PDA

View Full Version : Hallett - OMG

mitchntx
06-12-2011, 05:56 PM
What a weekend.

Racing was awesome and I am beat.

Lots of mechanical issues, some of which resulted in some body damage as well.

Trans missions, rear ends, motors, fuel pumps, brake lines, power steering lines, radiator hoses ... carnage was unbelievable.

But all that said ... just a couple racers were done. Folks pitched in and helped where they could.

I finshed a 5th, 9th and 2nd ... gridded 5th for the big race and finished 5th after racing Steve as hard as I have ever raced, just squeaking by with a couple laps remaining and he and Cody Powell were all over my bumper coming out of the last turn.

And Amazing time.

Connie sends her love and well wishes to those who didn't make it. And she wants NASA-Texas on the schedule twice next year. :cool:

I have a LOT of race footage to sift through. Will post something ASAP.

michaelmosty
06-13-2011, 01:07 AM
Crazy weekend!!!
I found out I had a blown front strut on Friday and a huge thanks to the Love's who brought a pair of Tokico's for me to put on the car Saturday morning!!
I qual'd 2nd behind the REDICULOUS time of 1:27.7 from Sir Proctor for R1. I got a great launch to take the lead and was able to navigate some AI traffic in the perfect spots. After a few laps I look back and suprisingly have about a 5 second lead. Things are looking great until heading up the hill to T4 the motor goes BANG and I do a perfect "Spy Hunter" smoke screen and oil slick. I pull off at the corner station at the top of the hill only to see Corn who is giving me shit for blowing up my motor. Corn had me cracking up from one-liners while watching the blood drain out from the motor. Thanks for easing the tension.

I also want to thank Jeremy, Mitch, and Boudy for offering to loan me their cars so I could stay in the points chase. On Sunday Boudy let me know he wasn't running that day and graciously insisted I run his car. I started from the back and had an absolute blast battling it out with James, Raybob, Morgan, etc.
I started the final race but only made it about 10 minutes as the water temp was creeping pretty high so I took an early exit and got to watch the last 1/2 of the race. Thanks again Boudy for giving me the opportunity to race, it was a blast!!!

I have an old long block that I'll tear into this week and have it ready to go for TWS in August. I'm also going to get pictures of the damage to the current motor and host them after teardown. It is pretty crazy to reach down and grab the crank pulley and move the front portion of the crank up and down.

donovan
06-13-2011, 07:57 AM
MM, are you running an SFI Balancer? If not, you should, sounds like the old stock balancer breaking the crank trick.

DD

AllZWay
06-13-2011, 09:03 AM
It was a feast or famine weekend for me...but luckily the feast was awesome.

Qualified for the pole for R1...car was good. I had a bad start and was looking at the rear of 5 freaking CMC2 cars by turn 2. Didn't matter though...headed into the bus stop on the second lap I lost the brakes and headed for the grassy knoll. There was waiving caution flag at the stand and that probably helped me... It made me check my brakes earlier than normal and I realized real quick I was not going to be able to stop, so I pitched in the grass and did a couple of spins. Finished dead last.

Easy fix though... broken flair coming out of the master cylinder. Huge thanks to Sam for re-flaring it for me and thanks to Ole' English for helping bleed the brakes in time to make R2.

R2...since it was an invert I started up front. I had to battle a couple of AI cars, but got a little separation from Cody Powell and others to win.

R3... start at the rear.... Got a good start and passed a few cars by turn 2, but somewere during lap one a spark plug wire came off the opti and got mangled in the belt. I still managed an 11th place on 7 cylinders. Muchos Gracias to Mr. Francis for loaning me a spark plug wire to make the big race.

R4... All points added up I started 9th. I got a good start and was able to get by a few cars by turn 2 and then proceeded to battle with Cody, Sam, Mitch, Steve, Dan and Jeremy. Most everyone was gracious enough to make a mistake and let me pass. ;) My car was very hot in traffic, but once I took the lead I started short shifting to let it cool and try to maintain some distance on Jeremy... who wouldn't back off any.

