PDA

View Full Version : Race Writeup

Garbage
07-06-2006, 04:59 PM
When can we expect a race writeup?

Anyone else get the latest GRM? Not much about NASA. Nice picture of Todd.

What happened to all the magazine coverage? Last year we had writeups but there was not much to write about. Now the field is bigger and no writeups. What gives with that? Bigger field. More to write about equals more coverage.

Very confused!? :roll:

David

chicane23
07-06-2006, 06:47 PM
You are too funny!!!!!

You are expecting way, way to much!!!!!!

mitchntx
07-06-2006, 07:12 PM
Damn John ... why so much hate?

For someone who is scaling back for family reasons, you certainly seem to be carrying a grudge of some sort.

Or si there something obvious I'm not seeing?

donovan
07-06-2006, 08:08 PM
Its not just JG, its me too...

We have had nothing this year... absolutly nothing... NASA Texas had two events in before anyone else and nothing...

We had a Rookie in the points lead and nothing...

We had 4 cars finish less than 2 seconds from each other in a race...

We had have a very close points battle and... nothing...

I understand everyone is busy, damn... No magazine coverage this year is a step backwards in my opinion.

The race reports have been good, and more timely than last year, I guess that is good...

David D.

AI#97
07-06-2006, 09:01 PM
Maybe this will enlighten some of you......straight for the "horse's" mouth...

Matt, we've made some changes to the way Speednews is compiled, and it's our intention to jump the focus around a bit, so while we won't cover each region in each issue, we'll certainly try to get everyone included in the longer run. That said, I'm not sure which Challenge group you're referring to; Honda, FFR, CMC, Vette-Viper? Keep us in the loop on future event coverage and we'll get you in at the earliest possible opportunity. If you haven't seen it yet, I'm going to copy a letter coverage the new format, forgive the long read but it should get you in the loop. Thanks again, don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

Here are some guidelines to pass along to the potential contributors, thanks as always.

First off, here are the deadlines for the next few issues:
August 2006 GRM: May 10 deadline
October 2006 GRM: June 28 deadline
November 2006 GRM: August 15 deadline
December 2006 GRM: Sept. 13 deadline

Each issue of Speednews will include a couple of race weekend recaps, and these articles will summarize an entire weekend's activities, from standout cars in the HPDEs to the number of rookies graduated to the racing ranks. Also, it is our intention to include some racing highlights regardless of series in this coverage, and include a results box to recognize those who emerged victorious in their respective classes. These submissions are being organized through the regional directors.

This race weekend coverage format frees up the Class News section to hit on not only race highlights from a particular class, but also to cover rules changes, new car debuts and the like for each of the various classes. Because NASA has so many great classes--all of whom deserve coverage--and because space is at a premium in the magazine, the new format aims to hit on the highlights from each class and bring pertinent and interesting information to Speednews readers.

Class News Guidelines:

-Length: Because there are many classes and space is tight, submissions should be short; 125 words equals about two paragraphs, and should be considered the maximum word count. If you can say it in less, please do so; this leaves more space for photos.

-Not Just Coverage: Think of the section as Class News and not just race coverage. Rules changes, car weight adjustments or restrictor plates, big new sponsors and contingency programs, the classification of a new car for the class--things of this nature should be considered paramount when you're coming up with ideas for your Class News. Not only do they apply to everyone who participates in the series, but they might appeal to other racers who don't yet participate in your series, or even non-NASA members who are GRM subscribers looking for a place to run their soon-to-be racecar.

-Race Highlights: A guideline we often use at the office is, "If I wasn't there, why do I care?" If you've opted to mention race coverage, make sure it's something that stands out from the crowd. Passing happens all the time in racing, and so do close battles; only mention them if they're really spectacular. If 15 cars held the lead during a 20-lap sprint race, that's unusual. If somebody's V8 blew the left bank on the last corner but they still took the win, that's not something you see everyday. If a veteran debuted a brand-new car and it was dominant, that's cool. If a rookie started at the back but worked his way up to second, that's more interesting than the winner walking away to victory. Only mention the weather if it was a factor, but remember space is tight.

-Key Information: Whenever you mention a driver for the first time, use their first and last name and mention the year, make and model of the car they were racing. If it's a spec series, knowing the year is still handy.

