PDA

View Full Version : Toyo Source?

y5e06
05-05-2012, 04:40 PM
I am hesitant to admit this in such a public forum, but I haven't bought new Toyo's since 2008. The last three sets I've consumed all came used from a deep dark back corner of #13's shed. The last two sets had mid '07 date codes. So, to be ready I believe I shall pickup a set of 275/17's, my first..
Is Phil's Tire Service the best place to go?

I used my last ear marked tire cash on an AR10 TNF, so I need to buy soon before I get distracted again.

jdlingle
05-05-2012, 05:10 PM
I've only bought once but Phils treated me well. Got them shipped out really quick.

GlennCMC70
05-05-2012, 05:28 PM
I like Toyo's only in Arizona.

mitchntx
05-05-2012, 05:35 PM
Last few sets I purchased was through John George

ShadowBolt
05-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Last few sets I purchased was through John George

Me too. John has better prices than Phill's and the service is top notch!

JJ

michaelmosty
05-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Phils seems like the most expensive in the nation, for tire pricing and shipping.
I use Rodney at Appalachian Race tire. I get mine 5/32 but he can also shave them "thick 4/32" and "thin 4/32".

y5e06
05-05-2012, 06:08 PM
ah, i'll check out:
JGeorge, does he ship or do you guys only pick up? linky linky?
Arizona? who in AZ?
Appalachian

GlennCMC70
05-05-2012, 08:41 PM
I like Toyo's only in Arizona.

My bad..... Toyo's Only. Thats the name of the place. My wife always orders them, so I don't have contact info.

Found it.
http://www.superpages.com/bp/Phoenix-AZ/Toyos-ONLY-L0506727883.htm

ShadowBolt
05-05-2012, 08:49 PM
ah, i'll check out:
Arizona? who in AZ?
Appalachian

http://www.chicane23.com/

John ships my tires to my shop.

JJ

BryanL
05-05-2012, 08:50 PM
ah, i'll check out:
Arizona? who in AZ?
Appalachian
Shipped directly to you. I get mine from him as well and will continue.

You will definitely be quicker too

BlueFirePony
05-06-2012, 12:22 AM
I am hesitant to admit this in such a public forum, but I haven't bought new Toyo's since 2008.
Those would be newer than the unobtanium set I bought last year for oodles of $ and newer than anything I have left.
For what it's worth, Toyo's only was the ONLY company that shed any light on the shortage last year when a couple of us guinea pigs were searching for tires.
To me that meant they had an active relationship with Toyo vs what everyone else had (including NASA I might add).
They were very up front, very helpful and assuming I ever buy a Toyo tire again, they will be my first call.

Al Fernandez
05-06-2012, 09:44 AM
I've used Appalachian and been very happy with their service. You know Tommy Schlender up in RMR is also a Toyo dealer so you can probably arrange tires to be brought to Hallett and save shipping entirely.

Wade
05-07-2012, 08:07 AM
I have ordered the last three times from TiresDirect.net. They are consistently cheaper than ToyosOnly or Appalachian Race Tire, the only two other places I got quotes from last month. They do a good job shaving the tires as well.

AllZWay
05-07-2012, 08:55 AM
I use Toyo's Only...but they have changed their name to Track Fast Motorsports. I have used Phil's a few times in a pinch, but his shipping is killer.

Bryan Shackelford
Track Fast Motorsport
(602)252-3301 Shop
(602)252-3319 Fax

kbrewmr2
05-07-2012, 10:48 AM
the new trackside service people for TX are supposed to be a Toyo dealer (by now, or very soon from what they told me) so shop them as well. :)

BryanL
05-09-2012, 09:46 AM
So has anyone ever run them as full treads? Just curious if it really makes that much of a difference? I'm sure it does if you are a trophy girl looking for an extra tenth? I'm just thinking that it may not be worth it to shave them and spend an extra 80 bucks to get half the life out of them?
Any thoughts/experience.

