PDA

View Full Version : Camera comparison

BlueFirePony
11-19-2010, 12:53 AM
I know some of you are looking into new cameras for next year...I will probably do so as well, my Sony is still a good camera but I want the HD :)
Was pretty much going to go with the GoPro but David Garland (some of you mud slingers might know him) has been testing various cameras and has some good comparison video of the GoPro and the MyPOV360 on his facebook page.

Check it out if you are interested in options.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/video/video.php?v=1223553845012&notif_t=video_tag

mitchntx
11-19-2010, 04:30 AM
I'm curious ....

Sam, what camera are you using?
I was very impressed with the clarity and color depth of your rig.

Fbody383
11-19-2010, 10:19 AM
Sam, what camera are you using? Funny we don't already have all this in one place. Maybe we need a camera sticky with samples.

I run this (http://www.aiptek.com/Camcorders/HD/AHD/Features/) Aiptek.

Al Fernandez
11-19-2010, 10:40 AM
I have the same Aiptek that David F has. I know Wirtz has a an Aiptek also. They're not the most durable feeling devices and certainly not ok for outside shots, but they're cheap. You do need a camera mount for them. They also dont record in a useful format, but I use anyvideoconverter or something like that that I downloaded free to convert to a useful format.

NickV
11-19-2010, 11:06 AM
I have a similar Aiptek that I used at MSR-Houston this year. The video was great until the 3rd race when for some reason it decided it wanted to scramble the video, so I got nothing useful out of it, just sound. Turned it back on when I got home and it seemed to record fine. Wierd. :?

Like Al, I had to find a video converter to get it out of .mov (quicktime) format. When it works, the video quality is good.

#84Sprint
11-19-2010, 09:15 PM
I have used the Flip Mino HD good camera for starting out. I went to a GoPro Hero, Also used the GoPro HD wide angle works good in day light, sounds is not so good on a sprint car with a Magneto in the Dark it does not work very well..the Drift HD170 1080P in the Dark works very good the sound is awesome it makes Eye Popping Video I have both the GoPro & Drift video cameras running off the back of the Sprint Car catching the same video footage in the Dark with low light....

The Drift has a RF remote control that makes recording on & off easy to use. It has a SD card slot

Look at video footage from my sprint car it is filmed in 720p..
Let me know what you think,
I am trying to work on a deal with the Drift HD170 company more info to come soon

Here is my YouTube link on GoPro Vs Drift Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFlpeGt6ZY8

mitchntx
11-19-2010, 10:58 PM
That Drift HD rig looks pretty damn nice ...

BlueFirePony
11-20-2010, 12:33 AM
Hey Dave, you have that Drift camera wired up to your dash or do you use the remote? I thought I read that in the comments but now I can't see comments (maybe I was logged in to youtube before?).
A remote is a must have for me but I want to wire the camera in too.
The Drift looks like it avoids saturation really well - you can see how it minimizes starburst in sun and dark. I saw another video on youtube where the Contour, Drift and GoPro were compared.
Definately let us know if you can pull together a deal!

#84Sprint
11-20-2010, 09:35 AM
The Drift HD170 runs on a lithium battery so no wires needed, It has a RF Remote control you mount any were in the car or on your arm with a wrist band that comes in the Drift HD170 Motor Sports Camera Package Deal with a Pedco Ultra Clamp, Drift Long Life Battery 4 hours of record time, Drift Suction Cup Mount, Spare Helmet Mount

That’s in addition to all the great accessories included with the Drift HD170 in the box:

* HD170 Action Camera
* Remote Control
* Handlebar Grip
* Goggle Mount
* Head Strap
* Helmet Grip
* Universal CLip
* Velcro Strap
* Industrial strength velcro adhesive pad
* AV Cable for play back on TV
* USB Cable for downloading to a computer
* Quick Guide to get started

This wide angle camera has to be the best on the market that I have used, Any Camera that can hold up to a Sprint Car @ Night with all the G-Force and Vibration with a solid mount motor with Magneto Rock's.
So you can just imagine the eye popping day time video this Drift HD170 can make

mitchntx
11-20-2010, 01:11 PM
OK ... so knowing that both the Contour HD and Drift camera systems use a H264/MOV file format, I found that Premeire Elements supports that Codec and format.

So, I DLed the trial version of PE9 as a test.

I found a raw version of the Contour HD, but not the Drift. PE9 couldn't read it.

But ... It DID see my Go Pro video ... LOL!

