PDA

View Full Version : Anyone wanna rent or want a driver?

NASA13
07-19-2006, 01:17 AM
No way I will have time to install my fifth gear and repair my rear end before tws, but it looks like I might be off work. I would love to race anything that is available. CMC is great but AI would be fine too.
Anyone want another driver?
How about a rental?
I have two race cars and nothing to drive. =(
call me if you have any ideas 512 657 6024
Thanks
Corey

GlennCMC70
07-19-2006, 11:54 AM
how about driving the grill! :P
oh wait, its wings and things saturday night.
call mitch and see what the rental on CMC #9 is. :shock:

mitchntx
07-19-2006, 12:10 PM
I've seen Corey drive. Rental fees would be pricey ....

chicane23
07-19-2006, 02:58 PM
Pull the rear out of the other car and run it (Swap).

michaelmosty
07-19-2006, 03:13 PM
No way I will have time to install my fifth gear and repair my rear end before tws, but it looks like I might be off work. I would love to race anything that is available. CMC is great but AI would be fine too.
Anyone want another driver?
How about a rental?
I have two race cars and nothing to drive. =(
call me if you have any ideas 512 657 6024
Thanks
Corey
Corey,
Fix the rear end and get out and race. Just keep your .68 fifth gear (or whatever ratio you have) and drive it!!

NASA13
07-20-2006, 12:41 PM
Corey,
Fix the rear end and get out and race. Just keep your .68 fifth gear (or whatever ratio you have) and drive it!!

I may swap them, but I dont expect to have enough time.
I hate my fifth at tws, it is toture on the back straight.

donovan
07-20-2006, 01:06 PM
bring it over, I will swap out the 5th... I have all the stuff...

I just rebuilt another, and swapping out the 5th in my spare this weekend.

DD

Mike Bell
07-20-2006, 01:52 PM
DD,

How hard is it to do yourself?

donovan
07-20-2006, 02:35 PM
Full rebuild or install the fifth?

The rebuild took me about 4 hours and $180 for the kit.

The Fifth took about 45 minutes, but I have been told that if the smaller gear does not come off easy it can take longer... I was able to slide mine off, but if it does not come off easy, you will need to pull the main shaft out and take it to a press... (I have a press)

What are you needing?

Mike Bell
07-20-2006, 02:55 PM
I got a 5th gear for my T5, need it installed.

(Sorry to hijack ur thread Corey!)

jeffburch
07-20-2006, 03:26 PM
FWIW or FYI, my .80 5th was too big to just install on the MS.
It had to be pressed on the MS while the MS was in the case.
Too complicated for me as you need a press with special forks and what not.

donovan
07-20-2006, 05:14 PM
RP told me how to do it... then I purchaced the video from Hanlon Motorpsorts on 'How to rebuild your T-5', I played it side by side and rebuild the tranny... the next time I did it I did not need the video.

the 5th on both the trannys I have done slipped right off... I think RP had to have his pressed off... but I have a press and and some funky tools for pulling it off too.

If you take the tranny to a shop, it really should be a no brainer for them to do the swap, or you could talk RP into doing it for you... he might be a little busy this week (Baby due this week, I think).

If you get up this way and want to drop it off I can do it... but could be a long haul for a 5th swap... (Austin)

David D.

michaelmosty
07-20-2006, 05:48 PM
The videos from Hanlon Motorsports are excellent. I got one for my Tremec and changed out the blocker rings and 3/4 gear and it was a piece of cake.
Too bad a 5th gear for mine is $500. :evil:

AI#97
07-20-2006, 05:55 PM
The videos from Hanlon Motorsports are excellent. I got one for my Tremec and changed out the blocker rings and 3/4 gear and it was a piece of cake.
Too bad a 5th gear for mine is $500. :evil:

sounds like a lot of trouble....my tranny came with a .81 5th and a .65 sixth!! I love this T-56 and it should be pretty reliable at our power levels given 03 cobras are beating on them well into the 550rwhp range. I just dread the cost of a rebuild when it comes time! :shock:

Mike Bell
07-20-2006, 06:09 PM
RP told me how to do it... then I purchaced the video from Hanlon Motorpsorts on 'How to rebuild your T-5', I played it side by side and rebuild the tranny... the next time I did it I did not need the video.

the 5th on both the trannys I have done slipped right off... I think RP had to have his pressed off... but I have a press and and some funky tools for pulling it off too.

If you take the tranny to a shop, it really should be a no brainer for them to do the swap, or you could talk RP into doing it for you... he might be a little busy this week (Baby due this week, I think).

If you get up this way and want to drop it off I can do it... but could be a long haul for a 5th swap... (Austin)

David D.

DD,

Many thanks for the offer. I have the Hanlon video but am just too timid to tear into it. I'll drop it off at a shop here in Houston. I was just curious when you mentioned you do your own, I guess someday I'll have to roll up my sleeves and give it a try. I just have made some pretty expensive messes doing it on my own so my default answer these days is to farm it out lol. Thanks again for the offer though!

MB

David Love AI27
07-20-2006, 11:35 PM

David D.

