PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on a 1998 Cobra

blk96gt
06-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Found a 1998 Cobra through a friend. Car is a long ways off from being a CMC/AI car, but it's a really clean car. Car has 82,000 miles and the engine is stock other then a cold air intake. I'm not sure how many of the suspension mods can be moved over to CMC either. Even if I just used it for an HPDE car I think it would do pretty well. He wants $9,000 for it, which I think is a little high. Maybe some of you guys could tell me what you think. Here is the list of mods.

ENGINE
STEEDA Ultra Cool Aluminum Radiator
CANTON 7qt Road Race Oil Pan
PROTHANE Urethane Motor Mounts
DR. GAS Side Exit Exhaust (Eleanor)

TRANSMISSION
FMS 03 Clutch W/Aluminum Flywheel
MGW Shifter w/Cobra Shifter Knob
MM Clutch Pedal Height, Quad and Firewall Adjuster

CHASSIS
FMS Strut Tower Brace
KB Double Cross Super Subframe Connectors W/Extreme Matrix Brace and Jacking Rails
KB Rear Shock Tower Brace

BRAKES
BREMBO Front Calipers
HAWK Plus Front & Rear Brake Pads
RUSSELL Front Braided Brake Lines
RPW Front Brake Cooling Ducts
SPEED BLEEDERS Front & Rear

FRONT SUSPENSION
MM Coil-Over
BILSTEIN Struts Race Valved
HYPERCOIL Springs 400 LB/IN Front
STEEDA 35 mm Tubular Front Swaybar
MM Caster/Camber Plates
MM Lower Control Arms Forward Offset W/Delrin Bushings
MM Adjustable Tie Rod Ends
Urethane Steering Rack Bushings

REAR SUSPENSION
MM Coil-Over
BILSTEIN Shocks Race Valved
HYPERCOIL Springs 275 LB/IN Rear
MM Lower Control Arms W/3-Piece Urethane Bushings & Teflon-lined Spherical Bearings
MM Torque-Arm, Panhard Bar, Adjustable Swaybar
ENERGY Bump-Stop Bushing

INTERIOR
COBRA Daytona Sport Seats
AUTOPOWER Road Race Roll Bar
CROW Harness Belts
YMR Rear Seat Delete Kit
AUTOMETER Gauges
TAYLOR Battery Relocate

Exterior
Street / FMS 95 Cobra R 17X9 W/NITTO 555 255/45-17 front and 285/40-17 Rear
Track / AFS Replica 2000 Cobra R 17x9 W/NITTO RII 275/40-17
ARP Wheel Studs
ABC Front Chin Spoiler
SALEEN S281 Rear Wing
PRO-FIT Linear Fuel Door
LRS Ultra Clear Headlights W/Ultra Clear Diamond Sidemarkers

Wade
06-04-2012, 04:34 PM
I think there is a '95 Cobra for sale up north that is the same price and is complete with log-book. This car that you are posting has many nice parts, but many of them are not CMC legal. Up to you whether or not you want to try to re-sell them to get some money back, or not pay for them in the first place. My experience with the Autopower cages is that they fit VERY poorly as they are often designed to keep the doors/door panels and dash 100% intact. In my opinion, you want the door bars out much wider and a dash bar for strength. There are lots of pros to the car, but lots of question marks too. Again, just a personal thing, but I'd stay away from 4.6 motors. Too much complexity for little to no weight savings on the front of the car. NEED PICS!

blk96gt
06-04-2012, 04:48 PM
I had the same thoughts as well, but wasn't sure how much value the mods added to the car. It's been a while since I've messed with Mustangs. Here's some pics.

Crumpacker
06-04-2012, 05:35 PM
Everything Wade said, especially the part about bringing back down to spec. Price seems high, even with all those goodies.

