View Full Version : ECR - Post Race Weekend Media!

GlennCMC70
10-08-2012, 11:55 AM
Lets see some of that great video! I know it is out there so get it posted.
I had a good time even though my car ran like crap most all weekend. Sorry for those who were behind me when it started having issues. I will need to spend some quality time sorting this one out. Combined w/ 2006 RA1's left over from an enduro years ago, and me being very rusty, it made for some interesting racing. Had some close calls (Thanks Wade!) and was on the receiving end of some heads-up driving.
I had some great battles w/ some of the new guys I haven't raced w/ much and some others who have really stepped up their game. The mid pack group is really having alot of fun these days.

Looks like the points race for the Top 3 will come down to the last event of the year at NOLA. Can't wait.

marshall_mosty
10-08-2012, 04:52 PM
I left my camera in the car at the shop, so it will be a while until I can post anything. When I do, it will be Mark Smith roasting his tires on the start of R1 and then a bunch of the back of Dave Kagen's car, sprinkled by the freight train of Mark Smith before he goes off into the gravel prior to the double yellow...

I had a great weekend, even though I spent 15 times more time under the car than in it... Initial thoughts on the transmission is that I have broken one (or more) of the slider keys on 3rd gear, this locking the transmission in gear. I will probably have it apart tomorrow to figure out what really went wrong. Hopefully it's just keys and maybe a syncro ring and I can get it back together for under $100... Finger's crossed.

I'd like to thank everyone who offered help (Michael, Wade, Casey, Frank, Jeremy). Our ability to "share" and pool resources is amazing. There isn't a better group of folks to race and paddock with.

I'd like to congradulate all our Rookies and Comp School guys that came out. Dave Kagen is a machine behind that Rehagen Grand-Am car... Wait till this guys gets on shaved tires, as all 4 wins this weekend were on full treads... Damn scary. Mark Smith broke the AI record on Saturday and then broke it again on Sunday... Dude, you need to slow down. Brian Cook's '70 Mustang was looking sporty until a blown head gasket took him out, but he's really close to finishing his 4 provisional races from the back and then he's up with the big boys! Mike Snavley was out shaking down his new AI ride in comp school. Kevin brought the "John Lingle" tribute car out for comp school as well...

Can't wait until NOLA!!

Also, I'm not aware of a single reported incident of contact for the entire weekend. Good job guys!! Maybe we really aren't the knuckle dragger's everone thinks we are. Well, maybe Glenn is... not quite sure. :)

BlueFirePony
10-08-2012, 05:02 PM
Congrats to Mark on crushing the AI record! Outstanding.
No video from me, because...well... I was not there...but I have a really interesting graphic from T&S during the enduro. Not sure if you can make it out (better image on FB), but after taking the lead, Frank clearly settled into a pace and matched the 2nd place Miata to the thousand of a second...identical 2:08:576...I was working under my wife's '68 during the enduro, surfacing every 15 minutes to check on the race...sux for the ending but hopefully everyone had fun! We won't make NOLA but once Kyri and I get the wife's car done, the son's car fixed, and other son's car fixed and the daughters car painted...we'll be back to working on BFP.

Storm Trooper
10-08-2012, 09:09 PM
HPED video is not too exciting lol
Congrats to Mark setting the bar high for all of us!
I want to thank all of you for the help and tweaking me. I was VERY nervous about this track.
The new motor is running great! I am looking forward to running with the group!
Iam excited about NOLA.
Can't wait!!!:cool:

rpoz27
10-08-2012, 10:10 PM
Congrats Mark Smith. That record stood for nearly 4 years. I do think the new RA1's are faster than what we ran on in 08 but hey it's progress. Funny thing is I set that record after returning from Nationals in 08.....guess going to Mid Ohio does good things for when you come home!

BlueFirePony
10-08-2012, 11:35 PM
Congrats Mark Smith. That record stood for nearly 4 years. I do think the new RA1's are faster than what we ran on in 08 but hey it's progress. Funny thing is I set that record after returning from Nationals in 08.....guess going to Mid Ohio does good things for when you come home!
I do think the new RA1s are faster but not as consistent or durable...but I think the real reason Mark CRUSHED that record is he's just better than you

:P

Fbody383
10-09-2012, 12:46 PM
39 and Friends had a great half weekend - the new motor ran well, and the car felt ok even with 1 1/8" of toe in... yes, I know how to fix it. Fought the brakes all day Saturday and in Race 1 decided a drive up the hill had a much better outcome than shooting across the track through the field.

