PDA

View Full Version : Good reading

ShadowBolt
03-28-2011, 09:42 AM
http://www.formula1unitedstates.com/F1RacingArticle030711.pdf

Go down to page three to see turn one at the new Austin track.

Dave, when is our first date at the Austin track?

JJ

Crumpacker
03-28-2011, 07:54 PM
Dave, when is our first date at the Austin track?

JJ

You looking for another track to chase the creamsicle around...? I'm in.

:wink:

Cool article, thanks Jerry!

AllZWay
03-29-2011, 08:04 AM
I am still in disbelief that this track is getting built.

ShadowBolt
03-29-2011, 08:49 AM

Me too but if it does it would be a great place for NASA Nationals, being in the center of the country.
I know Red McCombs has the money and it really is a good location (the as far as how close it is to so many people from the DFW area to Houston, to San Antonio) but I can't believe the Austin Hippies are letting it happen. We have so many tree huggers that try and stop everything around here.

JJ

Fbody383
03-29-2011, 09:26 AM
Remember, it's a smaller green impact than the housing that was originally proposed for that tract.

I'm still planning to go to the race even if I have to sell all of Mitch's stuff to afford it.

mitchntx
03-29-2011, 10:57 AM

Me too but if it does it would be a great place for NASA Nationals, being in the center of the universe.
I know Red McCombs has the money and it really is a good location (the as far as how close it is to so many people from the DFW area to Houston, to San Antonio) but I can't believe the Austin Hippies are letting it happen. We have so many tree huggers that try and stop everything around here.

JJ

Fixed.

jdlingle
03-29-2011, 03:41 PM
If NASA can't afford to rent TMS I cant see them being able to afford this one. Got their survey the other day about potential ticket prices.... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I sure would love to run there though. It looks like its gonna be awesome.

Waco Racer
03-29-2011, 07:03 PM
If NASA can't afford to rent TMS I cant see them being able to afford this one.

Where did you get that information? It's not factual.

marshall_mosty
03-29-2011, 08:47 PM

I think TMS is more about their "wonderful" management oversight.... (at least that was my take during ChumpCar)

mitchntx
03-29-2011, 08:52 PM

Good cop - Bad cop

So we race TMS next year?

GlennCMC70
03-29-2011, 09:16 PM
I'll say this. If (big if) NASA TX was to have an event at the new Austin F1 track, folks who said they would never in a million years run w/ NASA would be killing themselves to sign-up before it filled up. The car count would be insane. The result would be NASA could afford it.
TMS????? Not so much. I could care less. I've run it, the infield sucks. OK, the banking would be cool.... for about the first two or three times. After that, whatever. The most boring part of TWS is the "banked" front strech. Big deal.

mitchntx
03-29-2011, 09:30 PM
I'll say this. If (big if) NASA TX was to have an event at the new Austin F1 track, folks who said they would never in a million years run w/ NASA would be killing themselves to sign-up before it filled up. The car count would be insane. The result would be NASA could afford it.
TMS????? Not so much. I could care less. I've run it, the infield sucks. OK, the banking would be cool.... for about the first two or three times. After that, whatever. The most boring part of TWS is the "banked" front strech. Big deal.

But yer skeered of the 3.1 at MSRC .... ooooo ... it's dangerous.

:roll:

jdlingle
03-29-2011, 09:34 PM

From the National Director on the nasforums.com http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=39194&p=289337&hilit=texas+motor+speedway#p289337 (copied and pasted the whole quote so it wouldn't be misconstrued, see the highlighted portion):

""""""jacob300zx wrote:
Lightning, Cyclone, Blitz, and Thunder? What in the world is going on? I feel like I'm entering a Power Rangers Olympic event or an acid trip. Are you passing out mushrooms and flower wreaths at the grid or laser guns?
I would have much rather had this conversation face to face, but since I am sure there are others wondering the same thing, I'll try to address much of it here.
Don't forget that I'm a freak from California - The Land of Fruit and Nuts. I was born in the sixties, so you're lucky I didn't name the groups "Rainbows" and "Butterflies" (which I did at a Rocky Mountain event and people there thought is was pretty funny).
Whatever we can do to grow the Texas Region I will do. If laser tag is what it takes, then bring it on. I'm thinking more of having a paint-ball tournament one evening. Part of the attraction of NASA is fun when appropriate. Some people take their racing way too serious and apply that to the entire weekend. Off track should be laid back and having fun.
jacob300zx wrote:
Is 37min enough for the first group to meet and get suited up or should it be more like 39min?
I sure hope so. My suggestion would be for the first group on track to come to the meeting suited up and ready to go. If they want to bring their car to grid at 7:00, that's even better.
I personally don't like morning racers meetings, but this AM meeting was requested by our series directors and race directors. They felt that getting rid of the early AM meeting at the very first event of the season would be confusing.
jacob300zx wrote:
How about you fix things that actually need to be fixed, like more transponders, not charging rediculous late fees when paying in person in cash, not hasseling people with TT stickers when trying to run hpde 3 for extra sessions (no hpde3 sticker, lol), adding new tracks to the schedule, discounts for getting new people over to NASA, more tech inspectors, louder intercom, free NASA stickers, etc.
More Transponders. There should be 16-18 at the event. On the other hand, I only see TWO reserved, why do we need more ? If we need 32 or more and they will all be used, I can get them.
There are no fees for paying in cash. There are late fees for signing up late. Signing up late causes extra work and areas where we can make mistakes. There is no real good reason to sign up at the track. At some point soon (maybe there for TT now) we will have no late fees at the track as if you don't get signed up early, there will be no room for you to add.
I can't address this one as I don't know specifics, but if you've paid for the track time there should be no trouble or hassle.

