PDA

View Full Version : Austin area dyno day

Casey_SS
12-30-2011, 12:08 PM
I'll be doing my dyno at Colvin Automotive in Austin next Friday (1/6) at 10am. Anyone in the vicinity want to join up and make a day of it? Jerry? Frank? Eddie?

Is there anyone in the Austin area who can do a NASA tech inspection?

ShadowBolt
12-30-2011, 01:36 PM
I'll be doing my dyno at Colvin Automotive in Austin next Friday (1/6) at 10am. Anyone in the vicinity want to join up and make a day of it? Jerry? Frank? Eddie?

If I can dyno at MSRH like we did last year it saves me half a day off work. I guess I need to find out if that dyno will be available again this year.

Jerry

nasa-rm
12-30-2011, 02:06 PM

If you guys can get some cars together on a Saturday or one evening, I bet Kyle Shaw can get it done. He's right in Austin.

y5e06
12-30-2011, 02:19 PM
i called Colvin the other day and they said they would be willing to set up a Saturday dyno day in January. I'm thinking more like middle to late end of the month. They were to call me back but haven't yet.
would also work out well for a tech session

Casey_SS
12-30-2011, 03:17 PM
I'm happy to move mine to a Saturday, especially if we can get tech done at the same time. Which Saturday works best for everyone? The 7th or 14th?

Dave - can you PM me contact info for Kyle?

nasa-rm
12-31-2011, 11:13 AM
I'll have Kyle check in here.....

y5e06
12-31-2011, 05:57 PM
the 14th, but 21st is also of interest

K Shaw
01-02-2012, 11:45 AM
A Saturday will work best for me. You guys set it up and let me know the date and I will be there. It looks like the only Saturday that wont work for me is the 7th.

Kyle

K Shaw
01-02-2012, 11:56 AM
Casey.

mustang1974@msn.com

Kyle

Casey_SS
01-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Just talked to Colvin and they don't staff the dyno on Saturdays anymore. Maxwell Dodge's dyno is still broken (has been for a long time). I called every other dyno in Austin - Auto Tech, Classic Jaguar, UpRev, and ProTech. None of them operate on Saturdays EXCEPT ProTech.

I made an appointment Saturday the 14th starting at 10am. Cost is $80 for 3 pulls. If you want to spend more time playing with tuning and what-not, they charge $200/hour, same as most places.

ProTech Body Shop
808 McPhaul St.
512-834-8771
http://www.google.com/maps/place?cid=17149949543020773681&q=protech+Austin+Texas+Car+Repair&fb=1&gl=us&hq=protech+Austin+Texas+Car+Repair&hnear=Austin,+TX&ei=k7IBTeGpEcXflgfRudH9Bw&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=placepage-link&resnum=4&ved=0CDcQ4gkwAw

I told him we would have 2-4 cars which he was fine with. There's no deposit involved so don't feel obligated if the timing doesn't work for you. OTOH, if you don't want to take a day off during the week, you don't have many alternatives.

Kyle - does this work for you?

edrock96GT
01-02-2012, 04:10 PM
I just got home today and have a lot of work to do to get the car ready. I'll be lucky to have everything done by the first race.

K Shaw
01-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Casey. Sounds good to me.

I just need Dave to send me some 2012 stickers and log books and I am good to go.

Anyone else?

Kyle

y5e06
01-02-2012, 05:20 PM
I made an appointment Saturday the 14th starting at 10am. Cost is $80 for 3 pulls. If you want to spend more time playing with tuning and what-not, they charge $200/hour, same as most places.

dang colvin.
I'll be there barring any mechanical hold-ups.
correction:
the address you show is on McPhaul off of Lamar.
the link shows protech body shop off howard.
given you posted the addy, i assume the McPhaul address is the correct place?
Protech McPhaul (http://www.google.com/maps?q=ProTech+Body+Shop+808+McPhaul+St.&hl=en&ll=30.378299,-97.687147&spn=0.011385,0.01929&sll=30.437778,-97.689679&sspn=0.011378,0.01929&vpsrc=6&gl=us&hq=ProTech+Body+Shop+808+McPhaul+St.&t=h&z=16)

NickV
01-05-2012, 03:31 PM
Count me in for the 14th. I'll be up from San Antonioooo.

