PDA

View Full Version : SN95 Radiators

Rob Liebbe
11-18-2010, 09:29 PM
For the 94-95 Mustang guys running a 5.0, what radiators are you running?

way2neary
11-18-2010, 10:55 PM
Fluidyne! Run away from the Mishimoto crap. Just ask Sam. He's gone through a few.

I've been real pleased with the Fluidyne too. On my stock car, I put in the Fluidyne along with a high flow water pump and 160 degree thermostat and can run WOT for long durations with no problem. With the stock radiator I was always overheating at TWS in 25 minute sessions. Now it doesn't even go over a 1/4 on my stock thermostat.

michaelmosty
11-19-2010, 08:34 AM
I have no clue if it works or if anyone has tried it but do you think the same one everyone uses in the fox would work?
I can dig up the part number if needed but it is a Griffin radiator from Summit that is $180-190.

Mrs. Crumpacker
11-19-2010, 08:40 AM
I have no clue if it works or if anyone has tried it but do you think the same one everyone uses in the fox would work?
I can dig up the part number if needed but it is a Griffin radiator from Summit that is $180-190.
Mounting points are different. Otherwise mine would have been stolen for the creamcicle. Lol

And def stay away from Mitimoto(sp?). The picture of Sam's car on the dyno with huge amounts of steam are because of that radiator failing in temps below 40. But they do great in summer temps...

ShadowBolt
11-19-2010, 09:21 AM
One thing good about the aluminum 4.6 is it has no problem running cool. The 55 just has a stock brass two row in it and it never runs hot.

JJ

nasa-rm
11-19-2010, 09:49 AM
Interesting on the Mishimoto. Our's has been solid since 2008 and though a variety of temperatures including down below 0F.

Mrs. Crumpacker
11-19-2010, 10:59 AM
Interesting on the Mishimoto. Our's has been solid since 2008 and though a variety of temperatures including down below 0F.

Well we thought it was a good one...ran in numerous DE's including the August TWS race with no problems. The first event in Dec was below 40 and the first one let go. We had them replace it and the one on the dyno was the replacement (never ran on the track.) After a few pulls it let go too...It might be that there was a bad batch of radiators...the one in my fox hasn't had any problems, but we haven't run it in cold temps. All the ones that let go were in Sam's car.

michaelmosty
11-19-2010, 11:06 AM

All the ones that let go were in Sam's car.

Must be operator error. :P

Rob Liebbe
11-19-2010, 08:32 PM
What's the good source and price for the fluidyne.

mitchntx
11-19-2010, 08:52 PM
What's the good source and price for the fluidyne.

I would contact David Donavon. He has been able to get everything I have ever asked for.

jdlingle
11-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Did you guys change your radiators during you initial build or did you wait for the stocker to wear out or fail? How high up my priority list should a new radiator be for my 96 mustang?

mitchntx
11-19-2010, 11:00 PM
How high up my priority list should a new radiator be for my 96 mustang?

How much does the radiator cost?

How much will be spent entering a race and transporting the car and rig to the track?

Do you want the first ruining the second?

Build it right the first time. Even if it delays your participation. Nothing will kill your fun-factor faster than gremlins. Eliminate as many as you can.

Rob Liebbe
11-20-2010, 07:39 AM
How high up my priority list should a new radiator be for my 96 mustang?

How much does the radiator cost?

How much will be spent entering a race and transporting the car and rig to the track?

Do you want the first ruining the second?

Build it right the first time. Even if it delays your participation. Nothing will kill your fun-factor faster than gremlins. Eliminate as many as you can.

Good advice from the wise old man.

jdlingle
11-20-2010, 10:13 AM
Good to know. I would have mistakenly assumed that if the old one was okay on track days that it would hold up. I will add it to my to do list.

edrock96GT
11-20-2010, 12:33 PM
Did you guys change your radiators during you initial build or did you wait for the stocker to wear out or fail? How high up my priority list should a new radiator be for my 96 mustang?

I race a '96 also. A fluidyne, clean water and good hood vents will make sure you have no overheating problems. I also gutted the factory thermostat housing, and with that combination I was able to run at TWS this summer with no issues at all.

Rob Liebbe
11-20-2010, 02:13 PM

I race a '96 also. A fluidyne, clean water and good hood vents will make sure you have no overheating problems. I also gutted the factory thermostat housing, and with that combination I was able to run at TWS this summer with no issues at all.

Good combo Ed. But be sure you are not putting hood vents in a CMC1/2 car.

jdlingle
11-20-2010, 03:15 PM
Nope, just have the stock GT hood. Any of you guys running coolant expansion tanks as well like the Moroso or Canton's or just running the stock plastic tank? (Haven't even checked the legality of those yet but like I said I just added this particular item to the list yesterday :) )

GlennCMC70
11-20-2010, 04:49 PM
For my new car I'm going back to the OEM rad. I hope it works out. I'm doing it for weight reasons.

Rob Liebbe
11-21-2010, 08:31 AM
I've run a stock-type overflow tank - if you still have yours, keep it, cheap and relatively light.

mitchntx
11-21-2010, 10:04 AM
For my new car I'm going back to the OEM rad. I hope it works out. I'm doing it for weight reasons.

You are building an SN95?

donovan
11-22-2010, 05:02 AM
Rob,

Here is what I can get:

Fluidyne Radiators FHP20-95MU $347.96
Griffin Aluminum GRI-7-294BC-FXX $420.44

Plus Shipping(~$15 I can double check that if you want) / Tax(7.25%)

If you want to go stock, I can get a brand called Metrix for $98, but we would have to do a face to face hand off. I can dropship the Fluidyne and the Griffin no problem, but the stock unit I can only get local. I could ship it, but my UPS account is not as good as my dropship folks. I would guess $25-30 just for the size of the box.

If you want to go stock, look at RockAuto.com, they might have some cheaper prices on stock.

I have run a Fluiddyne in my AI car for about 6 years, no issues. I will be doing the same for my SN-95 AI car as well.

David D.

BryanL
11-22-2010, 12:09 PM

Mitch nails if from the 3 point line-you crack me up because you never fail to miss a chance at a witty response to Glenn's posts.

mitchntx
11-22-2010, 12:12 PM

Mitch nails if from the 3 point line-you crack me up because you never fail to miss a chance at a witty response to Glenn's posts.

No 3-pointer from downtown ... that was an easy lay-up.

And I learned about missing opportunities from him, so ...