PDA

View Full Version : TWS Media thread

mitchntx
05-02-2011, 11:01 AM
This is the "warm-up" lap for Race 1 ...

http://lawmotorsports.net/vids/TWS/Apr11/TheOutLap.wmv

Hood
05-02-2011, 12:47 PM
What was the rattling noise? Sounds like the driveshaft hitting the safety loop...

Crumpacker
05-02-2011, 01:05 PM
sorry guys, I'll take some blame for this one... In the process of turning on my camera, a friend opened my passenger door then couldn't get it closed (it's finicky). Steve was giving me (and my friend) time to get the door secured, those extra seconds caused a pretty good gap. *facepalm* Those seconds plus a fast paced out-lap caused a 9/10ths out lap for alot of you guys. My bad.

losing 11 spots on grid sucks by the way.

michaelmosty
05-02-2011, 01:18 PM
I hope to get my camera situation fixed. Dave downloaded my videos from Saturday but for some reason the Sunday videos won't open. The videos show on the SD card and the full size is there but I get error messages that they can't open. I'm going to get Jeremy to look at it in a day or two since I am technology challenged.
I'm going to be majorly bummed if the videos don't come out. R3 was some of the most fun I have ever had racing and R4 had by far my best invert start ever!! (fingers crossed for footage)

BryanL
05-02-2011, 03:09 PM
sorry guys, I'll take some blame for this one... In the process of turning on my camera, a friend opened my passenger door then couldn't get it closed (it's finicky). Steve was giving me (and my friend) time to get the door secured, those extra seconds caused a pretty good gap. *facepalm* Those seconds plus a fast paced out-lap caused a 9/10ths out lap for alot of you guys. My bad.

losing 11 spots on grid sucks by the way.

That had way less to do with your issue than the speed carried on the outlap by the lead car. What if we hadn't lost all the cars to mechanicals and had an extra 6-8 cars in the field. It wouldn't have been any different. I know in the past we have talked about having a quicker out lap to get more green flag time. But for the first 3 races I didn't think there was a chance that we would get bunched up in time to get the green. And I still don't understand why the lead car, Marshal, (sorry but you are director now and I get to call you out now) increases their RPM's any at all after they get on the front stretch. If you want to be in 2nd gear at the perfect RPM for you motor for the start and that is 3500 then that is the rpm that you should slow down to and maintain. At Cresson I was on the front row of an invert and noticed the same thing but with an even greater increase in speed once we got on the back straight to get the green flag that continued to increase the farther we went before getting the green. It really screws up the guys all the way in the back.

mitchntx
05-02-2011, 03:33 PM
I was in 4th gear before the end of the pit wall and at 5K in fourth on the back straight ... LOL

marshall_mosty
05-02-2011, 04:34 PM
That had way less to do with your issue than the speed carried on the outlap by the lead car. What if we hadn't lost all the cars to mechanicals and had an extra 6-8 cars in the field. It wouldn't have been any different. I know in the past we have talked about having a quicker out lap to get more green flag time. But for the first 3 races I didn't think there was a chance that we would get bunched up in time to get the green. And I still don't understand why the lead car, Marshal, (sorry but you are director now and I get to call you out now) increases their RPM's any at all after they get on the front stretch. If you want to be in 2nd gear at the perfect RPM for you motor for the start and that is 3500 then that is the rpm that you should slow down to and maintain. At Cresson I was on the front row of an invert and noticed the same thing but with an even greater increase in speed once we got on the back straight to get the green flag that continued to increase the farther we went before getting the green. It really screws up the guys all the way in the back.

So I'm damned if I do, damed if I don't.... At MSR-C, the lead AI car (not me) who went too slow got chastised for not getting it right and taking too long from boot hill to the green... I tried to pick up the pace for a 2.9 mile outlap to give us more green flag racing instead of having a 5 minute outlap.

In R1, I did a 3000 rpm in 4th gear outlap and then slowed down in the in T10 (of 15) to 2500rpm in 2nd gear and stayed there for the rest of that outlap until the green. That apparently was too fast for the back of the pack...