y5e06
05-09-2012, 09:57 AM
Chicane23 - updated:
- $1051 shaved & shipped to me, including tax. JG said tax will be eliminated in a few months w/ a biz move. so looks to be very competitive
Appalachian tire - $240 shaved/each + shipping. emailed. http://www.racetire.com/products/toyo_ra-1.htm
- $10 shipping/tire. pretty good there.
- 15-May availability to ship. Shaved upon order.
- $1000 total
Tommy S from CO- IM'ed
Tiresdirect.com - listed on their web. cheap! but not shaved. see brians Q above. http://www.tiresdirect.net/TOYO_Proxes_RA1_275_40ZR17_P2266.cfm
-$200 x 4 + shipping? unknown shave
Trackfast (toyo only) - updated:
- $215 + $20 shave + $18 freight to a biz. unknown if residential shipping cost is much diff.
- $1012 total.
Tirerack - Now carries Toyos!
- $1016 shaved & shipped

waiting on prices & availability responses.

Casey_SS
05-09-2012, 10:28 AM
So has anyone ever run them as full treads? Just curious if it really makes that much of a difference? I'm sure it does if you are a trophy girl looking for an extra tenth? I'm just thinking that it may not be worth it to shave them and spend an extra 80 bucks to get half the life out of them?
Any thoughts/experience.

Yes, I've run full tread Toyos (once) and yes, it's a big difference. They felt like crap. Really squirmy and don't have much grip. I didn't do any serious testing but I would guess the difference at close to a full second. It's definitely more than a tenth or two...

AllZWay
05-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Looks like from my last TrackFast motorsports / Toyos Only invoice I was charged the following.

Tire: $215 each
Shaving: $20 each
Shipping: $18 each.

Looks like I might could save a little from Applachian next time.

GlennCMC70
05-09-2012, 06:28 PM
Couple things to add.
John Goerge is a fellow Tx AI racer. Good guy and I've have been very happy dealing w/ him.
Fast Track suported CMC at Nats at Miller. Did a ton of dismounts and remounts for CMC tech - for free.
Phil's also provided great trackside service at Mid Ohio.
I would pick those who have given back to the sport. Fellow racers are top picks as well Tommy and JG fit hat bill.

David Love AI27
05-09-2012, 09:07 PM
Any thoughts/experience.

Yes... you would have better luck with 888s... and once you make a lap on fulls you can't find anyone to shave them...

BryanL
05-10-2012, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the info-I'm a little surprised. I assumed the full treads would be a little off from the start but not that bad and once they got down to 4/32's they would be about the same as one that is shaved. My logic was get a full tread to use for practice to wear down till they were good thin to wins. What I don't know is how the number of heat cycles affect the tire.

Casey_SS
05-10-2012, 11:02 AM
BL - using full treads for Friday practice is a reasonable approach IMO as long as you go easy on them. They overheat much easier at full tread and if abused, they'll irreversibly have less grip and shorter life than if you just started at 5/32 to begin with. My earlier comments assumed you meant using full treads for qualifying and race sessions, which I think would slow you down more than you'd like and be much harder to "take care of" in the heat of battle. Expect 8-12 sessions of 8/10's driving to wear them down enough for racing. More for qualifying if you're trying to grid as high as possible.

OTOH, if you view qualifying as just more practice (nothing wrong with that)...I say screw it...just run whatever you've got and have fun. It's easy to take this stuff too seriously sometimes - all the little details do make a difference but you have to balance the level of effort and $$ you put in vs. the fun you get out of it.

marshall_mosty
05-15-2012, 03:08 AM
I agree with Casey's last point. Unless you are seriously a top 5 finisher every time to put you on the podeum 80% of the time, I wouldn't worry much about tires, except how to get the lowest cost of use... (just stay away from 888's. They actually make your car worth less and suck money from the rest of the car since they are so hard to drive)...

cjlmlml
05-15-2012, 12:25 PM
Morgan,

http://aicmctexas.com/main/showthread.php?4255-2-Toyo-RA-1-275-40-17-Full-Tread

These are still available

Rsmith350
05-15-2012, 01:29 PM
We now have a links and resources section of the site, I will update the main post as people suggest links, Let me know if I missed some. I need help on some of these. Especially the Ford section

http://www.aicmctexas.com/main/forumdisplay.php?19-Resources

y5e06
05-15-2012, 03:36 PM
tirerack now carries shaved toyos.
For what its worth, I've already told JG I was ordering from him anyway. support the local guys.