-Photos: All event coverage should come with high-resolution (1600x1200 or larger) photos. With photos, bigger is always better. These can be emailed directly to me as attachments at the address below. Also, having three photos to choose from is better than just one.

The June 06 issue of GRM contains the first Speednews that uses this new format, it should give you an idea of what we're looking for. In this case, most of the stories were distilled from longer race reports, but we're hoping to see more Class news in the future. Please don't hesitate to contact me at scott@grassrootsmotorsports.com if you have any questions.

Thanks very much,

Scott

Scott R. Lear
Club Editor
Grassroots Motorsports / Classic Motorsports
scott@grassrootsmotorsports.com
386-673-4148
fax 386-673-6040

AI#97
07-06-2006, 09:04 PM
I sent him a copy of Todd/Adam's challenge 1 and challenge 2 race reports telling him that I felt our writeups included a TON of specific points he was looking for, however they were a little long.....sounds like GRM has sold out and is more focused on the Sahlen's porshe team rather than those of us that are the anchor of their "grassroots" market..... :roll:

mitchntx
07-06-2006, 09:05 PM
I guess I'm doing all this for the wrong reasons ...

mitchntx
07-06-2006, 09:07 PM
A feature article is 2500 words

A news article is less than 750.

AI#97
07-06-2006, 09:11 PM
A feature article is 2500 words

A news article is less than 750.

I think they are looking more for a snippit!!! ;)

marshall_mosty
07-06-2006, 09:16 PM
It seemed like the first of the year started off to a flying start with Andy Bowman helping "get the word out" and get our writeups on several different web sites.

Then the second event... and a little less.

The third event... I hear crickets

The fouth event... is TX really still racing, we couldn't tell...

The fifth event... there is a NASA chapter in TX, wow, coulda fooled us!

There almost needs to be a mission statement, "business plan", or something we can come up with to advertise not just AI/AIX/CMC, but also NASA TX.

Ideas are great, but until they are put in motion and become actions, they are still ideas.

The followings are my personal feelings and are not meant to place blame, hurt feelings, be malicious, etc...

**Soapbox on**
Our car count is up over 500% from 2003, but it seems like the hype is in the dumpster. People are still building cars and coming to race, but it seems like we are the red-headed step children (sorry if anyone is actually a red-headed step child. :D ).

NASA fees are rising to crazy levels right before what is supposed to be their "biggest event" of the season. One would think they would be dropping prices since they don't need as much "extra" per entry to cover track cost, insurance, corner workers, etc.

The entry is $245 for HPDE with an approx turnout of 35 cars = $8575
The entry is $275 to TT with an approx turnout of 10 cars = $2750
The entry for racing is $305 with a turnout of (25 AI/AIX/CMC, 10 GPC, 20 Miata, 10 Lotus, 10 Formula Vee, 10 etc.) = total $25925

NASA TX is pulling in $37250... Based on previous posts, I don't think track rental + insurance = cost racers pay.

The SW NASA region did a "deal" for a 4 weekend coupon book for $799. Less than $200 per weekend isn't a bad deal. Kept the income stream steady (and predictable), and gave the racers a hell of a deal to boot.

**Off soapbox**

chicane23
07-06-2006, 09:50 PM
Damn John ... why so much hate?

For someone who is scaling back for family reasons, you certainly seem to be carrying a grudge of some sort.

Or si there something obvious I'm not seeing?

Mitch, you are so naive.

Look at what the other racers are saying.
Nothing has changed from last year!

I will be nice and stop here, have fun!

mitchntx
07-06-2006, 09:56 PM
I don't think I'm naive.

I see others bitching and complaining about escalating costs and poor marketing. I'm on that bandwagon as well.

Of late, though, your tone has turned more dark and spitefull.

You always had a good word to say at the track, always had a smile and always helped when asked.

I'm not trying to start a broo-ha-ha ... just I just noted a difference, that's all.

Surely it can't just be because you didn't get any print and don't like the high cost of racing?

Also, remember, I drive a GM AND live in Granbury. I'm not exactly on the "inside".

If there is something going on, PM or e-mail me and fill me in ...