Thanks to all those that help push my car through tech... I left the fans running without the engine running and ran the battery down.
Thanks to Mitch for giving me a place to sleep.

And most of all Thanks to Everyone for all the congratulations and kind words. It was a very tough race and I feel very fortunate to have been lucky enough to win it.

Cody Powell
06-13-2011, 09:23 AM
^^I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy, I'm scum^^ Mr. Proctor you are stupid fast! Well deserved victory my friend!
Wow what amazing racing, I think I raced and battled with almost every CMC2 car at some point, unreal! If you have never raced from the back of a 18 car field with those pro texas racers you are missing out, some of the best racing anywhere I guarantee it.
Mitch, Morgan, Boudy, Steve(last lap pass Haha), Ken, Greg, Randy you guys are amazing clean close racers my hat is off to you WOW
I think I would have passed Mitch at least once this weekend but I kept hitting his toe in the sand :)
Worst moment of the weekend.....coming up to my second to last place grid to see that stupid Mosty guy in Boudys car, talk about pressure, Proctor and Mosty behind you sheesh!
Thanks again to all my Texas friends, you guys are the best!

BTW thanks Al and Todd for a wicked tough format, it made Proctors victory all that more impressive!

cjlmlml
06-13-2011, 10:30 AM
Racing is something that cant be done by ones self. Theres no I in racing, ok, so there is an I , but theres no me.

There is a me in team.......

It was good to be back and meet some new folks and see some old ones. Car and driver both need to get better but I enjoyed being back.

It was a monstrous thrash to get the car ready for Hallett & now there are more repairs to be made. Ugh.

I had a lot of help getting ready as well as at the track.

Tip- make sure your headers actually have nuts on the studs going into the h pipe or you might melt clutch cable, motor mounts, and a bunch of other stuff.

Big thanks to

My wife Sharon
Jeff Brooks
Proctor & Morgan
Marshall & Michael Mosty
Jim Dulaney
Scott & John from Hallett
my friend Sid who was up there with us
Richard & Michael Painter

And anyone I missed

Good times.

BlueFirePony
06-13-2011, 10:33 AM
Gotta start with the props.
First, Eddie for taking the last AI podium spot in the big race! Congrats my friend - you fought a heck of a race and deserve it!
Second, Jim D for keeping his nose in there and stealing 4th from me on the last turn. Its never over 'til its over!
Congrats to Frank for taking 2nd and Chris for overall win!
Next, JP for an amazing track record and the win!
Casey for his first series win this weekend AND winning the challenge race! Great job man!!
Great job by DF using his car ALL UP to get a podium spot and JLo for taking the CMC win and to our race port mate Brad for his podium finish!

Without a doubt the best racing ever for me. I came up Thursday with Eddie and Sam so I got to get my bearings properly with a good chunk of time on Friday and put last year behind me. By the time R1 rolled around I was already comfortable enough to go full throttle into the Bitch and then started working on the inside pass. R2 was just trying to stay in the race and not do anything stupid and it was a blast.

Saturday night I was watching the in-car of Michael's amazing run before the engine went silent...came away with several things I was doing wrong and how to correct them.

I decided to experiment for R3 and ran the NT01s on the front and the RA1s on the rear (actually I was just too lazy to change the fronts out after working on the rear brakes that morning :rolleyes: ). Not sure whether it was different grip levels or I just got the tire pressure all wrong, but the car was crazy loose...but FUN! Hopefully someone got at least one of my pro-style 4 wheel power drifts through T1.. I got a couple semi-impressive drifts in and then finally did it perfect and took it all the way with my right rear tire clipping the track out curbing :cool:
Suffered through what seemed to be fuel pickup issue - lost power many times on right handers - got a month+ to figure it out.