Plus that's WAY too nice to be a CMC car... Wirtz may disagree.

jdlingle
06-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Gotta agree that it would be too much work to bring the suspension back to CMC spec. Nice looking car though. Shop around and you'll be able to get a nice CMC car for that same money. (Now if I only I had been smart enough to take my own advice I'd be headed to Hallett.) :)

blk96gt
06-04-2012, 06:49 PM
http://www.camaromustangchallenge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4011

This car seems to be pretty well built, but is more expensive than most of the CMC cars I've seen. Anyone have any first hand knowledge of this car? Any opinions?

Al Fernandez
06-04-2012, 07:15 PM
No personal experience with that car, but I've heard from reputable sources in Ca that its very nice, built well, etc. Its also very expensive!

cobra132
06-04-2012, 08:29 PM
That is my exact car. My 96 may have looked even better right before I gutted it and converted it into what it is now. Mine only had 28k miles and was owned by an 80 year old man. Its a great car but if you are going to run CMC I would let it pass. This one is set up for AI with a proper cage. FMR

Adam Ginsberg
06-04-2012, 11:20 PM

This car seems to be pretty well built, but is more expensive than most of the CMC cars I've seen. Anyone have any first hand knowledge of this car? Any opinions?

I've raced against this car, as well as raced this car. I also know the shop that built it.

Yes, it's expensive. It only needs the front bumper cover replaced with a stock GT cover (one of the most asinine, ridiculous, stupid f'n rule changes - ever), and, possibly, a new set of belts (they are likely outdated). Completely fresh motor, new StopTechs, and a host of goodies.

If you want more information, feel free to contact me offline.

edrock96GT
06-05-2012, 11:58 AM
What Frank said. That's about how my GT was set up right before I moved to AI. I even had the same cage (it definitely needs to go, bolts to the floorpan and will punch straight through if you land on it hard enough). As for the motor, it's complex if you haven't worked with them much, and they are heavy. The 4V with an aluminum block is only 9lbs lighter that a 2V with an iron block.

That would be a better AI car than trying to downgrade it for CMC. The 4V will make the power if you don't mind the weight.

TJ Bain
06-09-2012, 09:03 PM

Built by Mid Coast Performance and they were renting it in the MW and GL. The fabricator who built it (Kurt Borton) is about as much of a weight nazi as I am. Robb Brent and Rusty Ferguson drove it for a while, IIRC. I think the last time I saw it was 2008.

blk96gt
06-14-2012, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the opinions everyone. I think that 2004 is going to be a bit much for me to spend up front though.

I did find another car however. It doesn't have a proper roll cage, but at this point it would probably be at least another year before I could start racing in CMC anyways. How much of this would transfer over to CMC? Obviously it would need a proper cage, but not sure about what else it would need. I'm sorry I keep posting these questions, but I'm just getting into this and still trying to learn what mods are OK and which aren't. One negative on this car is it's a 4.6 2v, but the horsepower seems to be about where it should be. Any opinions?

http://www.racingjunk.com/Other/2629233/1998-Mustang-GT-Track-Day-car-well-sorted.html

Fbody383
06-14-2012, 05:07 PM
but I'm just getting into this and still trying to learn what mods are OK and which aren't.No good: lexan quarter windows, tuning, missing dash, wheels may be too light, potential that front bumper lightening is an issue.

Remember that unless the rules say you can, you probably CAN NOT. Just sit down and re-read the rules AND, if you can, attend a bunch of events and take pictures of the cars. There are a couple of us around the Houston area also if you want to get eyes on a car.

michaelmosty
06-14-2012, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the opinions everyone. I think that 2004 is going to be a bit much for me to spend up front though.