GlennCMC70
07-06-2006, 10:05 PM
man, here we go again. @ this point we all know you have a problem w/ something/someone. the only mistery is w/ who/what. if your not gonna post what your problem is, dont keep eluding to having one. if your done racing w/ the series, then why post here? are you afraid that if you post your true thoughts, you will find not all agree w/ you? are you doing this to draw attention to yourself?
just air it all out, or drop it. tell us what you think, or just stop. pick one.
i think your a nice enough guy John, and i find myself disliking this side of you. i think your building more hate amoung the series w/ all these "mystery" posts.

donovan
07-06-2006, 10:12 PM
nevermind...

chicane23
07-06-2006, 10:26 PM
I have a lot to say, but I have been warned or threatened not to say anything too negative.

I have only agreed to other posts that is all.

If I was so worried and only wanted write-ups for myself then I would have been done with this series after the first year.

It's things that have been promised over and over that never materialize that really frustrate me.

And BTW, I can post my opinions and anything I damn well want to post whether I'm racing or not.

GlennCMC70
07-06-2006, 11:19 PM
you right, you have that right. but if your not involved any longer, what do you care, and why post here? if we all desided to do 40 minute races in 100 degree heat in reverse why would it matter if your not racing.
if your here and posting and reading, you have an intrest in the series. if you dont, why come here and sour the grapes for those of us who are o.k. w/ things the way they have been. if you have things to say, say them. if not, stop going around and doing the "na na nana na, i've got a secret, and i'm not telling" crap.
i'm intrested as the next guy about whats going on and why your unhappy, and why Adam is a point of intrest, and who going to be leading AI/CMC in the future, or even NASA TX for that matter. say whats on your mind, please.

i've got issues w/ NASA TX too. like, why was i asked to step down as TT co-diector cause "my heart wasnt in it" only to see them appoint someone else who doesnt give a crap about it, and hasnt performed any of the duties of that director position since being appointed in January. and they seem to not care.
but i'm not on the TT sites causing problems. if i was, i would be exspected to say whats on my mind.

like i said John, i have alot of respect for you, and you always conducted yourself in a profesional manner as far as i've always seen. but this is unlike what i have seen of you in the limited past.
not sure why you say threatened. if i was threatened by NASA TX, i would certainly not be quiet about those threats.

mitchntx
07-07-2006, 06:41 AM
I have a lot to say, but I have been warned or threatened not to say anything too negative.

I have only agreed to other posts that is all.

If I was so worried and only wanted write-ups for myself then I would have been done with this series after the first year.

It's things that have been promised over and over that never materialize that really frustrate me.

And BTW, I can post my opinions and anything I damn well want to post whether I'm racing or not.

Wow ... warned and threatened? I'm not sure what the consequences of saying your peace would be other than maybe banning you from posting here (not the end of the world) or not allow you to race in NASA (you've already stated you have family you need to focus on).

So, I'm not sure what the consequences would be? Are Clifton, Ryan, Ali and Kevin gonna show up at your door and break your legs Sopranos style? :wink:

Again, other than promised deadlines, I'm not sure of what things that have been promised this group that hasn't been delivered at some point.

Again, I'm in the GM camp, so I'm out of"the loop".

FWIW ... I sense your frustration and respect it. Call, PM or e-mail me if you like.

AI#97
07-07-2006, 11:00 AM
NASA TX is pulling in $37250... Based on previous posts, I don't think track rental + insurance = cost racers pay.

Well, it is a business for Jay and Shannon and they do need to eat....however, as their customers, if we are paying a "premium" then we should be getting premium service. My suggestion to NASATX is find someone that is either a retired racer, or someone that works only part time or less to step up and run the series. This region has gotten big enough that it can't be run as a side job or hobby....it's a full time job and needs to be treated like one.

chicane23
07-07-2006, 02:19 PM
Hating to admit it, but I do have a natural interest in this series because I have been involved with it for over two years now.

I have also raced this season, so I am not completely out of the series at this point yet.
I get very frustrated with how things are done or not done, but I did not start this one. I simply, half-jokingly commented on it.

You can take it as an ugly comment if that?s how you read it, but I am not the only one in the group that complains about the same problems over and over again. It?s not JUST me. And I'm not trying to divide the group. I have made some decisions on whether to continue with this series or not based on past promises made to me and other issues. It will never be perfect for everyone but you will have to decide for yourself if you want to continue. Just my opinions or comments should not influence you or other members of the group.

