PDA

View Full Version : Recommended machine shop in Houston?

blk96gt
10-11-2012, 08:42 AM
Drained the water out of the radiator last night and there was a bunch of black shit and some oil in the water. Combined with the low compression on cylinders 1,3, & 4 it's all pointing to a head gasket. I'm going to pull the intake manifold tonight and probably get the heads off sometime this weekend. I'd like to take them to a machine shop before I put them back on and was hoping someone had a recommendation for a good one here in Houston.

Also, I'm not too worried about pulling the heads off, but it would be nice to have someone who is familiar with the 4.6 to help put them back on. Would be willing to pay for help with money, beer, food, or women(men?).

Rsmith350
10-11-2012, 09:42 AM
Rick's Machine. 713-649-4442

Fbody383
10-11-2012, 01:51 PM
Erik Koenig HK Enterprises http://www.hkracingengines.com/

Joe @ Owens Racing in Pearland (281) 485-7336 - he built the stroker in my '69 Camaro. They came recommended from a long time mechanic friend and I was sold when I saw the 3 or 4 blown big block boat engines in the shop.

blk96gt
10-12-2012, 09:35 AM
Called and talked to Joe and will probably take the heads there. Couldn't get anyone to answer at Rick's or HK. Thanks for the help guys.

BryanL
10-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Also, I'm not too worried about pulling the heads off, but it would be nice to have someone who is familiar with the 4.6 to help put them back on. Would be willing to pay for help with money, beer, food, or women(men?).

I think Jerry or Matt are your 4.6 guys around here. Jerry will want payment with men-think he has a fondness for military guys, too!

rpoz27
10-12-2012, 11:54 AM
I think Jerry or Matt are your 4.6 guys around here. Jerry will want payment with men-think he has a fondness for military guys, too!

I have one shop I use in Dallas and they used to use Houston Performance...granted I know of the horror stories, I got special treatment as a sponsored car. I honestly have not kept up on the mod motors much over the last 5 years....haven't needed to and hope it stays that way. However, Since my new HP target for ST2 is 7.65:1....I need about 70hp and can't make it there with my current combo. If anyone is interested, my AI motor will likely be getting pulled and sold over the off season. Goal is to go Coyote but that is a $12k endeavor I am not sure I am ready to take on just yet.

As for the Original poster....does your motor have head studs? If so, were they retorqued after initial heat cycles? If not, you might not need anything but new head gaskets. Then torque, heat cycle twice, then torque again with an extra 5lbs. Works great.

blk96gt
10-12-2012, 12:33 PM
No head studs, just TTY bolts.

ShadowBolt
10-12-2012, 12:56 PM

Pull the engine. I don't even try to pull heads off with the engine in the car.

BL what was your fastest lap time at ECR???????Nuff said.

JJ

marshall_mosty
10-12-2012, 02:08 PM

PBL what was your fastest lap time at ECR???????Nuff said.

I love it when chicks fight...

BryanL
10-12-2012, 03:18 PM
Pull the engine. I don't even try to pull heads off with the engine in the car.

BL what was your fastest lap time at ECR???????Nuff said.

JJ

Hey Rock-Jerry is coming over this weekend to check your oil......I mean check the oil in the motor. Is it clean or like chocolate milk?

Alright One Lap Wonder--had a faster lap than me (at ECR how bout Hallett)..easy pickings on the guy that had to brake before the 500 ft marker and couldn't pull the motor over 4,800...do I need to send you my spreadsheet of excuses?

ShadowBolt
10-14-2012, 01:28 PM
Hey Rock-Jerry is coming over this weekend to check your oil......I mean check the oil in the motor. Is it clean or like chocolate milk?

Alright One Lap Wonder--had a faster lap than me (at ECR how bout Hallett)..easy pickings on the guy that had to brake before the 500 ft marker and couldn't pull the motor over 4,800...do I need to send you my spreadsheet of excuses?

Yes

blk96gt
10-14-2012, 09:33 PM
Pulled the head off the passenger side today (with some help from Sam, thanks again). Looks like a busted ring in the #3 cylinder. Now it's time to decide whether I want to get the engine rebuilt or swap the drive train over to a 5.0. Have a buddy down the street that has a wrecked '88 Fox. Already has GT40 heads, intake and ecam(I think). Claims it runs. Could probably recoup some of the costs by parting out the Fox after the swap. Going to go look at the car tomorrow.

Decisions, decisions...