In R3, I did a slower outlap, 2500 rpm in 4th gear until T10, then slowed to 3000 in third. I "did" increase the rpm's by a few hundred (to 3200-3300) once I exited T15 prior to the green... fine, my bad. Shoot me...

In each race, I did look over my shoulder in the carousel to see how the grid was forming up and it "seemed" to be bunching up to where we "should" be okay over the next five turns and the first part of the front straight.

You guys put your collective heads together and give the AI guys a guideline. If you want a specific mph, fine... Just tell me what you guys will be comfortable with. I can do whatever is deemed, smart, safe, and not hindering other's ability to form up correctly.

BryanL
05-02-2011, 04:41 PM
Sounds like you are already getting the hang of this director stuff. Maybe its something to be discussed as far as how many cars are in the field and how long the track is to determine outlap speeds. I don't own a gun so I can't shoot you. But even a 2-300 rpm increase results in a big change once it goes back over 100 yds when the back of the field is just starting the s's.

marshall_mosty
05-02-2011, 04:45 PM
This is the "warm-up" lap for Race 1 ...

http://lawmotorsports.net/vids/TWS/Apr11/TheOutLap.wmv
Mitch,
You formed up properly between T11 and T12... What's the big deal? You had maybe 5-6 cars behind you that would have formed before the T13-T15 complex and would have been perfectly sorted by the front straight...

There was "zero" grumble from the starter about R1 regarding bad formations...

mitchntx
05-02-2011, 05:07 PM
Mitch,
You formed up properly between T11 and T12... What's the big deal? You had maybe 5-6 cars behind you that would have formed before the T13-T15 complex and would have been perfectly sorted by the front straight...

There was "zero" grumble from the starter about R1 regarding bad formations...

I was in 4th gear before the end of the pit wall and at 5K in fourth on the back straight ... LOL

I just found it odd.

You certainly didn't drive that fast on the cool-down lap. Why?

BlueFirePony
05-02-2011, 05:28 PM
So I'm damned if I do, damed if I don't.... At MSR-C, the lead AI car (not me) who went too slow got chastised for not getting it right and taking too long from boot hill to the green... I tried to pick up the pace for a 2.9 mile outlap to give us more green flag racing instead of having a 5 minute outlap.

In R1, I did a 3000 rpm in 4th gear outlap and then slowed down in the in T10 (of 15) to 2500rpm in 2nd gear and stayed there for the rest of that outlap until the green. That apparently was too fast for the back of the pack...

In R3, I did a slower outlap, 2500 rpm in 4th gear until T10, then slowed to 3000 in third. I "did" increase the rpm's by a few hundred (to 3200-3300) once I exited T15 prior to the green... fine, my bad. Shoot me...

In each race, I did look over my shoulder in the carousel to see how the grid was forming up and it "seemed" to be bunching up to where we "should" be okay over the next five turns and the first part of the front straight.

You guys put your collective heads together and give the AI guys a guideline. If you want a specific mph, fine... Just tell me what you guys will be comfortable with. I can do whatever is deemed, smart, safe, and not hindering other's ability to form up correctly.

Jumping in since I led both inverts at MSRC .. R2 was too slow - my bad - understand that situation better now (hence the lessons in inverts?)...I started at 3200 in 2nd but dropped to 2500 through the boot hill complex when I spotted a straggler (the car was just coming to L'il bend) and a fairly big gap in the CMC ranks. That pace allowed the car to catch up and the gap to dissapear but at the same time was too slow for everyone - I was already on the straight heading to the start by the time I saw that everyone was formed up and figured we'd get waved by if I increased the pace.
R4 I ran at 3200 in second from l'il bend through the start and everyone seemed to be OK with that so unless told otherwise that's what I will do going forward and just let the flagger handle whether the stagger is Ok or not.

marshall_mosty
05-02-2011, 06:39 PM
I just found it odd.