I appreciate the nice guy comments but I think some of the things that have happened with me and this series have probably made me a bit ?sour?. I still have good friendships with the guys in this group though and would do just about anything for them. I don?t think my posts or comments really have that much power though. I?ve been trying to change things for the good and majority of this group for a very long time and haven?t gotten very far, why would a few posts of mine make things bad for you? I don?t see you complaining about the other guy?s posts on this subject matter, just mine.

I apologize if my posts show my frustration, but I think you will see that a lot in this forum as time goes on. I see your frustration in regards to the TT Co-Director issue also, but I don?t fault you for speaking your mind about it, nor does it "sour the grapes" for me if I decide to make another race.

mitchntx
07-07-2006, 04:35 PM
Just my opinions or comments should not influence you or other members of the group.

Like it not ... by design or by default ... they do.

And you are right ... your opinion and expressing thereof shouldn't carry more weight. Your complaining about issues that affect us all shouldn't influence other's opinions.

My concern and observation was the significant change in your attitude and demeanor. That's all ... not necessarily content itself, just the change.

Good luck in whatever decision you make.

Garbage
07-09-2006, 08:09 AM
Am I reading reply's correct. Why is this "group" so eager to show someone the door if they don't agree? Are we a bunch of clones? No. I have read several reply's from folks who either don't like someone or their opinion (by the way: agreeing with someone and their opinion seem to go hand-in-hand in this group) and they are ready to show them to the exit.

This group is made up of different personalities and those personalities require different needs or wants. If we start showing people the door because they disagree with the series, the series will quickly go back to a small car count on race weekend.

We can agree to disagree, and still have fun racing eachother. There is nothing finer than beating someone on the track you don't like. Rubbing their face in disgrace. I of course am above that and have never resorted to taking pleasure in lapping other racer's who have belittled my driving. :twisted: FYI: Hallett was fun!

Let's remember we do share something in common with each other, and that is racing.

Let's Race and keep it fun.
DA

GlennCMC70
07-09-2006, 09:12 AM
i agree w/ you David on all points.
but.......
John has made it very clear that he is not racing w/ us anymore. either by the comments he's made in the Toyo Bucks thread or in this thread (or so i've taken his comments that way). if he's not racing w/ us, why be here and cause problems. by the way, i dont see having an issue and voicing it as causing problems. i see negative comments towards other peoples optimism and a continual negative attitude towards persons who run the series and the group we race w/ as causing problems. i too have issues that i'm not happy about w/ Todd and Shannon. what you dont see from me is a negative comment following a response concerning those people.
all i'm saying is, if you dont like things, do what you can to make changes. if you dont want to race w/ NASA / CMC / AI anymore due to those issues, then dont. if you feel you cant make a change, or are tired of trying, then fine, you did what you could. is it a loss for the series for you to leave, yes. but it is more of a loss to have you pop in here and sour the mood for those that stay or are planning to come to this series and feel this is the best avenue to them to race.
i disided to race w/ NASA and CMC due to many reasons. i had issues w/ some parts of the series and the org, but they fell on the short list.
cost to race and the frequency of races was a big factor.
maybee its time you sit down John, and make that list again and re-evaluate if you want to be here, and why you want to be here, but it sounds like to me, you've done that already. the problem is w/ you not posting WHY your leaving. this would help those comming or staying deside on what colum to add you issue too, PRO or CON. if you are not willing to or cant post why, stop eluding to the existance of a problem.

since John hasnt posted here is a couple days....... i assume all this is a moot point.

by the way, i'll stop posting in this thread as i feel i've made my point (more than once) and have nothing more to add.
good luck w/ whatever you deside to persue w/ regards to racing.

jeffburch
07-09-2006, 09:43 AM
I still find it amazing that people here (veterans) do not understand the hierarchy of authority and responsibility.

NASA vs. CMC/AI.
Regional vs. National
And on the local level, NASA Tx vs. Todd/Adam.

jb

AI#97
07-09-2006, 01:01 PM
I still find it amazing that people here (veterans) do not understand the hierarchy of authority and responsibility.

