PDA

View Full Version : Hairy glass hood.

edrock96GT
02-09-2012, 01:29 PM
If anyone has been looking around for a lightweight hood for a good price, I just finished installing a Hairy glass carbon fiber hood. I snapped some quick pics in the garage just to show some of the details of it.

As for the quality, it's intended for race only cars so it has to be trimmed to fit (comes with an extra foot or so on the back so it can reach the windshield if desired).

It has a gelcoat finish that needs to be painted (no nice looking clear carbon fiber finish if that's what you want). It's cored in the middle and is pretty stiff, and after the heat extracting vent was molded in, it weighed 9.8lbs.

Not bad for $515.

marshall_mosty
02-09-2012, 04:25 PM
Looks good!

edrock96GT
02-09-2012, 05:16 PM
Looks good!

Thanks!

....and just for comparison, the old hood weighed 33lbs.

jdlingle
02-09-2012, 07:23 PM
Nice! Thats a big weight savings in a good spot too.

HoustonNW
02-09-2012, 09:36 PM
Is the finish as good as it looks like in the pictures? It shouldn't take much effort to get it ready to paint.

Do they have one that looks like a stock '98 Camaro hood? wink

edrock96GT
02-10-2012, 08:25 AM
Here's a pic of the finish it comes with. This is the extra 20" I cut off the back.

It wasn't that much effort to get it ready to paint, just go over it with a scratch pad.

They have stock camaro hoods and a bunch of other stuff, here is the website: http://www.nolimitracingproducts.com/

Here are the weights for a mustang hood according to the guy I spoke to (it varies with each one, since they're all hand laid):

Fiberglass= 13-14lbs
Lighweight fiberglass= 10-12
Carbon fiber= 8-10lbs