Casey can you confirm the address from Morgan's post?

y5e06
01-05-2012, 03:43 PM
i just talked to a fellow at
ProTech Body Shop
808 McPhaul St.
512-834-8771
he said he's been speaking to Casey. however, he just now mentioned that he has a drop dead time of 11:20. Seems awful limited to me. So, if we have more cars we'll either need to start much earlier or figure a new date. If more than just us three i'm thinking there can be a time crunch esp if anyone needs to adjust to get their numbers dialed in.

NickV
01-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Interesting....

Paper Rock Scissors for dyno order?? :)

Chuck
01-05-2012, 07:33 PM
I can be there before 10:00 if they will start early. I will need an extra pull or two to adjust timing.

Chuck
CMC#14

Casey_SS
01-05-2012, 11:40 PM
Yeah, he called me this morning and said something came up that he has to leave by 11:30. At the time, Morgan and I were the only ones I knew of planning to go so I just said I'd show up at 9:00, get mine done and make sure Morgan had plenty of time. He sounded perfectly willing to start much earlier than 10 though. Sounds like we've got 4 confirmed cars now? I'll call him back tomorrow and see if we can start at 7...

Yes, Morgan has the right address & phone number above.

ShadowBolt
01-06-2012, 08:22 AM
Colvin stopped doing dyno work on Sat. because they don't want to make noise on Sat. mornings that could bother their neighbors. They are right in the middle of the 60's hippie tree hugger area of Austin.

I don't know if I can even get my car ready in time for the 14th but it does not look like there will be enough time anyway. Looks like four of you without me, so I doubt there are enough hours in his day for all of us.

JJ

K Shaw
01-06-2012, 08:43 AM
Colvin stopped doing dyno work on Sat. because they don't want to make noise on Sat. mornings that could bother their neighbors. They are right in the middle of the 60's hippie tree hugger area of Austin.

I don't know if I can even get my car ready in time for the 14th but it does not look like there will be enough time anyway. Looks like four of you without me, so I doubt there are enough hours in his day for all of us.

JJ

I am in Round rock and work in Georgetown so if I need to I can come by your place after work and tech that car.

kyle

K Shaw
01-06-2012, 08:44 AM
Let me know what time you guys will be there for the dyno and I will be there. 7-8-9 am is ok with me.

kyle

ShadowBolt
01-06-2012, 09:44 AM
I am in Round rock and work in Georgetown so if I need to I can come by your place after work and tech that car.

kyle

Thanks Kyle! I live between G-town and Leander in Whitetail subdivision (off 2243).
It's on jack-stands torn in a thousand pieces. Crap.........I still have the front chrome horn (bumper) to fix. I'm screwed.

Maybe I can get the car back together and I will call the guy at ProTech and see if he will start early. I can be at his place (assuming I get the car back together) by 6:00 AM. Since I'm last to the party I have to make sure the others have time to get theirs done or I will not bother.

JJ

Casey_SS
01-06-2012, 12:42 PM
Just talked to ProTech and we have a window of 7am-11am on the 14th. With me helping strap down cars and what-not, he thinks he can bang out 3 cars / hour for those that don't need to make any changes between pulls. Those folks should show up early and plan to go before anyone who knows or thinks they'll have to make changes. I'm planning to go first since I set this up and won't be making any changes - I'll take whatever numbers I get and adjust ballast for AI legality. He says the max he can handle in this time frame is 6-7 cars if all goes smooth. We have 4 at the moment so hopefully there's enough slack to get everyone through. If things go south for some reason and we run out of time to get everyone done, at least you can still get your annual knocked out and schedule a private dyno session the following week / weekend.

NickV
01-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Thanks Casey!