For R4 it was all business. Loaded the car up with as much fuel as it would handle - not like I need the weight, but the car was pretty thirsty all weekend and with the pickup issue I thought it best.
Started in 4th with Frank on my left and Chris in front of me. I've been getting great launches on standing starts so the plan was to just stay tucked in with Frank and Chris and then try and hold off Eddie, Shawn, Jim and Casey through T1 and then see how thing sorted.
I got a great launch and suddenly there was Chris' rear wing looking like it was sitting on my hood! Crap...now what? I drafted on Chris for a what seemed like an eternity before I decided to pull out and try and go around on the outside. I clearly had decided too late...Chris was up to speed but I put up a valiant effort racing beside him with two wheels off. Bailed out at the turn and pretty much got jumped by every car within 3 car lengths.
OK. Plan B. Slotted into position, cleaned off the tires and just tried to put down some good laps, while letting pairs of CMC2 cars through as the race went on.
At some point the race came to me and I found myself battling with Jim and having to fend him off for a good chunk of the race. Then we caught up to Eddie who was having to deal with a long brake and some pesky CMC2 cars himself.

Then it was nose-to-tail with Eddie and Jim for the last half of the race!!!
Eddie knew I'd perfected the inside pass at the Bitch so he took it away every time so I tried to set up a few other spots over a couple laps. I can't say for sure, but I think we exchanged positions at least 3 times.
Finally, I got the jump on Eddie and got into a rhythm to finish off the race...which fell apart completely at the Bitch on the last lap when I flubbed a 2-3 shift with Eddie right on me. He got by without a problem and now I was back to battling for 4th with Jim towards the last turn. On the last turn I went in too far and Jim took the pass on the inside for the position - great patience on Jim's part! Crap! 3rd to 5th in the last two turns. Still, WAY better than watching the race from on top of the tire wall

Finally, thanks for Dr. Frank for the use of the trailer, water, fuel funnel and everything else I borrowed.
Fantastic to finally meet your wife...great lady and I'm glad she had a good time!
Thanks to my race port mates for all the sharing and conversation...makes the weekend even better when you have such great guys to hang around with.
Thanks to Jerry for the towel and the chat, Brad for the gloves and the comedy and Marshall for the brake tool so I didn't have to bust my knuckles (much).
Thanks to Mitch for the T6 advice. I always listen...just takes me a while to execute ;)

Hamp
06-13-2011, 10:54 AM
Greg Hampton here: #36 Blue Mustang from Des Moines, Iowa (MW region).

Scheduled plastic surgery to get the smile off my face. R1 was my 4th and final needed for my provisional. Got my book signed off and will get my rookie license. Can't imagine that happening at a better event and with a better gang to be hangin and racing with.

Thanks to Dave Balingit and Ken Rockwell for the help with the brakes maintenance before R1.

Fried a RF hub end of R3: Thanks to Richard for the spare (especially when his car was broke and getting me out there even when he couldn't), Dan for the gas (I was using the pump there and it dried up right before R4), and to Wade and his wife (also a broke car but stuck around Sunday to watch and help) for filling me up while I suited up, etc .. All just in time to make grid. Look forward to returning the favors / help when I can.

I blew a clutch half way through R4, crunched it into 3rd and was able to finish. Wouldn't even have made it out there without all the help.

Words don't seem to do it justice, but many thanks to all and more fun that I'm pretty sure I've ever had. Great meeting all of you and racing with you.

Can't wait to do it again.

btw: Cool suit fundrasier started for Cody and I so we don't have to explain why we have panty hose in our possession.

y5e06
06-13-2011, 11:44 AM
what a grinder of a weekend. Lots went on but 1st off I want to point out what a classy guy Ol' English is. After smashing up his left rear quarter, starting in on his left front, and taking care of both my rear quarters he was all too gracious. He even helped me bleed the brakes on my car for the repair following the incident. I felt quite dejected after that as I never want to be the assignable cause for damage to someone else's ride.

Thanks, Randy.

I got a good look at all the other CMC cars... as they burned by me all weekend. I feel like I've been held back a grade while all my old buds moved on to the next class!

Looking forward to the next CMC weekend [in cooler weather].

K Shaw
06-13-2011, 01:22 PM
Has fun as usual. Working tech and being around the race cars is better than a poke to the eye with a sharp stick. Cant wait to get back into a car and start racing with you guys.