I did find another car however. It doesn't have a proper roll cage, but at this point it would probably be at least another year before I could start racing in CMC anyways. How much of this would transfer over to CMC? Obviously it would need a proper cage, but not sure about what else it would need. I'm sorry I keep posting these questions, but I'm just getting into this and still trying to learn what mods are OK and which aren't. One negative on this car is it's a 4.6 2v, but the horsepower seems to be about where it should be. Any opinions?

http://www.racingjunk.com/Other/2629233/1998-Mustang-GT-Track-Day-car-well-sorted.html

There is a lot you would need to do to this one to be CMC legal but it depends how much you want to do swapping out parts.
Here is a list in addition to Dave's of what is not CMC legal:
cold air intake, throttle body, steeda 5-link, adjustable rear sway bar, MM k-member, forward offset front control arms, front and rear coilovers, cobra R hood.
Also the Moroso wheel studs have a history of breaking and I am not a fan of the T2 rear end or T45 trans.
IMO, $7500 seems like a little too much for all that would need to be done but if you like flipping parts you might be able to make a few bucks.

blk96gt
06-14-2012, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the help. I read the rules again and have a better understanding of what is allowed and what's not. Will try to read those before I ask any more questions.

Fbody383
06-15-2012, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the help. I read the rules again and have a better understanding of what is allowed and what's not. Will try to read those before I ask any more questions.Don't stop asking questions - if you don't know, you don't know.

AND... get eyes on, and pictures of some current cars. Always like having new folks join the group... somebody else to pass on inverst. :cool:

blk96gt
08-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Anybody know anything about this car or know anyone in the area who may know?
http://www.camaromustangchallenge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4171
Talked to him a bit. Said it could use a new thermostat and bushings. Motor was freshened up last year and has 2 events on it since. He sent me some more pictures of the interior, body, and engine I could forward if someone wanted to look.

So, any opinions?

blk96gt
08-01-2012, 09:45 PM
Also, are there any specific questions I should be asking when talking to someone about one of these cars?

michaelmosty
08-01-2012, 10:13 PM
Feel free to send me any pics he sent and I'll be happy to take a look.
michaelmosty at hotmail dot com
Curious why he says it needs a new thermostat. Did he overheat it during a race? What bushings does he think needs to be replaced?
It sounds like a solid motor (assuming no damage from "possible" overheat), trans, and rear end. I'd get suspension specifics regarding bushings, control arms, ph bar, bumpsteer kit, springs, etc.
Good quality cage?
Also, not sure of the quality on the Tokico shocks/struts.
Does the trans have a good 5th gear? (.82)? If not, that is about a $600 upgrade.
Does it have just a set of rain tires? Also, the Cobra R's are a very heavy wheel (about 25 lbs).
What other spares does it come with?

Not sure on the price, I guess it depends on how much additional you would be looking to spend to get it in the top condition you want. Everyone has their own interpretation of "fully prepped, race ready".

rleng1
08-02-2012, 01:10 PM
Don't stop asking questions - if you don't know, you don't know.

AND... get eyes on, and pictures of some current cars. Always like having new folks join the group... somebody else to pass on inverst. :cool:

Francis, how can you pass anyone on the inverts, if you are starting on the front row?

Fbody383
08-02-2012, 02:56 PM
Francis, how can you pass anyone on the inverts, if you are starting on the front row?Same way it took you 2 months to come up with that... looking forward to getting to another race.

Enough about me... help this man find a good deal on a race car.

blk96gt
08-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Got some more info about the car today. Thoughts?