I tried running scared from the front in Race 2 but got run down by the Show Ponies. Not hard to imagine since I think they were out braking me by 75-100 feet at nearly every corner. I should have know that when the GoPro didn't turn on Saturday morning that it was going to be a tough weekend.

I think I may be like Marshall and have a key hung up in the transmission that caused it to stick in 4th.

There were some really cool battles all over the track so hopefully you guys have some good vid.

Sean, post up your video and see if there are improvements in your line or braking points can be found.

Storm Trooper
10-09-2012, 10:12 PM
we will see if this works???

http://youtu.be/8OkrqS6Crus

marshall_mosty
10-09-2012, 10:17 PM
Pulled the tranny apart and found no broken bits. However the 3/4 slider had gone over-center on the main shaft and had exposed all three keys. Since they were over center, no amount of amazon force would get it in gear. I got it back centered and will call Astro in the morning. Maybe I just have my 3rd gear shifter stop too far out and I overshifted in my mad dash to catch Dave... Should put it back together tomorrow and be back in the car in a few weeks...

Crumpacker
10-10-2012, 11:29 AM
Pulled the tranny apart and found no broken bits. However the 3/4 slider had gone over-center on the main shaft and had exposed all three keys. Since they were over center, no amount of amazon force would get it in gear. I got it back centered and will call Astro in the morning. Maybe I just have my 3rd gear shifter stop too far out and I overshifted in my mad dash to catch Dave... Should put it back together tomorrow and be back in the car in a few weeks...

Let me know what Tony says, I've had similar issues with my trans.

smitty328
10-10-2012, 07:50 PM
Thanks everyone for all the congrats. :)

I think I actually set two records on Saturday. After the AI race, I went and raced with the Miatas, I think I set the record for slowest Miata. :oops:

Not so sure how long that record will last, Dave Kagen was sub 2:00 on full treads! He is fast!

Sorry I was such a snob last week. I was having issues with my reverse so I kept the car up the hill. I'll be in the middle of it at NOLA, AND make the meetings on time.

Here's me warming up my tires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHzjHMOjTx0&feature=youtu.be

smitty328
10-10-2012, 10:54 PM
I'm too lazy to edit out the boring parts.

R1 Sat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziWHn_Sf-mI&feature=youtu.be

kbrewmr2
10-11-2012, 11:19 AM
I assume you've got a shifter with postitive stops to prevent you from being able to move the lever too far, correct?

Bacook
10-11-2012, 12:07 PM
Here's a video of me chasing some CMC cars from the back of the field when the head gasket goes and the cooling system gets pressurized. Sorry to those guys who found the damp spot on the next lap. It was only water, but on a cool day it took some time to dry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmwuvoOUEWo

Crumpacker
10-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Here's a video of me chasing some CMC cars from the back of the field when the head gasket goes and the cooling system gets pressurized.

That was fun to watch.. until the head gasket part. :(

I do like the mini-track-map figure - I had a qual session that looked just like that - first lap I flew off into the mud (raining) and just drove it back to the pit space. Never completed the lap.

marshall_mosty
10-11-2012, 02:02 PM
I assume you've got a shifter with postitive stops to prevent you from being able to move the lever too far, correct?

Ken,
According to Astro, the shifter rails won't allow the overshift, so they still want me to pull it down and look for hairline cracks in the 3/4 shifter keys. Also, I'm going to check the 3/4 shifter fork for cracks. Looks like I get to completely tear this puppy down...

marshall_mosty
10-15-2012, 08:55 AM
Let me know what Tony says, I've had similar issues with my trans.

So I pulled the tranny down yesterday. No cracks on the shifter forks, but one of the 3/4 shifter keys was broken. Tony has a machined steel version to replace the stamped steel ones... I'm going to get a few sets for myself today...

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/c0.0.403.403/p403x403/541211_3256421068771_1754867749_n.jpg

marshall_mosty
11-03-2012, 07:31 PM
So I'm a month late to the party with my video...

https://vimeo.com/52765620