Good seing the RM boys. Powell and Coleman still crack me up every time.

later

kyle

edrock96GT
06-13-2011, 02:17 PM
This was by far the best race weekend I've ever had!

Got in a few sessions on Friday and aside from having to figure out a fuel leak issue, was able to get enough track time in to figure out my lines on a bran new track.

For R1, I got stuck behind traffic at the start and got freight trained by half the CMC2 field by T2. Settled in and started making some ground on Brian until I started having brake heating issues. After that, it was all I could do to try and hold Jim off while saving my brakes. I managed to hold him off until I got a bad exit coming out of the bitch and he was able to pull me down the back straight. I gave my brakes one last time to perform and tried a late brake before the last turn. Jim stayed with me on the outside of the turn until he lost grip and slid off to the outside. After that, I backed off and cruised in for the finish.

R2. Got a decent start but had to go easy and try to manage my brakes the whole race. I set a nice pace but not enough to keep Brian behind me. He eventually divebombed me going into the bitch, I saw it coming and tried to brake early and come back inside but we were too close to the edge of the track. I had the exit speed to get past....but not the pavement! Decided to keep my foot in it despite going four off until car started pointing in directions other than the one it was going and the cockpit was filling up with blowing grass. I backed off and settled in, having accepted my fate (and brakes).

R3. Had an outstanding start and managed to late brake my way into second going into the bus stop. Tried to hold off Frank and Marshall but knew I was just prolonging the inevitable, so I didn't try too hard (or unsafe). Settled in behind Chris after T1 on the second lap and enjoyed the open track until Frank spun in the bus stop. After that it was traffic free running until I noticed Frank steadily catching back up to me. Did my best to keep my speed up hoping the checkered flag would wave before Frank caught me but he was too fast. Once he passed, I just did the best I could to match him through the turns but that big Cobra just walked me on the straights.

R4. That was THE race. This is why I race! This was the best, most exciting race I have ever had! Got jammed up in traffic going into the bus stop and let some of the faster CMC cars by. Once I settled in behind them I was able to make up lost ground and found myself back behind Jim and Brian. I was able to pass Jim and then Brian in two laps going through the bus stop and managed to put some distance between us. After that I settled in and tried to save gas and brakes for the long haul ahead. That proved to be a mistake as Brian and Jim were able to catch back up. I started pushing it again but was held up by CMC2 traffic. I don't mind though, because it set up the best race of my life!
It started with Brian divebombing me 3 turns before going into the bitch and pulling ahead of me. I chased him back around and managed a divebomb going into the bus stop. I flogged the car for the next 10 minutes or so, trying to get the #11 (not Michael) CMC2 car behind me so I could have a buffer, but he was just fast enough to stay ahead. All of a sudden I hear a car downshift on the inside of me going into the bus stop. I didn't even see him! I held my outside line going through the turn and managed to stay in the lead until 3 turns later when I oversteered and drifted through 6 & 7. I lost just enough speed for Brian to pass on the inside before 8. I chased him down going into the last lap and passed back inside on 6 but he was able shoot back inside me coming out of 7....again! I stayed as close as I could, braked early and grabbed 2nd going into the bitch and stomped the gas for all it was worth, and it was just enough. Brian slid coming out of the bitch (and missed a shift?). and I had just enough exit speed to get ahead of him going into the last turn. Whew!!

Big thanks again to Randy for the deluxe air mattress, Frank for the gas cap, Jerry for the bleeder and Brian for the new brake fluid. I had one hell of a weekend and can't wait to do it again at TWS!

Fbody383
06-13-2011, 03:34 PM
Woo Hoo!!!

I love Hallett! I think I've needed help putting the car on the trailer two out of three years though, this year included.

Did the test day on Friday to get the CBP I desperately needed. (Cue Dr. Love: "Francis has NOS in that thing!) Good thing too... dropped another torque arm mount and actually had the torque arm knock the g-load brace off three bolts. Having been throught that before I had a spare and borrowed a tap from G. Money Robertson and the Robertson/Zimmer/Valentin crew bought me some hardware. Good to go.