I bought a spare t-5 for Amber's car and I want to rebuild it before intalling it. It has a 4 speed in it now... could I borrow your video??

donovan
07-21-2006, 06:38 AM
The video is a borrowed video from a local drag racer... they are $15 at Hanlon Motorsports.

http://www.hanlonmotorsports.com/

The best part about Hanlon, you can order just the parts you need. I ordered the 3-4 shift fork, one bearing and shift fork pads... that is all... very cool.

donovan
07-21-2006, 06:40 AM
DD,

Many thanks for the offer. I have the Hanlon video but am just too timid to tear into it. I'll drop it off at a shop here in Houston. I was just curious when you mentioned you do your own, I guess someday I'll have to roll up my sleeves and give it a try. I just have made some pretty expensive messes doing it on my own so my default answer these days is to farm it out lol. Thanks again for the offer though!

MB

I was the same way... I was very timid, but once I had a spare, I jumped right in, it was the smartest thing I ever didl. Really, once you do it once you will enjoy it, its kind of fun.

DD

Mike Bell
07-21-2006, 08:03 AM
Well, I do have a spare on the deck and I do have the video. Any special tools (besides the possible press) needed?

donovan
07-21-2006, 09:21 AM
Just for the fifth, Snap Rings Pliers, Lock Rings Pliers and a Roll Pin Punch (I think its 3/16th) but if you watch the video it tells you the size.

michaelmosty
07-21-2006, 09:22 AM
Well, I do have a spare on the deck and I do have the video. Any special tools (besides the possible press) needed?
Mike, if you have an old TV and VCR you can take to the garage that would be the best. I watched the video once then watched it again while working on the Tranny. He took out a couple of bolts, then I took out a couple also. I think I almost wore out the "pause" button on the remote. :D
Organization is the key when laying out the old parts. :wink:

marshall_mosty
07-21-2006, 10:24 AM
I too put in the vote for the DIY on tranny rebuilds. I bought the Hanlon video and rebuilt the tranny in the AI car when it was being originally put together in 2003. The tranny has survived 8 weekends so far on all used parts (except for new bearings/seals/blocker rings).

The only "hard" part on doing a T-5 is if you can't get out the T-50 bolt in the side of the case that holds the reverse lever, getting it back into the case is a bitch. I struggled for about 30 minutes before it "popped right in".

I will probably pull mine out after MSR-H to do a refresh before '07. The May event (40 minute race) was kinda hard on it. Me missing 3rd several times probably didn't help much either!

$100 rebuilds DIY are better than $800 rebuilds at a shop!

gt40
07-21-2006, 11:05 AM
$100 rebuilds DIY are better than $800 rebuilds at a shop!Marshal, can I borrow that video sometime? I have a T5 in need of a rebuild, and I want to get a feel for whats involved before I do it for real. This'll be for a track spare available to anyone who wants to buy it, but only if their tranny dies at the track.

TEXAST1
07-21-2006, 11:27 AM
I'll rent you my Bitchin' Black Camaro for AIX. It will be very expensive. :twisted:

donovan
07-21-2006, 11:37 AM
I too put in the vote for the DIY on tranny rebuilds. I bought the Hanlon video and rebuilt the tranny in the AI car when it was being originally put together in 2003. The tranny has survived 8 weekends so far on all used parts (except for new bearings/seals/blocker rings).

The only "hard" part on doing a T-5 is if you can't get out the T-50 bolt in the side of the case that holds the reverse lever, getting it back into the case is a bitch. I struggled for about 30 minutes before it "popped right in".

I will probably pull mine out after MSR-H to do a refresh before '07. The May event (40 minute race) was kinda hard on it. Me missing 3rd several times probably didn't help much either!

$100 rebuilds DIY are better than $800 rebuilds at a shop!

I don't remove the T50, I leave the lever and rod in the case, just tap out the roll pin and slide the 5th fork and 5th assembly off as a unit, put back on as a units... too difficult to put the reverse/5th stuff in with the main shaft in place... I called and talked with Hanlon about, that was there trick.

mitchntx
07-21-2006, 11:52 AM
If I might take this opputunity to install a shameless plug for a sponsor of LAW Motorsports.

Texas Drivetrian and Perofmance has been building transmissions and diffes for as long as I've been in an F-body.

www.texasdrivetrain.com

He is very reasonabley priced and has very quick turnaround.

The gearbox and rear diff in #9 was rebuilt by Jason last year. #8 has a new rear diff by TDP and my street car had both the box and diff redone by Jason.

He works on all makes and versions of the T5 and T56 as well as rear diffs.

He is a one man shop and is best to call ahead to make sure he is there.

TEXAST1
07-21-2006, 12:03 PM
Not to continue the "High Jacking" of Corey's thread, but Mitch you did say "All" including C5 Corvettes :D

macstang
07-21-2006, 12:28 PM
Corey,

Wanna run TT in a 347 powered, AI suspended, 93 GT street car?

We may be able to work something out.

Call me at 601 466 4767

I need help with gas money as this years budget is close to spent due to the damn Exxon gas prices (thats you Todd!).

Jerry

mitchntx
07-21-2006, 01:21 PM
Yes Kevin and VIper

marshall_mosty
07-21-2006, 02:50 PM
Robert,
Michael lost my last video, but I am pretty sure he replaced it when he worked on his Tremec back in January. I'll dig through the videos tonight. If I can find it, I will send it to TWS with Michael... to hopefully not lose again. :wink:

or, you can drop by the house anytime and pick it up. You'll get to see AI #67 laid out, trembling and scared, on the operating table... I need to put her back together!!