Tires- JG (ex AI)
Brakes - Donovan (AI)
paint rubs & tire donuts- Randy english CMC

smitty328
05-16-2012, 02:25 PM
BL - Found this on the NASA forums.

Red Tornado wrote:
and mount up some full tread toyo RA1 tires and practice away.

I wouldn't run full tread Toyos in the dry. Pushing them full tilt will blister them pretty quick. We have a set from Brainerd last year that boiled when we guessed wrong on the setup and the track dried in 3 laps.

j

AI- CR Fox Mustang GT #76
AI- CR S197 Mustang GT #75- 2011 MW AI Champ

GlennCMC70
05-16-2012, 08:53 PM
If the track dried in 3 laps, they should have never taken the slicks off. Full treads are for rains and only w/ LOTS of standing water. If there is not standing water - slicks/shaved all the way.

HoustonNW
05-17-2012, 02:37 PM
Morgan,

http://aicmctexas.com/main/showthread.php?4255-2-Toyo-RA-1-275-40-17-Full-Tread

These are still available

I need a set of drys for Hallett. I thought I would buy the 2 from you, 2-3 new ones from Chicane23 and have them all shaved. Chicane's tire shaver will not take even unused tires for shaving. I've never heard of that.

y5e06
05-17-2012, 03:55 PM
I need a set of drys for Hallett. I thought I would buy the 2 from you, 2-3 new ones from Chicane23 and have them all shaved. Chicane's tire shaver will not take even unused tires for shaving. I've never heard of that.

they can't guarantee the condition of tires originally outside of their control, i.e. dirt, rocks, contamination etc which would really screw up their tool & blades.

philstireservice
05-18-2012, 07:04 PM
We shave used tires. Granted they must be clean, but we do it.....and most come out very good. But that depends on the operator...:)

HoustonNW
05-31-2012, 03:45 PM
I took the easy way out and ordered from Tire Rack. I am not impressed with the shaving, they seem to have cut the corner of the tire off trying to follow the contour of the original thread. Do these look a little thin about 1/2" in from the very edge?

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z18/wstehle/photo-1.jpg

David Love AI27
05-31-2012, 04:45 PM
I took the easy way out and ordered from Tire Rack. I am not impressed with the shaving, they seem to have cut the corner of the tire off trying to follow the contour of the original thread. Do these look a little thin about 1/2" in from the very edge?

Yes Wayne... they do follow the contour... the shoulders are fairly thick to beginwith

michaelmosty
05-31-2012, 04:45 PM

Dang, those look pretty thin all over!!!

y5e06
05-31-2012, 04:52 PM
I got mine last week from JG (drop shipped from the supplier). the shave job looks great! I'm quite happy with mine. They did them at 5/32 as per request with no issues.
First time in a decade I had tires show up in BOXES.
go local.

Alien
05-31-2012, 09:54 PM
Got mine from JG last week too. Very happy as well. Only needed/ordered one tire for now, will get the other three from him after I get my 2012 Championship Toyo bucks. :-D

I've got mine from Boudy, JG, Appalachian Tire, Phil's, Parker (Tommy S) x2, and now back to JG. Gotta spread out the love.

BryanL
05-31-2012, 10:18 PM
Ordered mine from JG on Monday or Tuesday and the showed up Friday and look great. It will be a pity for the 55 to be in my rear view except to get passed on the inverts.

ShadowBolt
06-01-2012, 07:31 AM
Ordered mine from JG on Monday or Tuesday and the showed up Friday and look great. It will be a pity for the 55 to be in my rear view except to get passed on the inverts.

Bring it big boy.

