PDA

View Full Version : Ford 8.8 rear end 1995-2004

ShadowBolt
10-09-2012, 08:05 AM
We blew the rear end up on the 55 in the last race Sunday. Looks like the welding done at Hallett broke. Something has been wrong with this rear housing since Tony cambered it. I want to replace the housing and get a T2R or an Eaton like Matt runs. I don't have much time before NOLA. I assumed I could get a housing for $100.00 or so but all I'm finding on Craig's List and Ebay are complete assemblies at $350.00 to $500.00.

What is different about the 99-04 rear ends? Wider? Is the V6 rear housing the same as the V8?

JJ

Rob Liebbe
10-09-2012, 08:32 AM
Jerry,

The 95-04 axle housings are the same width, the track width increase was accomplished with longer axle shafts. I think the 95 and up rear axle housings are the same for both V-6 and V-8 but you may want to confirm that one as I'm only about 85.35% sure on that one.

cjlmlml
10-09-2012, 09:07 AM
I have a housing in my garage -$50, not sure what year it is , fox body

Wade
10-09-2012, 09:10 AM
What's the difference in the fox and '95+ rear ends? I know I run the longer SN95 axles in a fox rear end to get to SN95 width. Is that the same as 99+ width? Could you run a fox rear end in a '99+ with 99+ axles and a new diff?

If so, I have a spare housing for you Jerry.

ShadowBolt
10-09-2012, 09:31 AM
I don't know if this is correct but I found this.

Re: Factory Axle Widths

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 07:04:35 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Early Ranger rearends (1983 to 1992) have a driver side axle (the long side) that is the same length as a Fox body axle. That's the cheap way to do a 5 lug swap on a Fox, (two early Ranger driver side axles) but it gives reference to the overall width of the Ranger rear.

All these Ranger rears can be modified for disc brakes the same way you would a Fox.

'94-'98 Mustang has the same width housing as the Fox, but each axle is .75" wider outside of the housing, to fit the disc brake bracket.

'99-'04 Mustang housing grew .75" per side, total width flange to flange being 1.5" greater than the 1998 cars.

I know these are not actual measurements, but may be of use to some of you.

JJ

j3ffbrooks
10-09-2012, 09:41 AM
Jerry, that info is mostly correct.

Wade, I think you would be pushing the limits of the bearing surface on the longer axles and the shorter housing.

The 79-98 axle housings are the same width.

86-93 Mustang 8.8" - 29.188" axle length

94-98 the axles were .75" longer to account for the disc brakes but used the same housing.

94-98 Mustang 8.8" - 29.969" axle length

99-04 housings are are .75" wider on each side and the axles again were lengthened another .75".

99-04 Mustang 8.8" - 30.688" axle length

The actually track width in the 99-04 rear axle assembly is 1.5" on each side giving you approximately 3" increase over 79-93 assemblies.

I believe, even today, the V6 models use a 7.5" housing and the V8 models all use the 8.8".

Please correct me if I am wrong. I may be a hair off on the dimensions.

Jeff

Rob Liebbe
10-09-2012, 09:44 AM
Yeah, my memory is terrible. Jerry will indeed need 99-04 V8 housing and axles.

Wade
10-09-2012, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the clarification everyone. I thought that was the case but I wasn't sure.

ShadowBolt
10-09-2012, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the offers. I found one for $225.00 at a junkyard in Briggs.

JJ

RichardP
10-09-2012, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the offers. I found one for $225.00 at a junkyard in Briggs.

JJ

Just curious. Are you planning on putting camber into the new housing before installing it?

Richard P.

ShadowBolt
10-09-2012, 04:22 PM
Just curious. Are you planning on putting camber into the new housing before installing it?

Richard P.

Not a chance Richard. From what I could tell all of the bending Tony did ended up on one side of the diff.
If you can tell me how to do it correctly I would be willing to try it butt..........

JJ

RichardP
10-09-2012, 06:28 PM
Not a chance Richard. From what I could tell all of the bending Tony did ended up on one side of the diff.
If you can tell me how to do it correctly I would be willing to try it butt..........

JJ

Heating and cooling of the axle tubes in the correct locations with a torch. I have 3/4 of a degree on both sides of my housing without issue (more than
CMC allowable).

It kind of sounds like your axle was done mechanically with lots of force???

Richard P.

ShadowBolt
10-10-2012, 08:15 AM
Heating and cooling of the axle tubes in the correct locations with a torch. I have 3/4 of a degree on both sides of my housing without issue (more than
CMC allowable).

It kind of sounds like your axle was done mechanically with lots of force???

Richard P.

I have done a lot of reading on this subject and the big problem with trying to camber a rear end is the possibility of adding toe in or out. One way I read is to weld a bead on the top of the alxe tube.

JJ

ShadowBolt
10-15-2012, 07:59 PM
Still need a rear housing from a 99-04 gt. Drove to Briggs today. Wants $450.00.

JJ

ShadowBolt
10-15-2012, 08:03 PM
By the way, who runs a cambered rear housing in CMC? Richard I thought you were going to school us on this? I read today how Joe Gibbs Racing does it with Heat and ice.

JJ

Crumpacker
10-15-2012, 09:26 PM
No rear camber here. After see your 'cambered' housing end more than one race weekend early, mine will stay this way.

GlennCMC70
10-15-2012, 09:31 PM
On the "to do" list. Would love to be "schooled" on this from a "pro".