After the last Friday session I opened the hood to find a mini geyser from the upper radiator hose; Mitch had a spare and I was able to source a replacement while we were out for dinner. Car is running strong ~ should be a good weekend.

Race1:

J Lo decided he was going to qual with the 2 cars ~ crazy quick all weekend. Runyon q'ed in the 2 spot and Orange was only fast enough to grid number three. But qualifying ain't racin'. When the field slowed to a stop, CMC was somewhere on the uphill before the last corner... oh wait, this was the standing start, we were MOST of the way out of the last corner.

GREEN! GREEN! GREEN!

You know there are those moments in racing you hope to remember a long time or have memorialized on video to share and brag about, this was one ~ only without video. :( As we find out later, Raybob stalls on the "go," Mulder launches only to have to stand it on the nose to keep from hitting Raybob, which doesn't matter because Boudy gets credited with a push-start assist as he tries to go off track left around Steve. As all this is happening I get a great launch behind Love who moves left while Runyon moves right. All I can see is a clear middle third and the little voice says, "Burch would do it." I stand on it in second and rocket up the middle taking Boudreaux's battle scarred-curb feeler-right fender with me. I'm down into 2 in the middle of the Duece. Orange is fast enough for win number 1 this day.

Race 2:

Shazam! Coming around for the green we're somewhere in the middle of the last turn as it all goes green. Watching 30 something cars headed down the hill is a sight to see. I try to exercise much patience throughout the race and do a fair job but still manage to cause some contact with Mitch coming into the first straight. He saw me but didn't know the CMC wolfpack was close at hand ~ my bad. Was able to breathe a little toward the end and hold off all comers. Orange is still fast and now 2 for 2.

Intermission:

It IS Saturday night at Hallett. Did you know that some people drink beer-ritas on purpose? Last I saw there was still some perfectly good thinner in the garage. Texas AI/CMC is the best. Talked to some brand-X guys who were trying to figure out who we were and why we were having such a good time.

Race 3:

Maybe this is when I should have had an idea how it would all end. I take the Hardship Warmup to bed some new front pads, I certainly don't want a repeat of horrible brake fade like last year to take me out again. As we leave the paddock on the out lap, my shifter is acting like a carousel pony. Great! Those guys suggested I check the transmission mount and I didn't. So now what? It's Hallett, drive it like you stole it! Start from somewhere in the last turn and watch the mass flow through the first lap. Was lucky to have traffic work in my favor, do a little extra-deep braking into 2 for a super-nice pass or two (if I can say so myself) and pick up the hat trick. Orange is fast but temporarily wounded. 3 for 3.

Race 4:

All the marbles on the line and starting up front; well as "front" as the back six of 30 something cars can be. (Aside: next year is going to be awesome!) Great start; head down and starting to gap the CMC guys. Except now 4th gear is crunching. So I'm driving a car that's had the torque arm/mount, transmission mount, front pads/fluid, and upper radiator hose touched over the course of the weekend. At least it's not overheating. Yet. Tires starting to go, pace yourself. In the mirror I see that confounded white third gen... it's Valentin... Rats! It's J. Lo. Man the kid is quick. I put the crop to her and try to stay away. Double clutching into third, tires getting gone, crunching into fourth. I think the first wave was as he went buy. I give chase for a couple laps to no avail. I feel ok but the car doesn't. And then it won't shift. Oh wait, it will, kinda. Then the flashback... why is it so hard to turn the car? Crap, no power steering; at least the car isn't full of smoke and isn't over heating. However the chase on the 3 is over. Now I'll just try to hold onto second. Gear that is; or third, just pick one. So for about 3 laps no power steering and third gear. Down the straight into the Bitch I try fourth and end up with revs... no forward motion. Well crap. Car is NOT going into gear and there is a race going on that I'm not messing up. I still have some speed so I just drive it up the hill toward a station out of harms way. And a second wave for Jason next time by.

They bring the flat tow and drag me to tech?!? What??? Densmore wisely said, "You're got to first finish to finish first." Apparently with enough attrition, broken Orange can still make weight and be pushed onto the podium, just not very fast.