NASA vs. CMC/AI.
Regional vs. National

jb

LOL! Hierarchy? WTF is that?! :wink:

Caos...now that I understand! :lol:

Mike Bell
07-09-2006, 01:26 PM

NASA vs. CMC/AI.
Regional vs. National

jb

LOL! Hierarchy? WTF is that?! :wink:

Caos...now that I understand! :lol:

Chaos. Just in case you wanted to use it in a typed message someday ;)

chicane23
07-09-2006, 01:45 PM
since John hasnt posted here is a couple days....... i assume all this is a moot point.

First off, I have a life outside of NASA which involves two great boys that I wish to enjoy and be with as much as possible and I don’t read these posts on an hourly basis.

John has made it very clear that he is not racing w/ us anymore. either by the comments he's made in the Toyo Bucks thread or in this thread

You seem to be very confused and I really think you need understand a few basic things about me.

I can care less what you or anyone else thinks about me or anything else. So with that said, I will post what I feel is necessary or not, when and where I feel like posting those thoughts. I have not said anything too negative that not everyone else is thinking or has said before.

Now on your confusion, I have posted why I’m thinking about not coming back to NASA in the Toyo buck thread and you stated this in the beginning of your rant. Then toward the end you feel that you need to counsel me and I should reevaluate my racing. What are you missing??? Should I spell it our here for you or can you refer back to the Toyo buck thread again? Secondly, I really don’t have to explain why I’m leaving or not. You’re a grown man, make your own decisions and quit worrying about what me or everyone else is doing.
Try to find something else worth while to actually complain about and get on with it.

Todd Covini
07-09-2006, 02:04 PM

NASA vs. CMC/AI.
Regional vs. National

jb

Thankyou.
This continues to be the heart of the problem that we hope to have fixed, one way or another, very soon.

-=- Todd

AI#97
07-09-2006, 04:50 PM

Sorry....it's so hectic around here I am starting to forget my H's.....!

If we are going to start having spelling and grammar review....we might need to send Glenn back to school!!! :wink: :lol:

GlennCMC70
07-09-2006, 06:22 PM

Sorry....it's so hectic around here I am starting to forget my H's.....!

If we are going to start having spelling and grammar review....we might need to send Glenn back to school!!! :wink: :lol:

i went to school @ FU. :P
starting to look and feel like CC.com around here. :roll:

AI#97
07-09-2006, 09:33 PM
i went to school @ FU. :P
starting to look and feel like CC.com around here. :roll:

Yeah, I thought it was kind of funny it took us this long to finally start bitching about spelling.....guess we were all too busy bitching about so many other things!!!! :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Garbage
07-09-2006, 09:43 PM
Damn and all I wanted was the freakin race write up and magazine coverage. Wow! :shock:

It's bedtime for me!

DA

Todd Covini
07-10-2006, 01:34 AM
Skip is working on the race writeup.
(Remember, the plan was to ask for help when Adam & I needed it. We needed it last month and we're following JG's orders. He's promised us that that would get the writeups out sooner, but I guess we're expecting too much.) :roll:

NASA controls the content of "NASA Speednews" in GRM. It's the official newsletter of NASA and seems reasonable that they have a say in what goes in their paper. We do our best to submit our Texas AI/CMC writeups to NASA and GRM (as well as all the other websites) in various versions (short to long) so that we'll hopefully get coverage...but there is never a guarantee.

I'm sorry the latest version of GRM only has my interview in there. (I sighed when I saw it and knew it would draw some friendly fire. :oops: ) I did my best to facilitate JG, DD and RP's interviews well before getting my own done. I wish one of those others would have made it in, but again, never any guarantees.

-=- Todd

PS- Don't be too hard on Skip. He's busy and working hard at getting something out soonest. Hang in there, guys!

Garbage
07-10-2006, 07:49 AM
This series is sounding like a bad relationship. Everyone is blaming everyone, and no one likes each other.

I got that from Dr. Phil. :D

With Love and Peace for All Mankind,
DA

bossskip302
07-10-2006, 10:23 PM
David, fellow drivers. I am responsible for this last events write-up...I should have this completed by tuesday and sent to Todd and Adam for thier review..I should have had this done sooner and for that I am sorry.
I try to check the boards once a week, been kinda busy.

Skip