RichardP
10-15-2012, 10:23 PM
When you heat up metal, it expands. When you cool it, it shrinks to less than where it started. Heat up the top of the axle tube with a torch and then cool it off with a very wet rag. Measure camber and toe. Lather, rinse, repeat. A little toe in is ok. A little toe out is not. Moving the heat a little forward or backward on the tube will tweak the toe. If your're doing it for a CMC car, .5 deg camber isn't very much so sneak up on it.

Richard P.

GlennCMC70
10-16-2012, 06:49 AM
So do it in the car?
If not, then duplicating pinion angle is surely important. The axle should also be level when doing this - right? Obviously
Remove the oil?
Where onthe tube do you heat? Center point on the tube or closer to the center section?

RichardP
10-16-2012, 11:47 AM
So do it in the car?
If not, then duplicating pinion angle is surely important. The axle should also be level when doing this - right? Obviously
Remove the oil?
Where onthe tube do you heat? Center point on the tube or closer to the center section?

I did it out of the car with the axle sitting on the tires. I used a jack under the snout to set the pinion angle. Level is important to take accurate camber measurements. Having the oil out probably isn't a bad idea. I heated in the center of each axle tube.

I know other people that have done it in the car. That souned challenging and not all that safe.

Richard P.

ShadowBolt
10-17-2012, 07:38 AM
Pulled the rear end out after work yesterday. Not only is the weld broken from the housing but the housing is also broken. That damn cambering job Tony did has cost me plenty in track time and money. Cost me a whole Hallett weekend.

JJ

BryanL
10-17-2012, 11:48 AM
Pulled the rear end out after work yesterday. Not only is the weld broken from the housing but the housing is also broken. That damn cambering job Tony did has cost me plenty in track time and money. Cost me a whole Hallett weekend.

JJ
Yeah but just think how much faster you have been because of the cheater (cambered) rearend. I'll add that to my list.

Crumpacker
10-17-2012, 12:51 PM
I did it out of the car with the axle sitting on the tires. I used a jack under the snout to set the pinion angle. Level is important to take accurate camber measurements. Having the oil out probably isn't a bad idea. I heated in the center of each axle tube.

I know other people that have done it in the car. That souned challenging and not all that safe.

Richard P.

I did exactly what you said... and NAILED IT!

Thanks Richard!!

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/04/off-camber-vip2.jpg

ShadowBolt
10-17-2012, 03:06 PM
Yeah but just think how much faster you have been because of the cheater (cambered) rearend. I'll add that to my list.

It was only cambered on the left side so the advantage was only in right hand turns. Only a 50% item to add to your list.

Just picked up another housing form a salvage yard in S. Austin (1999 GT). New T2R on order. Got to get it all in for NOLA.

JJ

BryanL
10-17-2012, 03:14 PM
It was only cambered on the left side so the advantage was only in right hand turns. Only a 50% item to add to your list.

Just picked up another housing form a salvage yard in S. Austin (1999 GT). New T2R on order. Got to get it all in for NOLA.

JJ
Good luck. How much was it cambered and why would someone only do one side? My real question is does it make a difference? Did it turn right better than left?
Mosty-make sure you add the availability of good T2R's to your your list of mustang advantages.

michaelmosty
10-17-2012, 03:33 PM
Gosh, you can't even make your own list? Or do you just not know what to put on it?

RichardP
10-17-2012, 09:07 PM
Good luck. How much was it cambered and why would someone only do one side?

Everything points to someone not knowing what they were doing and trying to add camber with physical force. Either that or it was never cambered intentionally but was rather in a wreck that broke the tube to housing attachment. The latter seems the most likely.

You aren't likely to see (or feel) any real performance difference for cambering a rear end within the CMC limits. But, lots of little things do add up to a performance benefit. Rear camber would be just one of those little things. For perspective, it's a lot less work than moving the rear axle 1" forward on an AI car.

Richard P.

ShadowBolt
10-18-2012, 08:21 AM
Everything points to someone not knowing what they were doing and trying to add camber with physical force. Either that or it was never cambered intentionally but was rather in a wreck that broke the tube to housing attachment. The latter seems the most likely.

You aren't likely to see (or feel) any real performance difference for cambering a rear end within the CMC limits. But, lots of little things do add up to a performance benefit. Rear camber would be just one of those little things. For perspective, it's a lot less work than moving the rear axle 1" forward on an AI car.

Richard P.

I agree Tony did not know what he was doing. He told me how much work it was but how it was really worth it. They did use a press. When I had it out last time the right side did not have any camber in it and the axle pushed right in. On the left side I had to beat the axle in with a hammer.

JJ

Crumpacker
10-18-2012, 10:59 AM
It's a mystery why that rear end has given you so much trouble...

On the left side I had to beat the axle in with a hammer.

JJ

Oh

marshall_mosty
10-18-2012, 11:12 AM

Next enhancement... Cambered rear. :)

ShadowBolt
10-18-2012, 12:41 PM
It's a mystery why that rear end has given you so much trouble...

Oh

When you read about cambered rear ends they talk about all the extra pressure put on the axles and how you will have to replace them and the bearings often.

Certainly not worth it in my book.

JJ

ShadowBolt
10-18-2012, 12:42 PM
Next enhancement... Cambered rear. :)

Would that be a member enhancement?

JJ

ShadowBolt
10-19-2012, 04:24 PM
T2R came in but it's a 31 spline unit so I will have to spend more money for new axles now. This kind of $hit makes me crazy.

JJ

Storm Trooper
10-19-2012, 06:53 PM
T2R came in but it's a 31 spline unit so I will have to spend more money for new axles now. This kind of $hit makes me crazy.

JJ
Where did you find the T2R I would like to get one for my camaro ?
Thanks