ShadowBolt
01-06-2012, 02:35 PM
Just talked to ProTech and we have a window of 7am-11am on the 14th. With me helping strap down cars and what-not, he thinks he can bang out 3 cars / hour for those that don't need to make any changes between pulls. Those folks should show up early and plan to go before anyone who knows or thinks they'll have to make changes. I'm planning to go first since I setup this up and won't be making any changes - I'll take whatever numbers I get and adjust ballast for AI legality. He says the max he can handle in this time frame is 6-7 cars if all goes smooth. We have 4 at the moment so hopefully there's enough slack to get everyone through. If things go south for some reason and we run out of time to get everyone done, at least you can still get your annual knocked out and schedule a private dyno session the following week / weekend.

If I can get mine going we would have five.
Morgan
Casey
Nick
Chuck
JJ

y5e06
01-06-2012, 02:44 PM
Thanks Casey. I'll get there early as well. May drag along a SM friend that needs a tech on his car but no dyno.
I hope to not have to make changes, but you never know. i'm going to throw in the next size up plate to start. Last yr I had 7-8hp margin and good on Tq, not to mention I'm fat eerrr, the car is fat & well over weight min. so 1mm bigger should be good.... as long as the dyno's are consistent between each other...

Chuck
01-06-2012, 03:48 PM
If I can get mine going we would have five.
Morgan
Casey
Nick
Chuck
JJ

I can be there early. And I was the last to post, and know I have to check timing, so I can wait to dyno if the time doesn't allow. If I get the annual done I can dyno during the next week.

Chuck
CMC#14

NickV
01-12-2012, 01:30 PM
Sorry folks, but I won't be able to attend the dyno day. A work thing came up and I can't make it up to Austin Saturday morning. Thanks and have fun guys!!!

ShadowBolt
01-12-2012, 02:31 PM
Anyone in the Austin area have four extra Mustang wheels with tires on them I could borrow for the dyno day? I have no wheels right now.

JJ

Casey_SS
01-12-2012, 02:54 PM
I have spare F-body wheels w/ tires mounted but they won't do you much good without adapters. They're 5x120.7mm bolt pattern. I think Mustangs are 5x114.3. If you can get your hands on the right adapter, you're welcome to use 'em.

Chuck
01-12-2012, 11:08 PM
Anyone in the Austin area have four extra Mustang wheels with tires on them I could borrow for the dyno day? I have no wheels right now.

JJ

I have spare 16" 5 lug wheels, some with RA1s that are good enough to dyno. For the front I have two '98 Cobra wheels with tires good enough to roll around on, will clear PBR or Brembo brakes not sure about other big brakes.

Let me know if you need them. Could meet you Friday PM.

Chuck
CMC#14

ShadowBolt
01-13-2012, 11:11 AM
I have spare 16" 5 lug wheels, some with RA1s that are good enough to dyno. For the front I have two '98 Cobra wheels with tires good enough to roll around on, will clear PBR or Brembo brakes not sure about other big brakes.

Let me know if you need them. Could meet you Friday PM.

Chuck
CMC#14

Thanks Chuck!

Call me on my cell when you can. 512-658-7640. I would like to use the wheels if you don't mind.

Jerry

RichardP
01-13-2012, 12:21 PM
Just a reminder that wheels with a significantly different rotational inertia than what you actually plan to run will show up in your dyno numbers...

Richard P.

Adam Ginsberg
01-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Just a reminder that wheels with a significantly different rotational inertia than what you actually plan to run will show up in your dyno numbers...

Yes, it will.

ShadowBolt
01-13-2012, 01:47 PM

Richard P.

By how much Richard? If the wheel and tire is lighter than what we are going to run would I show more or less power with the heavier wheel/tire combo? Even maxed out with timing and everything my 4.6 does not make the numbers.

JJ

Chuck
01-13-2012, 02:00 PM

Richard P.

Thanks for the tech. Richard. Looked up some Toyo RA1 tire data:
275/40R17 is 29# and is 25.7" tall.
255/50R16 is 27# and 26.1" tall.

