PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here...

Pranav
04-28-2012, 12:32 AM
Hey guys, Pranav Patel here, guy who bought Mitch's black car. After about 8 years of Autocross, and a couple of years of LeMons, I decided earlier this year to move up the ladder and join y'all in CMC :D

I've probably met most of y'all at MSRH and MSRC this year, brought the white rental v6 mustang to MSRC, and will be out at TWS this Sunday in another rental Mustang.

Been doing a piss poor job of documenting the process on Facebook while I work on it:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10101659695518754.3467243.8332673&type=3&l=643b237cac

Right now it's sitting in College Station having the cage and driveline put in it, hope to get it back in a week or so, and am aiming to have it ready for the June DE/TT event at H2R.

David Love AI27
04-28-2012, 04:13 PM
Make sure you paint some of it orange... just sayin'

Rsmith350
04-29-2012, 09:32 PM
Good to meet you this weekend, will enjoy watching your car build.

Fbody383
04-30-2012, 09:06 AM
Make sure you paint some of it orange... just sayin' That's just wrong... Pranav, keep us up to date and let the smart guys know if you have questions.

Pranav
04-30-2012, 11:14 AM
Thanks, right now I'm making sure all of the welding and heavy fab work is done before I get the car back; Glenn and Mitch have done a pretty good job of keeping me on the right track with the fab work.

In regards to engine breathers, am I correct in assuming that I CANNOT weld a new fitting in place of the factory breather fitting, and I CANNOT add a breather fitting to the driver's side valve cover?

I've looked at cars at events, a bunch just run factory setup untouched, some have a can, etc. If I need to do something, my current thought is to plug the hole in the side of the TB, and have a hose from the trans breather and the hose from the valve cover(s) run into a simple vented catch can. I'd mount it up high, far forward, and run as much hose as possible for drain back.

Also, sanity check here on seat mounting:

15.16.2 Seat Mounting
The seat should be mounted to a steel floor pan with reinforcements. A reinforcement
structure should be fabricated with a minimum thickness of 0.090” for those vehicles
without a steel floor pan. The reinforcement structure should be mounted to (or within)
the steel frame / chassis / cage members.

This means I CAN run tubes from the bottom door bar to the trans tunnel if needed?

Al Fernandez
04-30-2012, 10:06 PM
Good to see you again this weekend Pranav. Check out CMC rule 7.6.1 regarding seat mount reinforcement (which supercedes CCR 15.16.2). Yes, you can run a tube from the bottom door bar under the seat to the trans tunnel.

Good question about drilling a hole in the driver's side valve cover. You can always run two passenger side valve covers ;) This might be a good thing for clarification in next year's rules as it isnt blatantly clear that you can add a vent to the other side.

Pranav
05-01-2012, 10:08 AM
Yeah, my first route would be to run two passenger side covers and delete/blockoff the oil filler neck, I just so happen to have two. I'll just leave the driver's side alone for now, the rest of the field seems to be fine without anything there so I shouldn't have to mess with it either...

David Love AI27
05-01-2012, 05:32 PM
Thanks, right now I'm making sure all of the welding and heavy fab work is done before I get the car back; Glenn and Mitch have done a pretty good job of keeping me on the right track with the fab work.

In regards to engine breathers, am I correct in assuming that I CANNOT weld a new fitting in place of the factory breather fitting, and I CANNOT add a breather fitting to the driver's side valve cover?

I've looked at cars at events, a bunch just run factory setup untouched, some have a can, etc. If I need to do something, my current thought is to plug the hole in the side of the TB, and have a hose from the trans breather and the hose from the valve cover(s) run into a simple vented catch can. I'd mount it up high, far forward, and run as much hose as possible for drain back.

Also, sanity check here on seat mounting:

15.16.2 Seat Mounting
The seat should be mounted to a steel floor pan with reinforcements. A reinforcement
structure should be fabricated with a minimum thickness of 0.090” for those vehicles
without a steel floor pan. The reinforcement structure should be mounted to (or within)
the steel frame / chassis / cage members.

This means I CAN run tubes from the bottom door bar to the trans tunnel if needed?

Drivers seat should face the rear of the car...

and Don't worry about Dave, he's a little paranoid right now.... there are pleanty of other orange cars to rub on

Pranav
05-01-2012, 09:46 PM
I had thought about keeping the car black, and running wheels and numbers in Chevy Orange :)

Alien
05-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Cool! A black 4th gen Camaro... just like Glenns... and Bryans... and Mikes...

mitchntx
05-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Pranav, I don't "enjoy" the benefits of facebook.
But I hear its a first class build.

Good to know the car went to a good home.

Pranav
05-03-2012, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the kind words, I'm most definitely glad I was able to buy it from ya! The real challenge will be figuring out how to drive it fast and clean....

Hmm, I made that album public so anyone not on FB could view it. The link didn't work?

David Love AI27
05-04-2012, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the kind words, I'm most definitely glad I was able to buy it from ya! The real challenge will be figuring out how to drive it fast and clean....

Hmm, I made that album public so anyone not on FB could view it. The link didn't work?

Fast AND Clean... You will never make it in CMC... Just paint it orange and have fun...