PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever use residual pressure valves in their brake lines...?

rpoz27
08-11-2012, 04:31 PM
So Misty's camaro is getting pad knock back in the rear again as the axles wear at the center diff pin. The axles then move in and out and cause the stock LS1 calipers and pads to knock back and get a long pedal. Thought I fixed the problem with new axles and getting away from the wilwoods which got rid of 90% of the issue, but the problem is back. So, since she has 3 channel ABS and only one line going to the rear axle, I am thinking of putting a 4 or 5lb residual pressure valve in the rear brake line to keep the pads lightly against the rear rotors. My question for those that have used them, if I go to push the piston back in while doing a rear pad job, does the residual valve "blow off" and allow me to press the piston back in without having to crack a line to bleed pressure?

If the consensus is no, I will likely install some stoptech "anti-knock back" springs in the stock LS1 rear calipers and see if that works.

I swear, I don't see how you camaro drivers deal with the crappy brakes and TERRIBLE front hubs. Mustangs are SO much better in this regard! ;)

Thanks

GlennCMC70
08-11-2012, 07:24 PM
I looked into doing this as well. Al informed me he already tried it and it didn't work.
Go the knockback spring route. I had this on my "to do" once I moved to 4 pots on the front.
Be sure you are using a high quality guide pin lube on the caliper pins. I use some 3000 degree permatex stuff. You must clean out the old stuff and install new w/ each set of pads at a minimum. The pins can also get bent, so look for that as well. The caliper should be able to float more than the axle.

Don't understand the trash talk about 4th gen's..... All the Ford guys rave about how perfect they are and have no issues. Perhaps your prep sucks. ;)

David Love AI27
08-12-2012, 10:49 AM
Perhaps your prep sucks. ;)

I can't believe I would defend either one of you knuckleheads on the forum, but since Matt is on double secret probation, I will say he has done outstanding work on the car. Fixing so many issues caused by lots of monkys who thought they knew something about race cars. The stress level between a true AI car and a AI lite car is huge. I had the honor of driving the car the other day and the work and prep is outstanding... If I can put down 1:57s first time out imagine what a real driver can do....

GlennCMC70
08-12-2012, 10:11 PM
I hope it was taken as a light hearted jab at recent threads and topics.

rpoz27
08-13-2012, 01:00 PM
that is exactly what it was Glenn. I was making fun of all the bellyaching lately most of which centers around average car prep and lack of driving practice. I say practice because it seems like seat time and driver devlopment might fix 90% of the problems.

David...to answer your question, Misty's car has a 51 in it. I ran a 54.11 in it this last event with blown front shocks and nittos that are 2 years old mostly just farting around with a very long brake pedal in 95 degree heat and the front end bouncing off the pavement constantly. On fresh hoosiers and a cooler track, it might even have a 50 in it after the spring/shock stuff I am about to work on. Car prep is where you find the missing time which will translate into better driver confidence and lower lap times.