PDA

View Full Version : Failure analysis

Casey_SS
05-23-2012, 12:56 AM
I've been logging my various track-side issues since I started racing and was just looking at it to see what else I should prep for Hallett. Thought I'd share and see if anyone wants to add to the list.

Some of the issues were just me being lazy but others were pretty random and unexpected. In any case, these are the things I've had pop up over 2 years of racing a 4th gen. It's either worth sharing and helps somebody out or just proves I suck at car prep. :)

<colgroup><col><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
Event
Problem
Why?
Fix

TWS 2012
PS fluid spraying engine bay
?
Replace PS pump & hose

TWS 2012
Exhaust rattle
New mount broke
Design a better mount

TWS 2012
Low voltage readings
Dead cell in battery
Replace battery

Cresson 2012
Camera didn't record R4
Can't see the light
Remote light for camera

Cresson 2012
AIR tube on left header broke
Thermal fatigue + vibration
Welded patch over hole

Houston 2012
Exhaust rattle
Tweaked mount hopping curb
Replace mount & don't hop curbs

Houston 2012
Opti rotor let go
Shitty design - plastic rivets
Replaced w/ MSD - uses screws

TWS Nov. 2011
Lower radiator hose popped off
Clamp loosened up
Tightened clamp

TWS Nov. 2011
Exhaust mount broke
Shitty weld on bracket
Replace w/ steel mount / good weld

ECR 2011
Torque arm mount flew off
Upper bolt loosened up
More loctite / inspect more often

ECR 2011
Rear diff puked fluid
?
Long looped hose on diff vent

Hallett 2011
Right side hub sheared off
Too much play / cheap O'Reilly's hub
Replace more often w/ Timkin hubs

Hallett 2011
Fuel pump cutting out
Bad ground in factory harness?
Direct-wired pump to disti block

Hallett 2011
Water temp too hot
Stock radiator on a hot day
Radiator upgrade

TWS Apr. 2011
Posi case broke
Axle hop
Rebuild rearend, stiffer rear springs

Houston 2011
Alternator
Reman alternator + 6300 rpm
4" pulley

ECR 2010
Rough shifting tranny
Clutch fluid low
Check more often

TWS 2010
PS pump blew up
Heat + 6500 rpm
Turn One pump, PS cooler, drop shift point

</tbody>

rleng1
05-23-2012, 09:33 AM
Thanks Casey. have replaced alternator, but will replace battery as well.

Al Fernandez
05-23-2012, 09:03 PM
Nut, bolt, and fluid check is regular maintenance if you want to avoid breaking. Put together a list of things to check, each car is different.

Casey_SS
05-23-2012, 09:31 PM
Umm...yeah. You should see the spreadsheet of doom I use to inspect and prep the car for every race. This is all the crap that was perfectly fine at the house and then failed at the track. Usually on Sunday.

TJ Bain
05-23-2012, 10:54 PM
It's an AI car, they love to break stuff.

Wait until you break a 9" center section, alternator fans fly apart then the case cracks in 5 pieces while you're leading, trans cross member bolts fall out while you're running 3rd at Nationals, your master cylinder starts leaking from the reservoir gaskets 30 minutes before the National Championship race, you lose a K-member bolt, water pump bolts back out, your freshly re-valved Konis break the adjusters off after one weekend, your 4-piston calipers wear the bores funny at the end of travel and you have to jam in another half used set of pads because you don't have a new set, and that's just the stuff I can remember off the top of my head in the last two years!

wastntim
06-04-2012, 11:38 AM
I refuse to put together a list like this as it would be far too depressing. I think if I saw all the stuff that has failed in the last three years, I would have to face how much money and time I've spent keeping my car together. Seeing it in writing would be just too overwhelming.

David Love AI27
06-04-2012, 03:48 PM
I refuse to put together a list like this as it would be far too depressing. I think if I saw all the stuff that has failed in the last three years, I would have to face how much money and time I've spent keeping my car together. Seeing it in writing would be just too overwhelming.

Ditto... not enough time in the day to make that list, especially since I was running both a race car and track car for a year and then ran two race cars for a year...

cobra132
06-04-2012, 04:53 PM
No oil pump failures, cracked blocks, trashed heads, come on, what kind of list is that??? FMR

Casey_SS
06-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Don't jinx me Frank...with all the catastrophic failures in AI this year, I already feel like that guy in Dead Man Walking.