PDA

View Full Version : New Race Car - Part Deaux

Rob Liebbe
11-21-2010, 08:02 PM
Let's try this again - the second new race car body. This is getting expensive.

Casey_SS
11-22-2010, 12:04 AM
What happened to the last replacement tub?

Rob Liebbe
11-22-2010, 09:49 AM
The previous car - white with the red and blue Cobra Jet sticker package - has a bent frame/tub. While doing the initial teardown and removing the sound deadener I started noticing wrinkles and deformation in the transmission tunnel, rear floorboards, front floorboards, seat back area, and left rear frame rail in the trunk. I knew the car had been hit in the left rear quarter and repaired but all the damage associated with that seemed superficial with all the underlying quaterpanel and crosscar beam at the rear seat ledge being still original and in perfect shape. So I couldn't understand how the floor could be bent the way it was. My cage builder suggested that I have the frame measured before he installed a cage. Lakewood Car Clinic measured it and found that the front end was 1 inch out of spec from a front end collision. It could be pulled back straight, but I worried about all the floor pan deformation and possible structural weakness. So for not much more money than the repair estimate, I purchased a square and very stripped down 94 Cobra roller. The Cobra has the chassis, all the body panels and nothing else. No wiring, no fasteners, no headlights, nothing. The white car is complete except for interior components, but has an engine, trans, wiring, dash, etc. So now I have the components from my wrecked 89 Fox, a running but bent 94 GT, a shell of a 94 Cobra and a lot of work ahead of me.

Good thing I enjoy this so much. :)

mitchntx
11-22-2010, 10:47 AM
Lime, Grape or Fruit Punch?

Rob Liebbe
11-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Mitch, if I didn't enjoy seeing your smiling face at the track every so often - I would just pack up my tent and go home.

You're becoming quite the sourpuss in your old age. 8)

mitchntx
11-22-2010, 12:13 PM
Understand

Al Fernandez
11-22-2010, 05:51 PM
This is the first "body in red" build I've seen.

Rsmith350
11-25-2010, 11:04 AM
Tell me that you're going back with the Texas flag paint scheme!!

ShadowBolt
11-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Tell me that you're going back with the Texas flag paint scheme!!

You almost done Ross?

JJ