The motor was completely disassembled and inspected, I was going to re ring it and unstall new barrings, but it didn't need it. I installed a new oil pump pick up along with the canton road race pan. I installed a new clutch and pressure plate along with a real cobra flywheel, (cobras are lighter than gt's) i installed a new starter, and a new water pump. I removed all the valves, inspected and cleaned them all, installed new stem seals and new comp cam beehive springs, a bit stiffer than stock for the e303 cam, which was new. It has the 1.7 cobra crane cams rocker arms which were reused. New bbk equal length headers were installed as well. The car makes 264, 294 with that combo. The trans was gone through by liberty transmission, which supply all of the cobra jet transmissions to ford. In other words, great trans, it does just have the over drive 5th in it. I wanted them to put in the racing 5th but they badically told me they forgot to, which pissed me off at the time, but I have never gotten into 5th. It has a detroit true track in the diff, with 3.55 ratio. Im not sure about the axles themselves I believe they are just stock gt axles. It has steeda springs, not exaclty sure what the rates are but they work good. Just a touch of understeer which can be corrected by adding some spacers to the rear springs. I have been putting off doing the bushings on the car, it is driveable and raceable but it basically needs new bushings all the way around which is about $160 from maximum motorsports. It had a brand new fuel pump and surge tank that was installed in the fuel cell after I listed the car, that cost me another 500 bucks. It does have an AIM system now that was added on after I listed it, and those are going for 900 bucks, it does have a fuel pressure gauge in the AIM which is nice to have. I do not have a becon for the AIM, I was going to change it over to gps, But that was more expensive than i wanted it to be, plus usually more than one person uses AIM at the track so I would just pick up off their becon. The reason why I said a new thermostat should be installed was because she got up to about 210 at mid ohio, and I like to run cooler, usually when they get that hot the computer starts to pull timing. So I wanted to change the thermostat so she runs a little bit cooler. It does have the stock electric fans, but I put them on a switch high and low speed, the new fuel pump is on a switch, I have a custom window defroster which we need up here because it rains a lot. There is no bump steer kit on the car, never felt like it was that bad, it has maximum motorsports or steeda caster camber adjusters I honestly cant remember which. 40 series flow masters, custom shifter, older sparco seat so it has a seat back brace, wide angle mirror, bigger aluminum custom radiator, the speedo in the gauge cluster doesn't work because of the different trans, but the aim has a magnetic pickup on the right rear tire to get mph. It has a new right hand net and new window net from this year, the belts will have to be replaced next year or the year after, not sure on the rules. I no longer have extra front pads for the car, I ended up using them at mid ohio, the pads are new hawk dtc-70s in front and kfp golds in the rear, i do have an extra set of rear pads. I do have rains for the car, on wheels, I can throw in for another 500 bucks, if you would like them, they still have good life left on them, the tires on the car have at least 2 races left on them and the extra set of wheels and tires have maybe an open track day or two left. As far as the body, the front bumper has been cracked and fixed a few times, can't really tell where it had been, there is a few scuffs you can see in the pictures, on the left front fender and door, a "doughnut" basically, and some small dents on the left rear quarter and the bottom of the left rear tail light is broke. Other than that it is in good shape.

blk96gt
08-03-2012, 10:36 PM
Any of you guys know anything about this Fox? Says he's in Austin.
http://www.racingjunk.com/NASA-Camaro-Mustang-Challenge/2636839/1986-MUSTANG-COUPE-competetive-CMC-or-ot-tt.html
Are the Fox's really not as competitive? I know I've heard that at one point from somewhere, so I hadn't really been considering Fox's either.

BlueFirePony
08-03-2012, 10:45 PM
Any of you guys know anything about this Fox? Says he's in Austin.
http://www.racingjunk.com/NASA-Camaro-Mustang-Challenge/2636839/1986-MUSTANG-COUPE-competetive-CMC-or-ot-tt.html
Are the Fox's really not as competitive? I know I've heard that at one point from somewhere, so I hadn't really been considering Fox's either.
Are the Fox's not competitive...uhmmm....two words...Mosty and Mosty. All I got...anyone got a technical answer ;)

marshall_mosty
08-09-2012, 07:41 AM
For AI, a FOX can be competative due to the wide open rules. It can't get al long or as wide as a S197, but can hit on basically all the other marks. They key to a FOX is to not just buy a "kit" system, but to build your own kit based on your driving style, goals, etc... I have MM on one end and Griggs on the other with a bunch of "roundy round" stuff thrown in to make those parts "mine"...

I'll chat your ear off if you want to talk FOX's.

940-736-9043

blk96gt
08-15-2012, 07:24 PM
So it's not a Mustang, but for $4600 seems like a pretty decent deal.
http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=56265
Anybody know this guy?

Rsmith350
08-24-2012, 01:27 PM
Looks pretty well set up

blk96gt
08-24-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm actually planning to go up and take a look at Boudy's car tomorrow if I can ever get an address from him.
http://bciwireless.com/for-sale/cmc-6/