So the normal 275/40R17 is two pounds heavier, but 0.4" shorter than the 255/50R16. Assuming the wheel weight is about the same, how big of an effect will this have on dyno numbers?

Thanks,
Chuck
CMC#14

ShadowBolt
01-13-2012, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the tech. Richard. Looked up some Toyo RA1 tire data:
275/40R17 is 29# and is 25.7" tall.
255/50R16 is 27# and 26.1" tall.

So the normal 275/40R17 is two pounds heavier, but 0.4" shorter than the 255/50R16. Assuming the wheel weight is about the same, how big of an effect will this have on dyno numbers?

Thanks,
Chuck
CMC#14

Yeah.....what he said.

JJ

marshall_mosty
01-13-2012, 02:42 PM
It all depends on where the weight of the wheel and tire are concentrated. Weight in the center will rotate a lot easier than weight on the outside, so a larger (read heavier) tire will show lower HP than if you run a smaller tire (less weight on the outside of the circle).

Same principal comes into play during Michael's favorite sport to watch (ice skating). During a spin/twirl/whatever you call it, if their arms are out = slower rotation. Bring the arms in = faster rotation for the same initial input of energy.

jdlingle
01-13-2012, 02:57 PM
It all depends on where the weight of the wheel and tire are concentrated. Weight in the center will rotate a lot easier than weight on the outside, so a larger (read heavier) tire will show lower HP than if you run a smaller tire (less weight on the outside of the circle).

Same principal comes into play during Michael's favorite sport to watch (ice skating). During a spin/twirl/whatever you call it, if their arms are out = slower rotation. Bring the arms in = faster rotation for the same initial input of energy.

Nicely done! Good information with a jab at the sibling thrown in:cool:. I give it a 8.5!

ShadowBolt
01-13-2012, 03:36 PM

SO if I'm good with the 16's I should show less power with the 17's?

JJ

y5e06
01-13-2012, 04:18 PM
you can only tell definitively by measuring back to back w/o other variables unchanged or if you know the rotational moment of interia on one combo vs. another. anything else is just guessing.
but as marshal said, when you spin out on the track stick your arms out the window to go faster....

anyway, about ready for tomorrow. trailer is hooked up and i think i have the car done. checking trailer brakes and bearings tonight as its been sitting since Hallett.

ShadowBolt
01-13-2012, 04:53 PM
I'm out. Not worth it to have the rules police make me go dyno again later. Have fun.

Thanks anyway Chuck.

JJ

Casey_SS
01-13-2012, 05:29 PM
Crap...sorry to hear that Jerry. I understand why though...don't blame you a bit. So we're back down to three confirmed? Morgan, Chuck, and me...is that right? I called ProTech again today just to make sure they're ready for us and they confirmed everything. With only 3 cars we should have plenty of time to make adjustments and what-not.

Car's ready and about to go on the trailer. Just need to print my dyno sheet, pack tools, laptop, restrictor plates, etc. See you guys bright and early :)

marshall_mosty
01-13-2012, 11:28 PM
SO if I'm good with the 16's I should show less power with the 17's?

JJ

Assuming your 16's equivalent weight (or lighter) than the 17's, then yes. And... we are only talking about rear tires here. :) You can bring out yO bLiNg 24" front rimz for dramatic effect in the front!!

RichardP
01-14-2012, 11:21 PM
I'm out. Not worth it to have the rules police make me go dyno again later. Have fun.

Sorry. I wasn't trying to cause problems. The effect should be small. I was just making sure you weren't going to try to run within 10 lbs of those numbers, think something was wrong with your car, or bad mouth the dyno because it was off...

If you wan't you can borrow my dyno tires. They are loaded with a slurry of pea gravel and that green tire slime stuff. They came out about 95 lbs. each and look identical to my race wheels. They're a good insurance policy if your hood gets sealed...

:-)

Actually, you could look up Donovan. I don't think he checks in here much anymore but he might be able to help.

Richard P.

ShadowBolt
01-20-2012, 05:03 PM
I'm scheduled to hit the dyno at Protech at 9:30 AM tomorrow.

JJ