PDA

View Full Version : hitch insert steel

Al Fernandez
07-06-2011, 10:40 AM
Anyone know where to get the 2x2 rounded edge steel tubing that ball mounts for hitches are made out of? I'm thinking of creating a hitch mounted atv carrier. The only one I've seen that can carry a full size atv is a full grand, which sounds ridiculous for a couple of steel tubes and some rustoleum. I've looked around but all I can find is hitch extenders which are only a few inches long. Ideally I would score a piece of this about 50" long. I guess the alternative is to buy one of these extenders, cut off the end, and extend it with normal steel tubing...

mitchntx
07-06-2011, 11:01 AM
The hitch I have for my trailer is rated for 1200lbs of tongue weight. It's a tube inside a tube.

But the fit is loose enough to allow the stab to slide inside the receiver. This is going to create a cyclic rocking motion while travelling.
It's also going to capture the rear tail gate or door closed of the vehicle when loaded.

I had a basket for the rear of my Bronco and it was a PITA.

Waco Racer
07-06-2011, 11:26 AM
I have a piece but it's only 13.5" long. I also have a receiver tube with a collar. I can text pics.

Al Fernandez
07-06-2011, 11:34 AM
True Mitch, but they make collars that slide over the insert and tighten to the receiver with a couple of bolts to eliminate that rocking. As for it being a PITA, yes, but so is buying a bigger trailer! The idea is to put a receiver on the back of the trailer.

Clifton, send away! :)

Rob Liebbe
07-06-2011, 11:44 AM
That stuff is hard to find if not impossible. I would suggest your idea of adding it to a length of standard steel. Late model Chevy truck hitches are made of that material and can be used for short pieces.

Waco Racer
07-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Clifton, send away! :)

Done