PDA

View Full Version : cage cost

jpieper06
12-23-2010, 09:00 PM
hey every one i think my first time to post any thing on here (long time lurker)

but i have a question about getting a cage for my s197 and figure this is the best place to ask this question. because yall have an idea of the cost around texas and not on a national scale like many other forums

i have done a bunch of DE's in my s197 and it is now my track car and i have been trying to drop all the weight i can and getting more serious about every thing. this has led me to start thinking more about safety im not very old and i would like to be around long enough to enjoy life. so i have been toying with the idea of a cage for my car. not some bolt on POS but some thing up to specs where eventually i could get in to AI and it would be legal. i know there are a few good cage builders around the Houston/SA area (im located in corpus christi). but what i dont know is what a price it would be to have one built is. i know there are alot of things that determine this but if im wanting to run in AI i figure that is a starting places because its not going to be some 4 point thing just barely welded in.

im not to worried about any thing besides it being safe(er) than it is now if i were to crash i have fixed back racing seats and a harness bar in it rite now but this to me is not optimal because dont feel it is as protective if i ever rolled or hit a wall (god forbid)

i hope none of you take my ignorance on this subject the wrong way i know it is some times a pain to read on a forum and wonder why this idiot even has a drivers license. but i just dont know much of any thing on this subject and this seems to be a limited market and i have had difficulty on figuring out what works and what doesn't.

one other question yall may know is it to late to sign up for msr-h i have never driven with nasa and wanted to start this year now that i have a tow vehicle it is easier for me to drive longer distances

thanks for any answers

mitchntx
12-23-2010, 09:53 PM
If you go to the CCR and look at the minimum 6 point cage as outlined there, I charge between 1700 - 2000 depending upon the price of tube at the time.

This is also based upon you delivering car with minimal prep work required.

NASCAR style door bars are now a base $300. This is 2 door bars extending into the door skin and 3 vertical braces

Any additional bar above and beyond the minimum CCR 6 pt. is a flat $80/bar. An example would be an "X" in the back would be 3 bars.

If you know Rayman Kinman, LAW Motorsports did the cage in his old Trans AM.

HTH

BlueFirePony
12-24-2010, 12:06 AM
Welcome! No worries on asking - especially around safety issues...too many haven't and we've all seen the results. :shock:
I know that I'd trust the LAW guys with building my cage.
PST in Cresson actually did my cage and I told AJ and Joe I trusted them with my life - I've come as close as I intend to testing their work.

Mitch's prices are current and direct from him so that's a better data point than anything I had done 3 years ago or might spout off - - I suspect you'll get some other posts (hopefully from your area) on the $ so I won't bother - the S197 does have some peculiar issues wrt to cage build (height of door, B-pillar, etc) but so many have been built now that it should be a pretty easy job for a cage builder to estimate accurately.

Definately get a quality cage..anyone remember that S197 that pancaked with the foobar cage? Scary.

Unless something has changed you are definately in time to sign up for MSR-H...look forward to seeing you out there...another S197 in AI would be awesome!!

marshall_mosty
12-24-2010, 12:25 AM
Can't vouch on the quality, but they run Grand-AM and Koni Challenge.

http://rehagenracingproducts.com/product.sc?productId=1697&categoryId=20

Then you just have to find someone local you trust to weld it up.

However, if you want something different than the Rehagen cage, definately give the LAW boys a call. I've seen almost half a dozen cages they have done and they never fail to amaze on the quality and sound judgement that goes into their stuff.

mitchntx
12-24-2010, 01:02 AM
Thanks fellas ... I appreciate that.

We've built a few and think we make improvements each time.

I hope they never get used.

jpieper06
12-24-2010, 01:43 AM
If you go to the CCR and look at the minimum 6 point cage as outlined there, I charge between 1700 - 2000 depending upon the price of tube at the time.

This is also based upon you delivering car with minimal prep work required.

NASCAR style door bars are now a base $300. This is 2 door bars extending into the door skin and 3 vertical braces

Any additional bar above and beyond the minimum CCR 6 pt. is a flat $80/bar. An example would be an "X" in the back would be 3 bars.

If you know Rayman Kinman, LAW Motorsports did the cage in his old Trans AM.

HTH

what is the prep work involved and what is your general time line on a cage

also im not sure what a nascar style door bar is a picture mite help if you know of any

also where are you located at i was looking at a web site that i think was yours and i did not see a location on there

mitchntx
12-24-2010, 02:06 AM

Door bars:
http://lawmotorsports.net/Pics/94%20Teal%20Formula/web/94TealForm2.jpg

We've pretty much focused on F-Cars as that is what we know best. And we can turn a simple F-Car cage around in a few days once we get the tube in hand and the car prepped. (We have regular jobs, so this is something we do on the side).

We are looking to for our first Mustang.

Prep work are things like:

No fuel tank or fuel lines. The floor plates are welded right where the tank and lines run in an F-Body. A Mustng might be different.

We like tucking the eyebrow bar WAY up and out of the way. To weld it properly and prevent damage from weld splater, the windshield should be removed. We've done it without windshield removal, but the windshield has been damaged somewhat.

Interior gutted and dash removed.

All wires removed. Again, weld spatter can cause issues with melted insulation.

You get the idea

michaelmosty
12-24-2010, 09:36 AM
If you can, definitely make it to the Houston event. It will be extremely beneficial to meet everyone, check out all the cars, and get pictures and ideas for your build.
Brian Calder is the only S197 we have at this time but his car is built extremely well and would be a good model.
Welcome aboard!!

nasa-rm
12-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Can't vouch on the quality, but they run Grand-AM and Koni Challenge.

I think they do something with NASA as well... P1 and P2 somewhere :wink: .

nasa-rm
12-24-2010, 11:02 AM
Oh, too far for you but here's some pictures to help with ideas on a cage.

http://www.hanksvillehotrods.com/Projects/RollBarCageProjects/CamaroMustangChallengeandAmericanIron/tabid/646/Default.aspx

Second car down, it's got some clear pictures of doorbars in S197.

jpieper06
12-26-2010, 11:10 AM
thanks guys for all the reply's i think i will be signing up fo msr-h Houston tomorrow

hopeful i will have my tyranny issue fixed by then i hate "paying to play" lol

kbrewmr2
12-27-2010, 09:34 AM
Greg Lucas in Houston would also be worth shopping imho.

Al Fernandez
12-27-2010, 10:14 AM
Welcome to the board!! The Rehagen cages fit well, but you still need to find a welder. Personally I'd bring my car to Mitch since this way you can get everything exactly where you want it.