You certainly didn't drive that fast on the cool-down lap. Why?There was no reason to... My car was hot and I was giving it a chance to cool down... Hence "cool down" lap... geez. There is no pleasing some of you guys... :)

mitchntx
05-02-2011, 06:46 PM
I see Todd has gotten to you ... I take back all my apologies.

marshall_mosty
05-02-2011, 07:41 PM
I see Todd has gotten to you ... I take back all my apologies.If that's how you want to be... your choice, not mine...

GlennCMC70
05-02-2011, 07:59 PM
One comment Marshall -
You are correct that Mitch was able to form-up by T11-T12. I think it is the speed at which he had to run in order to form-up is the issue. Instead of motoring away as soon as you clear the wall, drive pit road speed down the pit road to the end of it. Scrub tires and drag brakes the whole way. Once at the end, pick up the pace to minimize the out lap. We got rid of the pacecar to help w/ this. If we can't manage it, they will force up to use one. Too fast of an outlap could cause us to be waved off and require another outlap. Two 3 minute outlaps = 6 minutes, where as a single 4 minute outlap only costs us 1 minute but could save us 2 minutes. I see it as a fair trade off.

Mitch, I saw in your vid while you were driving down the pit road you were speeding up and slowing down. I know your heating the pads. Try just dragging the brakes some and maintaining a somewhat faster and more steady speed. I drive pretty much a all the way around dragging the brake while scrubing tires and making sure I'm not getting gapped and I'm Jonny on the spot when it is my turn to complete or start a row for the formation. Steve gapped you some at first. Once to T3, I think you realized you were not making up ground. You can do it however you want, I'm only offering a different method.

Boudy
05-02-2011, 08:02 PM
Can we have some media in this media thread please?

Boudy

GlennCMC70
05-02-2011, 08:06 PM
I was just looking for the moderator functions and couldn't find them. I was gonna change the thread title.
Mitch - can you do it?

Alien
05-02-2011, 08:43 PM
For TWS especially, what happened to the discussion of not using the back part (outside the oval) and just cut from 3-4 to 9-10? Understandably too late for this event, but maybe future events?

GlennCMC70
05-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Myself, Marshall and Clifton taked about it Sunday while debating the use of the straight between T2 and T3 for standing starts.

#84Sprint
05-02-2011, 10:30 PM
Here is a few photos from TWS to use how ever you like........Just uploaded all video from this weekend now to go threw them...I just got done watching my new videographer Gavin video I think I all most laugh as mush as I did Saturday night with the gang

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidgarland/

michaelmosty
05-02-2011, 11:07 PM
Dave, you have to post up at least a minute or two of "uncut Gavin footage". When I saw him running around with that camera sticking it into each car for .2 seconds and then running off I new it was going to be great "want to vomit" footage. That was awesome, I know he loved the fact you let him help with video for the weekend!!

mitchntx
05-03-2011, 06:12 AM
Mitch, I saw in your vid while you were driving down the pit road you were speeding up and slowing down. I know your heating the pads. Try just dragging the brakes some and maintaining a somewhat faster and more steady speed. I drive pretty much a all the way around dragging the brake while scrubing tires and making sure I'm not getting gapped and I'm Jonny on the spot when it is my turn to complete or start a row for the formation. Steve gapped you some at first. Once to T3, I think you realized you were not making up ground. You can do it however you want, I'm only offering a different method.

At first, yes. But I was in 4th gear before the end of pit road.

We never discussed what pit road speed should be, but I bet it wasn't any where close to 80 mph.

I'll go with whatever the group wants. Just be consistent.

mitchntx
05-03-2011, 06:22 AM
I was just looking for the moderator functions and couldn't find them. I was gonna change the thread title.
Mitch - can you do it?

No. I can only change the title of my post, not the whole thread.

#84Sprint
05-03-2011, 06:40 AM
High Jack Media Thread :) ,,,, I will post some of Gavin the new videographer of the year............... Marshall , I have to change gear in the sprint car for Wed night play day at the Devils Bowl first...