Wow... what a weekend. First ever win(s). Pitted with the Toolbreakers which was awesome. Raced some new friends, drank some beer(s)-ritas, and broke the car.

It must have been Hallett.

MPHoldway
06-13-2011, 08:31 PM
Sun going down on The Bitch and another great weekend at Hallett. Thanks for all the great racing and shenanigans - it was awesome!

HoustonNW
06-13-2011, 08:58 PM
This was my first trip to Hallett. With the reputation of the track, "the Bitch", I was a bit nervous.

Got there on Thursday night for some CBP on Friday. By the end of the day I was feeling pretty comfortable with the track, especially since the morning sessions were in the wet.

Was I ever wrong. The practice on Friday simply meant that I knew where the line was, it didn't mean that I could ever get to it during a race! Add me to this list of those with a permanent grin after the weekend!

Race 3 was the one that I'll remember. I went off in Turn 6/7 (Dam Turn?) and fell back to last. Caught and tried to get around Randy for several laps and noticed that RayBob had spun - uh oh, here he comes. I got sideways coming out of the Bitch on the second to last lap and he was on my bumper. Get the white flag and I am defending like crazy. Randy goes to the inside in the last turn and so I go outside hoping for a good run. RayBob follows Randy inside - uh oh again!

Across the stripe:

Randy - 16:12.651
Wayne - 16:13.048
RayBob - 16:13.161

I sure would like a pic of that finish!

Hamp
06-13-2011, 09:01 PM
Mitch, Morgan, Boudy, Steve(last lap pass Haha), Ken, Greg, Randy you guys are amazing clean close racers my hat is off to you WOW

Very cool......... back atcha

Casey_SS
06-14-2011, 12:47 AM
Wow...what a weekend! Things started off pretty good in Friday practice but went south that afternoon with the fuel pump intermittently cutting out. Tried several things including a new pump and basically worked on the car all day Saturday. Thought I had it licked just just as the field was leaving grid for race 2 so threw my gear on and went out in the middle of the race to test it. 2 laps in it started acting up again and got progressively worse. Came back in all kinds of pissed off and wired the pump differently to bypass the factory harness while Mindy literally ran to the tower to get me registered for the charity race. The car ran good the first lap so I just started flogging it lap after lap to see how it held up. Ended up chasing down the other cars and winning! Huge thanks to Mindy for running into town for a new pump and to Dave, Mitch, Sam, and Kevin Webb (cake eater) for all the help and good ideas.

Sunday morning I try to go get gas about an hour before race 3 and it blows the PCM fuse. Twice. Figured that out with some help from Dave Francis, fixed it and made it to grid on time (finally). I started in P2, got by the pole sitter on the outside of turn 1 and started to build a gap. Frank was kind enough to spin in the bus stop the next lap (thanks again Frank - I owe you for that one!) which widened the gap but Marshall starting closing in a lap or two later. Gave it everything I had but it wasn't long before he was within striking distance. Saw more of my mirrors than the track but kept it together and was able to hold him off for my first AI win! The bucket of water from Jeremy afterwards felt great!

Race 4 I started in P8 but got stuck in the marbles on the outside of turns 1 and 2. It was insane - cars everywhere and nowhere to go. Lost 8 or 9 positions but made my way back up to 7th overall and I think 3rd or 4th in AI when there was a big bang braking for turn 6, brake pedal went to the floor and a big vibration started up. Brought it straight in and parked it at tech. I'm guessing I broke either a front hub or something in the caliper. Made some pretty interesting noises driving it on the trailer and the brakes were all bound up. Getting it on the trailer required about the same technique as a standing start race :) Had a blast despite all the mechanical issues though....fantastic weekend.

Thanks to Connie, Dave B., Revkah, and all the NASA workers for putting on such a great event. Absolutely love both the track and the "feel" of Hallett. Very special place.

cjlmlml
06-14-2011, 09:11 AM
Anyone know how to get in touch with Corn? Would like some pics.

nasa-rm
06-14-2011, 09:51 AM
We will get them posted and with a link to even purchase giant prints.