#84Sprint
11-20-2010, 03:49 PM
Yes the format of Drift is on a Quick-time .mov

Window 7 video editor

and

Video Pad Video Editor

is what I use to make and convert my video
most all my movies are in MP4 or AVI

The Drift has a small LSD screen to watch your video at the track and has a fast foreword on it so you can preview or you can down load it, I use a laptop at the track, plus it charges threw the USB

There is a lot of free converter tools or video editor's out there

I went to Fry's and looked in the clearance software section

Sounds like your doing your Home work

#84Sprint
12-24-2010, 10:40 AM
My sponsor mypov360.com has sent me a promo code to pass on
If any one would like a Drift HD170 POV auction camera here is a promo code to use in till Jan 31-2011 I will be at the Chili Bowl indoor sprint race using the Drift HD170 It is very light wight eye popping HD 1080P & 720P video, It has a RF Remote to turn on and off
"Capture the world from your Point Of View"

aceracergofast@yahoo.com
MYPOV360.COM
330-776-8360

www.mypov360.com
Promo code: acergofast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPl5sBS8SGw

mitchntx
12-24-2010, 11:34 AM
That's a nice discount

What editing software did you use and what hardware do you have to put together the bike sequence you linked to on Youtube?

#84Sprint
12-24-2010, 03:32 PM
That's a nice discount

What editing software did you use and what hardware do you have to put together the bike sequence you linked to on Youtube?

I have 3 different editor software, My cheep one that is easy to use is Video Pad Video Editor that was used for the bike video on youtube, Adobe Premiere and Roxio 2011 are awesome but hard to use..still learning how to edit with them
as for mounts they come with the Drift HD170 package there are two different Drift packages, Motor Sports Camera Package has good mounts, I also use I O Port camera Mounts

mitchntx
12-24-2010, 05:02 PM
Adobe Premiere and Roxio 2011 are awesome but hard to use..still learning how to edit with them

I come from Media100 and Avid ... Premeire is a piece of cake, LOL

AllZWay
12-24-2010, 08:16 PM
My mother-in-law bought me a cheap digital HD, but after looking at the reviews of it, I see no need to even open the package, so I need to find a good cheap one to use instead.

I love that drift HD, but it is still out of my price range.

You guys that have used the Aiptek... What specific model do you have?
Seems some of those are very cheap and have produced some decent video.

#84Sprint
12-24-2010, 08:26 PM
Adobe Premiere and Roxio 2011 are awesome but hard to use..still learning how to edit with them

I come from Media100 and Avid ... Premeire is a piece of cake, LOL

Sweet you might have to show me some tricks :)
I just need to use them more but with all the fab work on the mustang there been know time plus sprint car tare down and off to powder coat and motor and on and on and on LoL

Fbody383
12-25-2010, 10:07 AM

Sam, what camera do you have?

Darcie, what camera does Sam have?

cobra132
12-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Santa brought me a drift. Looks cool. Have not tried it yet.

Mrs. Crumpacker
12-26-2010, 05:33 PM

Sam, what camera do you have?

Darcie, what camera does Sam have?
Lol. I have told sam about this a couple times...

His camera that ran last season was a Sony mini dv (dcr-hc26) with wide angle lens attachment. My parents bought him a Sony hdr-cx150 for Christmas. We will see how the new camera does next season.

#84Sprint
12-26-2010, 07:35 PM
Santa brought me a drift. Looks cool. Have not tried it yet.

Sweet, hope you got to use the promo code....can't what to see some in car video........

Al Fernandez
12-27-2010, 10:16 AM
I have no idea what model aiptek I have...it was their cheapest model that was HD capable when I bought it. :lol:

Wade
01-18-2011, 07:04 PM
Just ordered the Drift HD using the coupon from mypov360.com. I hope it gets here in time for MSR. We'll see how it does then.

#84Sprint
01-21-2011, 07:00 PM
Sweet thank you ,
I will have 5 or 6 Drifts HD170 at MSR-H ,,I have so much video from the 25th Chili Bowl to go threw that I am going cross eyed...Go to Dirt Dog Tv or Aceracergofast @ Youtube to see some awesome midget racing with in car flips and some wall climbing fun...Were also on Facebook under David Garland & Dirt Dog Tv

Thanks all
Cant wait for next weekend

#84Sprint
01-22-2011, 07:28 AM
Hello, I need Your Love... Please go to MyPov360 on FaceBook and click like there will be another give away a top secret camera is going to be given away...all you got to do Is Click like its that easy .....

Thank You

Ben2004
12-12-2011, 02:35 AM
Have you had a chance to compare the Drift HD to the Drift HD170 Stealth?
What about the best recommended mount to reduce vibration?

Casey_SS
12-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Can't answer the comparison question but I have the HD170 Stealth and mounted it to the roll bar diagonal with one of these - http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CM4&Category_Code=IOPP. No vibration, works great. See video samples here - http://vimeo.com/31110307.

Everything where you can see the inside of the car is from the setup described above. The older stuff where you only see the dashboard was shot with a standard GoPro on a windshield suction cup mount. The HD Drift was a night and day improvement. Alternatively, most newer smart phones will provide audio and video quality on par with the Drift plus the added benefit of cheap apps for data logging, lap times, etc. If you already have the phone, your only cost is a mounting solution.