JJ

rleng1
06-01-2012, 08:49 PM
I'll just continue with Patterson's scuffs.

philstireservice
06-02-2012, 09:06 PM
Yes Wayne... they do follow the contour... the shoulders are fairly thick to beginwith

This not the way to shave a RA-1. First off you have to know what kind of vehicle you are shaving for, i.e, Miata or Mustangs, Camaro's E30's etc. This is the difference between someone who is shaving the tire and knowing the series, the car, and the tire, etc etc. or someone doing a 9-5 job.......

wastntim
06-04-2012, 10:59 AM
I have ordered the last three times from TiresDirect.net. They are consistently cheaper than ToyosOnly or Appalachian Race Tire, the only two other places I got quotes from last month. They do a good job shaving the tires as well.

Tiresdirect.net / Cassidy Tire has sponsored my CMC car for the last three years. Most of the local CMC guys as well as many of the other TOYO Spec drivers have begun purchasing their tires from them. I believe they are one of the biggest TOYO dealers in the country. They specifically had their tire shaver learn how to shave from Vilven. Because of the volume of tires they sell, their prices are some of the lowest on the market. They ship and also are authorized to accept TOYO Bucks. Plus, if I am headed to the track, I will always deliver tires and save you some shipping costs. Anyone interested in tires call my brother-in-law Bill at 312-543-6328.

Please be sure to mention me. I am trying to get some perks worked out from them for CMC. The more tires I can point out that were bought, the better the argument I have for them.

Robert Salus
#24 Camaro Mustang Challenge - NASA Midwest

David Love AI27
06-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Tiresdirect.net / Cassidy Tire has sponsored my CMC car for the last three years. Most of the local CMC guys as well as many of the other TOYO Spec drivers have begun purchasing their tires from them. I believe they are one of the biggest TOYO dealers in the country. They specifically had their tire shaver learn how to shave from Vilven. Because of the volume of tires they sell, their prices are some of the lowest on the market. They ship and also are authorized to accept TOYO Bucks. Plus, if I am headed to the track, I will always deliver tires and save you some shipping costs. Anyone interested in tires call my brother-in-law Bill at 312-543-6328.

Please be sure to mention me. I am trying to get some perks worked out from them for CMC. The more tires I can point out that were bought, the better the argument I have for them.

Robert Salus

I have been dealing with Bill for two years now... pleased with the pricing and shave...

philstireservice
06-04-2012, 08:18 PM

Robert Salus

We are one of the largest tire Toyo Motorsports dealers in the country, but that is neither here nor there. The important thing is for the drivers to support the dealers that GO TO THE TRACK and service them first hand. Anybody can sell the tires from a central location, but take your show on the road and work with the drivers, that's what it's all about.

wastntim
06-05-2012, 01:36 PM
We are one of the largest tire Toyo Motorsports dealers in the country, but that is neither here nor there. The important thing is for the drivers to support the dealers that GO TO THE TRACK and service them first hand. Anybody can sell the tires from a central location, but take your show on the road and work with the drivers, that's what it's all about.

I was not trying to cause any type of conflict. I was simply letting people know of a source for quality shaved tires that can accept their TOYO bucks. If the local guys can accept TOYO bucks and can provide the same quality shaving and service at a comparable price, then I would think racer's would support the vendors that support them.

BryanL
06-05-2012, 02:35 PM
With all the talk about Toyo's. What is the best way to heat cycle a fresh set? How many laps should be run and how hard should they be run?

edrock96GT
06-05-2012, 02:43 PM
Put them on your daily driver, then drive up and down the nearest freeway for 15 or 20 minutes. Do a few launches from stoplights while you're out and about. :D

wastntim
06-05-2012, 03:18 PM
With all the talk about Toyo's. What is the best way to heat cycle a fresh set? How many laps should be run and how hard should they be run?

I would try to limit the time to about 15 minutes on track, then let them sit for 24 hours. Run them hard but don't try to rip them off the wheels.

michaelmosty
06-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Run them hard but don't try to rip them off the wheels.
That won't be a problem for Bryan!!

philstireservice
06-05-2012, 03:51 PM
I would try to limit the time to about 15 minutes on track, then let them sit for 24 hours. Run them hard but don't try to rip them off the wheels.

