PDA

View Full Version : Don't get dyno done at MER

ShadowBolt
03-26-2012, 10:18 AM
Just an FYI. Since I had a different engine in the car I had to get a new dyno cert. It was a scramble to get the car ready for the race weekend and did not really have time to get the dyno done prior to the race. I assumed I would race without one then get it done after the race weekend. When I get to the track I see cars being dynoed right next to my parking spot. I ask the guys at MER if they had time to do it, they said no problem. I never thought to ask how much. I had never paid more than $75.00 in the past and usually I have paid $50.00 to $60.00 with A/F. Well after the pulls (A/F did not work so no idea where that is) I ask if they took plastic and the answer was yes (good thing since I only had $150.00 on me). I drove down to the office and was told the price was $189.00 ($202.00 with tax)! I thought the guy was kidding and he got pissed when I questioned him on it. Lesson learned. I don't mind paying a little more at the track. A one hundred dollar tab would not be that bad to keep from having to drive to Austin and unload and reload after but $202.00..........I'm through with those guys.

JJ

rleng1
03-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Track or no track, $75 is what I have paid, at MSRH, and at TWS. No more than $100. Either saw you coming or that is where the high rollers hang out.

ShadowBolt
03-26-2012, 01:21 PM
Track or no track, $75 is what I have paid, at MSRH, and at TWS. No more than $100. Either saw you coming or that is where the high rollers hang out.

I saw paperwork all over the guys desk with $202.00 for three dyno pulls on them. I guess this is his normal price.

JJ

AllZWay
03-26-2012, 02:38 PM
After Jerry was saying what it cost... I did see a small flyer in the clubhouse that had the $189 price listed on it. I also would not have expected more than $100.

Alien
03-26-2012, 02:58 PM
I know I have a bad habit of doing similar (not asking prices before committing) , like ordering Toyos. You storta expect every place to be within the same general price-range. Sure, maybe a little premium for walk-in or for convenience, but x2? I also didn't think you were taxed on labor? Ridiculous.

BryanL
03-26-2012, 03:22 PM
Yeah you gotta pay double for them to fudge the numbers and hook up that hidden brake on the dyno. It's well worth it now that I have a legal dyno and don't have to run a restrictor.

rleng1
03-26-2012, 08:45 PM
Yeah you gotta pay double for them to fudge the numbers and hook up that hidden brake on the dyno. It's well worth it now that I have a legal dyno and don't have to run a restrictor.

You got a dyno on the 50?

BryanL
03-27-2012, 08:56 AM
You got a dyno on the 50?

Yep, and I have video of you setting the slalom record on it. I couldn't hang on the Hutch though and my ribs are still hurting.

rleng1
03-28-2012, 08:15 AM
That was Cody behind those cheap sunglasses.