PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of my Shaft and Rod

BryanL
03-28-2011, 03:34 PM
Does this wear look normal, abnormal? Need different lube?

BryanL
03-28-2011, 03:35 PM
Another

BryanL
03-28-2011, 03:36 PM
A little curvature.

BryanL
03-28-2011, 03:37 PM
maybe some rust deposits underneath the rocker arm?

mitchntx
03-28-2011, 05:46 PM
The push rods look like what I've witnessed on an over-rev. Missed any gears lately? Or maybe an early downshift?

Is the camshaft wear superficial or can you feel it with a fingernail?

What does the roller end of the lifter look like?

edrock96GT
03-28-2011, 06:21 PM
Do you have roller lifters or solid? If they are solid, that wear all looks like it would go a long with a bent rod.

BryanL
03-29-2011, 10:08 AM
No big deal on the bent pushrod-I just wanted to post it. The ball end of all the rods look okay I was just wondering about the deposits on the top end of them.

Lifters are rollers and I don't know that the bent rod matches up with that lobe.

I can't really feel the wear with my finger or fingenail. Maybe the outside edges feel a little different meaning they maybe aren't as smooth but no ridges or anything. Hard to see what the roller end of the lifter looks like. To me it looks like the roller is the same width as the marking on the cam lobe. I thought the roller part of the lifter would be wider. The wear looks similar on the lobes toward the back of the block, too. I'll get the spare lifters and pushrods this weekend to look them over.

I'll take an oil sample and have it anaylzed. The last sample I did showed everything in great shape.

I also have some spare camshafts that I will inspect to compare the wear. I would like a reason to swap in the 01-02 model cam that came in the trucks. I think that would give me a little more torque and less high rpm horsepower so I might be able to run a larger restrictor.