This is just about right. Get them close to operating temp (which you can do by and not ripping them off the wheels - I like that saying, I'm going to use that...:), but I'm going add one of the most important steps that no one does, much less is told. When you come in off the track, jack the car up or take the wheels off the car and cover them while they are hot. Use a heavy blanket, sleeping bag, thermal blanket, anything that will keep the heat in them and let them cool slowly (it takes about 3 hours), so they return to ambient temp. This is probably the most important step in heat cycling any tire ( well not ripping them off the wheels is very important to ...:).

edrock96GT
06-05-2012, 04:51 PM
Use a heavy blanket, sleeping bag, thermal blanket, anything that will keep the heat in them and let them cool slowly (it takes about 3 hours), so they return to ambient temp.

Our garages have the same effect this time of year...:)

BryanL
06-05-2012, 04:58 PM
This is just about right. Get them close to operating temp (which you can do by and not ripping them off the wheels - I like that saying, I'm going to use that...:), but I'm going add one of the most important steps that no one does, much less is told. When you come in off the track, jack the car up or take the wheels off the car and cover them while they are hot. Use a heavy blanket, sleeping bag, thermal blanket, anything that will keep the heat in them and let them cool slowly (it takes about 3 hours), so they return to ambient temp. This is probably the most important step in heat cycling any tire ( well not ripping them off the wheels is very important to ...:).

Interesting info.-never heard that before. I'll throw them in the hot sun and wrap them up with Mosty's sleeping bag.

BlueFirePony
06-07-2012, 12:46 PM
Our garages have the same effect this time of year.
Yeah, I used my tires to cool me down after coming off track at Hallett last year ;)

Crumpacker
06-07-2012, 01:26 PM
The last few posts had me LOL'ing :D

BryanL
06-13-2012, 08:57 AM
Ok-so I heat cycled the tires on Friday and let them cool down in the sun till I moved them to the shade. Then ran them the rest of the weekend. So now what? The car will be dormant for several months. What is the proper way to store them? I know out of the sun and heat but what pressure and assume off the car would be better, too?

ShadowBolt
06-13-2012, 10:05 AM
Ok-so I heat cycled the tires on Friday and let them cool down in the sun till I moved them to the shade. Then ran them the rest of the weekend. So now what? The car will be dormant for several months. What is the proper way to store them? I know out of the sun and heat but what pressure and assume off the car would be better, too?

BL,
I will give you the answer. Don't tell anyone else. Put 110 PSi in them and sit them in a tub of paint thinner. Take them out right before the next event let all but 11 psi out and put them on your trailer and pull them around the block a few times with the race car inside. I'm sure this will help.

Just looking out for ya.
JJ

philstireservice
06-13-2012, 10:40 PM

Who said to cool them down in the sun??....Nope - not a good idea. You have to cover them and put them in shade/trailer.........Race tires should always be out of the sun when not being used if possible. Think of what happens to your skin when you are in the sun all the time - same thing happens to a race tire.

Crumpacker
06-15-2012, 05:46 PM
Who said to cool them down in the sun??....Nope - not a good idea.

That's it BL, those tires are shot. Might as well give them to me and save yourself the disposal fee.

Daniel Allford
08-03-2012, 08:25 AM
We like Phils. (845) 647-7407
Good people who shave them correctly and deliver on time.
4) 275/40R70 ToyoRA1 shaved& shipped to Houston. $1032 (Aug 2012)
Dan #82

Adam Ginsberg
08-03-2012, 12:18 PM
I use Toyo's Only...but they have changed their name to Track Fast Motorsports. I have used Phil's a few times in a pinch, but his shipping is killer.

Bryan Shackelford
Track Fast Motorsport
(602)252-3301 Shop
(602)252-3319 Fax

FWIW, Bryan has done allot to support AI and CMC around US, not just for a few regions. At the MMP Nationals, be broken down, remounted and rebalanced 6-8 rims/tires for tech purposes, and refused to charge us a dime.

Additionally, if you have Toyo certs that are going to expire, contact him directly - he's helped countless racers with expiring certs.

He's the only Toyo dealer I'll do business with.

cjlmlml
08-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Or you could just by my damn tires http://aicmctexas.com/main/showthread.php?4255-2-Toyo-RA-1-275-40-17-Full-Tread