digital media.

chris-CMC#35
11-10-2010, 06:47 AM
And when did you stoop to name calling like on a Jr. High playground?

Good point, that was wrong of me. It has been fixed.

We are each confident of our interpretation.

But this forum just won't be the same without any cat pics.

-chris

mitchntx
11-10-2010, 07:25 AM
ASCAP pays $5K a pop for narcing on copyright infringement.

Lienert tells me I'll need to supplement my income after I retire at 55.

2 and 2 equals ...

Al Fernandez
11-10-2010, 09:00 AM
PAH!

:lol:

David Love AI27
11-10-2010, 10:40 AM
Lienert tells me I'll need to supplement my income after I retire at 55....

"Retire"? I thought you already did that.... you mean after 55, you are going to to LESS that what you do now?????? How is that possible???

mitchntx
11-10-2010, 02:00 PM

"Retire"? I thought you already did that.... you mean after 55, you are going to to LESS that what you do now?????? How is that possible???

I see your point. I'd have to change my name to David Love.

PAH!

David Love AI27
11-11-2010, 11:26 AM

I see your point. I'd have to change my name to David Love.

PAH!

TRU DAT!!!