PDA

View Full Version : TWS, 1yr anniversary of Varner's Winged Flight....

AI#97
07-30-2006, 11:42 PM
With this being the one year anniversary of his NEARLY acrobatic race, I got a video from a guy who raced at VIR with NASA this weekend that brought back this memory and I felt I should share it.....

www.aggie97.com/chad.asx right-click, save as....suggest watching in media player.

Let's be smart this weekend guys.....

Mike Bell
07-31-2006, 06:42 AM
Hmm, looked like there was a waving yellow flag and still he got punted? I think I saw old sapphire up a few cars ahead of this incident driver later in his video ;)

AI#97
07-31-2006, 11:46 AM
Hmm, looked like there was a waving yellow flag and still he got punted? I think I saw old sapphire up a few cars ahead of this incident driver later in his video ;)

Yeah, waving yellow and the cobra driver tried diving under Chad which caused the incident.....I am sorry but I think if I was put on my roof like that....someone would need to see a dentist on Monday!

donovan
07-31-2006, 02:23 PM
What's up with Factory Five drivers and running into other cars?

michaelmosty
07-31-2006, 02:30 PM
What's up with Factory Five drivers and running into other cars?
Apparently current Factory Five drivers can't see yellow flags and former Factory Five drivers can't see green flags. :?

AI#97
07-31-2006, 03:41 PM
You would think with a fully open cockpit they should see the f'n world in detail!!!! Maybe they sit so low or maybe they just feel compelled to drive beyond the car and driver because AI cars are faster???

dirwin
07-31-2006, 03:50 PM
Michael,

Which "former Factory Five drivers" are you referring?

Dave

donovan
07-31-2006, 04:12 PM
He was joking about the love taps SS was giving me back in Houston...

It's all in good fun...

Those things are a handfull at speed, I have talked to quite a few people that have talked about how darty and difficult they can be. I'm sure they are alot of fun though!

David D.

AI#97
07-31-2006, 04:37 PM
Michael,

Dave

The guy driving the blue GPC vette that stalled on the starting line at Hallet...

michaelmosty
07-31-2006, 05:07 PM
Michael,

Dave
The guy driving the blue GPC vette that missed the standing start green @ Hallett. He was the same driver (then a Factory Five driver) that caused the damage to both Glenn and Rob's cars at the first event last year.

donovan
07-31-2006, 05:21 PM
I did not realize he was one in the same! Interesting!

dirwin
07-31-2006, 05:39 PM
Don't take my question wrong, I was just sitting wondering "when did I miss a green flag?"

I know first hand that there are some serious idiots running the FFR's. The one that comes to mind passed 2 stands waiving double yellows and 3 cars in the rain before running up the ass of a Radical nearly killing both of them. Some of you that have run with NASA Texas for a few years know who I am talking about.

Ryan L is who drove the Factory Five and his buddies vette. His buddy is the one who spun the red cobra in Cresson and got creamed by somebody with AI/CMC. The best picture I had of him was in Houston this year stuck in the mud coming on the start/finish straight for most of the race.

The group of FFR guys at VIR this weekend are for real guys that you want to stay away from on the track. Cates and Elam get down right crazy. This is the same group that will tell you the FFR is faster than all but the fastest AI cars, yet when you read the race results they always seem to finish behind the "slower" AI guys.

David, I don't think SS has run into anyone lately, maybe he can come back out here again sometime, I know he made so many good friends last time :roll: There is always nationals :shock:

You are right, the FFR's are a handfull to say the least. 90" wheel base, 2300lbs, 71" width and no power steering. When Dan Lawson was killed this year in his (good friend), I became a forever former Factory Five driver.

dirwin
07-31-2006, 05:43 PM
By the way, Ryan is not a "former" Factory Five driver, he just ran out of money this year, like Arnold, "he'll be back" :shock:

GlennCMC70
07-31-2006, 06:28 PM
thanks for the memories Micheal. i built the car in just under 90 days in my garage. got it running like 2 weeks before the 3-05 MSR event. first day in the car on the friday practice working off my provisional durring a mock race (last session of the day) i get an FFR delivery right as we exit Big Bend. w/ a car on each side of me and no where to bail to (that and the car to my left blocked my only chance to see him comming) i nailed him.

the big problem was he never stopped racing the car. he dropped two off on the right and crossed 90 degrees to traffic to the left, then re-entered from the left (backwards i think) then the front spun around causing me to hit he right rear wheel and door. i cant remember @ this time who hit him first. Rob got the shortest straw for sure. of all those who were collected in that, Rod was the only one who didnt return the next day.

Rob Liebbe
07-31-2006, 07:02 PM
I did make it back eventually, only to have another Factory Five try to take me out this time at MRSC - twice!!! I don't care for them either.

donovan
07-31-2006, 07:12 PM
David, I don't think SS has run into anyone lately, maybe he can come back out here again sometime, I know he made so many good friends last time :roll: There is always nationals :shock:

Its all good! I did notice he did well on the West Coast, looks like he is getting faster with the car and getting the sorted out.

How is your car coming along?

DD

dirwin
07-31-2006, 08:53 PM
Still pushing like pig. Did get the dyno done so it is ready. I brought it to Hallett and got so sick that I didn't even get to drive it. I am going to give it another chance at TWS this weekend.

Spencer has been running good and has gotten some things worked out with Dave's car, we just have yet to transfer the changes over to mine. He ran pretty good against the Maximum Motorsports car out in California and with the changes we have made since, they should be just about right. I have got to run TWS just to get one more race in for nationals.

As for the FFR guys, sorry, I only had body contact one time in that car and it was with a RX-7 I was trying to lap several years ago in an SCCA race.

donovan
08-01-2006, 12:52 AM
It's nice having a test mule!

Sounds like you guys are having fun! See ya at TWS!

DD