Fbody383
06-14-2011, 10:04 AM
We will get them posted and with a link to even purchase giant prints. Giant prints? Did Reagan talk Michael into putting on the white cowboy outfit late Saturday night?

AllZWay
06-14-2011, 11:37 AM
We will get them posted and with a link to even purchase giant prints.

Great... I was also curious how to get them from Corn.

ShadowBolt
06-14-2011, 02:25 PM
What a weekend. Hallett hates Team Jordan. We still love the place but have never (in three years) made it through a weekend without problems. Jay put me in fifth for R1 and I finished third. Helped that Michael and James broke. I got a great start and other than a love tap on Rock going into Bus Stop the race was drama free as fourth was way back. When you are a mid pack slacker third on a non invert is about as good as it gets! Jay and I thought we had a real chance to podium in R4 but ended up only finishing one race. In R2 the axle tube welds broke from the center section and Jay heard a loud noise and came in. I did not see the welds broken but did see the metal fuel vapor line broken from it's mount and moved against the drive shaft so I tied it back and assumed we were good to go. In R3 I started first (invert) and was really confident I could win my first race (with all the traffic the fast guys would have to go through) but we had not fixed the problem and as soon as I turned right I heard the drive shaft hitting and the car tried to snap spin. We took the car down to the shop and they welded it all up. Assumed our issues were over but Jay had to start at the back and about 30-35 minutes in we started getting fuel starvation so we loaded up for the 8 hour drive home. Sad thing is our lap times before we broke were good enough to at least compete with everyone except James who was on another planet.

JJ

michaelmosty
06-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Jerry, I think you and I need to find a different place to park next year. The last two years haven't been kind to either of us.

cobra132
06-14-2011, 03:17 PM
Another great Hallett weekend. Rented a big RV and brought the wife. She had a great time. Had a leak in one of the hard lines on the steering rack on friday. Fortunately had a spare rack, so replacing the cracked tube was an easy fix. Race 1: Spun in the bus stop lap 2. Race 2: Spun in the bus stop lap 2. Kill switch failed and ran the battery down so engine went into limp mode (just like the driver) at the end and could not catch the wounded #67. Race 3: Spun in the bus stop lap 2. I apologize to all for the spins, esp. Cody, and thank all for some excellent driving in avoiding any related contact. Dispite the poor driving, managed to finish 3rd in the first 3 races. Race 4: 15 min before race - car would not turn over. Thanks to Brian and Wayne for pushing the car back and forth and somehow willing it to start. I suspect a starter or starter wire problem. Did not spin in the bus stop. Happy. Spent a very relaxing sunday night at the track and drove home on monday. Look forward to next year. FMR

ShadowBolt
06-14-2011, 03:42 PM
One thing that blows me away is the talent in Texas. I was so proud of finishing third and having 1:29 lap times, and running with the big boys up front......then I thought about all the fast guys not at the track. If Michael and James do not break my third becomes a fifth. Then if you add in JW, RL, GL (if he does not spin in the Bitch) JK, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few more a top ten if everyone shows up is going to be a win to a mid packer like team Jordan (that goes for you also BL).

JJ

AllZWay
06-14-2011, 04:12 PM
Jerry, I think you and I need to find a different place to park next year. The last two years haven't been kind to either of us.

I mentioned this to someone this weekend that I thought Hallett hated me with all the problems it has given me. Last year a busted badly rear-end, this year broken brake line and mangled sparkplug wire. I have also in the past had powersteering issues.

This track is killer.

GlennCMC70
06-14-2011, 04:26 PM
I've always wanted to walk Hallett after the track goes cold. I figured if I did, when I got to the Bitch, I'ed trip and fall......

rleng1
06-14-2011, 04:39 PM
One thing that blows me away is the talent in Texas. I was so proud of finishing third and having 1:29 lap times, and running with the big boys up front......then I thought about all the fast guys not at the track. If Michael and James do not break my third becomes a fifth. Then if you add in JW, RL, GL (if he does not spin in the Bitch) JK, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few more a top ten if everyone shows up is going to be a win to a mid packer like team Jordan (that goes for you also BL).

