PDA

View Full Version : Rough Weekend

David Love AI27
08-07-2006, 10:28 AM
The AI(X) 27 car is done!!... After running 5 sessions in friday's test-n-tune we found the car is geared too low for TWS... Last year I didn't notice since I was too new to get it up to speed... Amber and I were both getting on the 6600 limiter 3/4 down the front straight. Saturday I decided to up the limiter to 6800. Amber started the day running 2.15s in practice, I told her to pickup the pace and she did a great job by improving to 2.11s. Her Mom came to watch her race in R1 which really gave her a great boost and she ran an awsome race getting down into the 2.05s. HOWEVER, I jumped in the car while she was touring the pits with her mom before R1 and laid down a near 2.flat which may have been the cause of the motor failure with 1 lap to go... SORRY AMBER... We both had a cry afterwards...

I'm a so proud of Amber's performance... From my view in the stands she drove pretty smooth and gave passing drivers lots of room... She has commented to me that she is just trying to keep a good line so there is no guessing as to where she is going... Amber and I both would like input from anyone, both good and bad....

As for the 27 car... the oil pan is dented from the inside out and thas a couple of gashes in the side, the starter housing is broken and there is LOTS of loose pieces of metal in the bell housing, one of them appears to be from the back of the block... I can't complaint too much... for a sub-$10,000 race car it has done very well...

Mike Bell
08-07-2006, 10:33 AM
David & Amber,

Sorry to hear about the engine damage. I know the few laps I was out on track with the #27 car it was moving along pretty well IMHO. No problems with the driver or the pace. Glad to hear that Amber could drop so much time in such a few short laps at TWS!! She's come a long way in such a short timeframe............... :D

Hope you guys get back out to the track soon.

AI#97
08-07-2006, 10:50 AM
David, I gave you my Kudos for her effort in getting the car off track after the blow up. She did Good!

TEXAST1
08-07-2006, 11:23 AM
Amber picked the best spot to "Park" in the area of the track she was in. It allowed the rest of the pack to continue to race.

Good choice Amber!

David, time to buy a good 350 that can make good HP/TQ at low RPM. THose 350 Chevys will live for years at 5,500 or less RPMs 8)

David Love AI27
08-07-2006, 02:18 PM
Amber picked the best spot to "Park" in the area of the track she was in. It allowed the rest of the pack to continue to race.

Good choice Amber!

David, time to buy a good 350 that can make good HP/TQ at low RPM. THose 350 Chevys will live for years at 5,500 or less RPMs 8)

Thanks, Kevin... yep I think a 350 will be much better than the 305... plus the fact that I don't have anything left of the 305 to rebuild!.. remember it started as a AS racer... now I can work towards a "true" AI racer... maybe by 2008 I'll be up in HP with bigger brakes and maybe a 3.55 gear for TWS

Todd Covini
08-08-2006, 12:42 AM
I still say that "Love in it Racing" have the biggest hearts in AI/CMC!

You guys have come a long way, baby...from driver skills, to car development. to equipment failure come-backs! I likely would have been done for the season long before you guys kept coming back.

Great job! :D

-=- Todd