New tracks. We are currently planning an event at NOLA (not yet ready to release date yet as it is a three region effort). Trying to figure out how to fit Grand Bayou into the schedule. F1 Austin track is not built yet, but we're asking questions. NASA was just at Harris Hill two weekends ago. We're getting info on the airport course in Brownsville. Once we get a good solid HPDE program we can look at Grand Sport. And once we hit the 250 car mark per weekend, we will be able to afford Texas Motor Speedway.

I've already paid for several membership out of my own pocket. Enticing your friends new to NASA (or HPDE) to take your car out in a single HPDE session for only $40 sounds attractive. Race entry fees were dropped $85 per weekend to make it more attractive for those wanting to give us a shot (i.e. pays for their NASA license in one weekend).
More tech inspectors. Just added one for at track events. Adding non at track HPDE tech shops and race tech shops will be helping with the load. There will be 3-4 people doing annuals this Friday night.
I will ask each of the tracks if there is a way to make the speakers louder. Except, other than the morning welcome and the National Anthem, there really isn't much to say. Except when I get a hold of the microphone and start announcing races (then many ask that we turn down the volume ).
Aren't all NASA stickers free? I don't think I have ever charged for them.
jacob300zx wrote:
These are more important for most people, not some silly name for run groups that are just going to confuse everyone.
As far as silly names, that is all in the eye of the beholder. Other areas of the country get really confused when you tell them Race Group D is up.... What is that PTD? Dave? Dummy? Now you say "THUNDER" race group is up next, there is no confusion. Ground Pounding, Knuckle-Dragging, V8, Muscle Cars. Woomah Babay!!!!
jacob300zx wrote:
Please remember this is Texas, and we don't like to be hassled.
You'll get to know us, but if you ask anyone that knows me if I am king of hassle, you'll get a quick answer. If you've ever gotten an email direct from me my signature contains, "Organization, Fun and Safety with Maximum Flexibility". This isn't just some spew I came up with one day because I was told to. Flexibility = Less Hassle. I take this to heart and if all four of those aren't being met on a weekend I have failed.

National Championships Dir""""""

I assumed that was pretty factual. :wink: My bad if I was wrong.
John

Waco Racer
03-30-2011, 08:24 AM
That's not the whole story.

michaelmosty
03-30-2011, 12:20 PM
I'm with Glenn. TMS is cool for the atmosphere but the roval sucks balls.

nasa-rm
03-30-2011, 03:20 PM
It's factual but maybe being interpreted the wrong way.

MSRH ~ 145ish cars
MSCR ~ 185ish cars
TWS is already at ~ 90ish cars one month away

Our goal for NASA TX for 2011 is to hit an event with 200 cars. Not out of the question based on what we have seen so far.

250ish is the goal for 2012 as is running at TMS and at Austin F1 if it becomes available for a reasonable cost. Can't be any worse rent than Miller.

And yes, if we put on an event at Austin F1 - I imagine we would be turning away entries once we hit the 350-400 mark.
8)

BlueFirePony
03-31-2011, 02:14 PM
Dave, the direct, results-oriented approach you bring to this thing is flat out incredible!

What you and Revkah have done in 2011 already has made a believer of me. Keep up the GREAT work...I'll be doing what I can to get us to the 200 mark...you get Red on speed-dial so we can get some of that Austin F1 action!!

RichardP
03-31-2011, 02:43 PM
Very large AI/CMC fields - Extremely cool
Healthy, well run organization to race with - Good stuff
Growing attendence to the point of reduced track time and no parking - Not so sure
Getting "rewarded" for the extra hassles by having to drive TMS - ???
Getting to drive Austin F1 track - maybe worth the pain...

Richard P.

BlueFirePony
03-31-2011, 11:09 PM
Not sure increased attendance would need to mean less track time the majority of the time, if at all, and not sure TMS needs to be attended by those that are not interested in attending.
If the demand gets too high NASA would have the option of limiting attendance...if it got really high they could run more events (race-only, HPDE/TT/Comp school only).
Of course its all just conjecture though right now until it happens...just like F1-Austin...
I'm just happy for a spot of sunshine to look at as I comb the interweb looking for one damn 18" RA1 under $400

edrock96GT
04-01-2011, 12:14 AM
...I'm just happy for a spot of sunshine to look at as I comb the interweb looking for one damn 18" RA1 under $400

Have you looked more into getting 13" brakes? I know someone that would take those 14"s off your hands. :wink:

GlennCMC70
04-01-2011, 07:15 AM
What you lose by selling those brakes relative to what you paid will be offset the first year in tire cost savings.

Put those 18's and 14's up for sale as a package on the AI forums.

AllZWay
04-06-2011, 11:14 AM
Here is another good story to read... It is an interview with Bob Varsha about F1 and Austin.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/119034994.html