JJ

JJ, you are just getting a whiff of what it smells like to be a trophy girl. let me know sometime.

BADVENM
06-14-2011, 06:25 PM
Just wanted to thank everyone for a great time...minus the humidity. This was my first time at the track.

I especially want to thank Jason love and his dad as well as Brad Densmore and Dave Sealander...all CMC1 friends and direct competitors. I had a bolt puncture a hole in my differential cover after race 3. Jasons dad immediately got the car in the air and started removing the rear diff cover in hopes of getting me out for the championship race. I was able to get the diff cover over to the shop on track (sure is nice to have once of these!) to get the hole welded up and purchase a few quarts of gear oil. Jasons dad also noticed EVERY bolt in the axle was finger loose! Dave S torqued the bolts, put the cover back on and filled the diff.

Car wouldnt start so a quick charge was in order (we just replaced our cutoff switch a week prior). I was able to at least get on track for the parade lap and cross the start finish before getting off track and the quickest exit. Not knowing the extent of the damage I didnt want to potentially scatter parts, fluid and who else knows what, jeopardizing the thunder groups race time by having to clean up the track. Good thing I did cause once I got the car on the trailer there was another modest leak from the front of the diff...not to mention whether or not the car would die on track if it wasnt charging.

Congrats to all the participants and the podium finishers...I have video and vivid memories (from the back of the pack) of us all running together (some on track and some off) heading into turns1 and 2...wow it was crazy!

See you next year.

Dave
Team Incidental Contact #8 CMC1

Todd Covini
06-14-2011, 11:38 PM
Amazing Hallett weekend! While only my 2nd Summer shootout and 1st time driving the track, I'm hooked on the weekend. Great to see old friends and new friends and especially such a huge field of 30+ AI-CMC friends!!!

Here's to 30+ car fields from now on!!!

-=- Todd

Rob Liebbe
06-15-2011, 08:35 AM
I've always wanted to walk Hallett after the track goes cold. I figured if I did, when I got to the Bitch, I'ed trip and fall......

That's funny as heck.

CORN
06-15-2011, 10:09 AM
Sorry guys, I thought Dave had already posted the pictures.

http://corndesigns.photoshelter.com/gallery-collection/HMRC-2011-Summer-Shootout/P00008ac0Rpk3H9Q

Use the coupon code "NASA" for 20% off prints.

David Love AI27
06-23-2011, 03:58 PM
Very late to post but just wanted to thank Brian C. for sharing a carport with us and to Dr. Frank for use of his trailer to sleep. I'm very proud of J-Lo's performance and attitude during the event. Raced hard with NO CONTACT... kept a positive attitude even though he was held up on every start. Set the fastest lap in CMC during Sat. Qual... I would have been proud even if he finished 2nd but there is something to say about car prep (not a put down, I've had my share of unexpected failures).. The RM guys were very cool to hang with and we had a blast... I think I should protest the Charity run as I believe that CH was running much faster laps than was used to set his spot on grid.... I missed competing with you guys, next year I will make sure Jason brings his own car....

Casey_SS
06-23-2011, 05:09 PM
DL - wouldn't blame you a bit if you did protest it. I've been told by others that it looked pretty lopsided from a spectator point of view. I just went and looked at MyLaps though and I actually wasn't off by much. The fastest I had run prior to the charity race was a 1:31.2. I figured I could do better than that if the car held up (I was mainly out there to test the fuel pump issue I'd been fighting all day) and told them to grid me based on a 1:29.0 lap time. It was a good faith estimate based on very little seat time. I did end up with a couple hero laps that surprised even me but overall I was right on target.

http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/b420/Casey_SS/CharityRace.jpg

If you still feel something's amiss here, please give me a call and/or feel free to take whatever action you're comfortable with.

nasa-rm
06-24-2011, 12:09 PM
I had an unofficial breakout time of 3 seconds.

David Love AI27
06-27-2011, 12:32 PM
Casey... I was just kidding... it was all for charity and fun..... I have never been a real competitive driver anyway... The car sounded awesome when you went by, I had a big smile when I heard you coming up along side.....