PDA

View Full Version : Traveling tech

Rsmith350
12-27-2012, 01:06 PM
Hey guys, if you wanna get your annual before MSRH let me know. I've had some requests and I figured I'd go ahead and offer it to everyone. I've got a few free weekends that I can come out. Only Houston area guys though......don't have THAT much time on my hands! Contact info is below

Ross Smith
BMW West Houston
Direct - (832) 772-9114
Cell - (832) 317-8261
Ross.smith@bmwwest.com

edrock96GT
12-27-2012, 01:54 PM
Good idea. I remember in AZ it was the norm to get tech'd prior to an event (for DE at least) at one of many local authorized shops. It would be nice to see if we could get something like that going here.

Rsmith350
12-27-2012, 02:52 PM
There's a couple shops around here that are set up for it.
http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=40419
I'm just offering so you don't have to take it anywhere, consider it another service provided by the wonderful folks at NASA TX!
I asked Todd to put me on the list of shops awhile back but he doesn't like me very much....

kbrewmr2
12-28-2012, 09:36 AM
Good idea. I remember in AZ it was the norm to get tech'd prior to an event (for DE at least) at one of many local authorized shops. It would be nice to see if we could get something like that going here.
What tech is needed for DE cars though? Make sure the wheels aren't going to fall off and the engine isn't going to fall out and just drive it! :)

I think it's kinda silly to make them go through almost the same level of tech that race cars do, just another barrier for entry in a sport that's already hard to talk new people into.

Oh and just a note from what we (I) figured out on the main board - make sure you've got ALL your driver gear handy when you have Ross come over. H&N restraint updated, suit, etc.

Rsmith350
12-28-2012, 10:32 AM
Same level of tech? For HPDE?! We basically do a short checklist and make sure there are no leaks, all the lug nuts, and that they have a helmet. Takes me 5 minutes do that one at the track. Just have them there early. What I'm trying to cut down is the cars waiting on an annual tech the first race weekend. People miss track time and it can be aggravating for the driver. I'm not even charging anyone to come out and do it. It's an attempt to make our process smoother.

edrock96GT
12-28-2012, 03:04 PM
What tech is needed for DE cars though?... just another barrier for entry in a sport that's already hard to talk new people into..

To answer your question, something like this (HPDE tech form off the AZ region site):

Plus, as a new driver I thought it was kinda cool that I had to get my car "tech'd" prior to my first event. Made me feel like I was doing something special, rather than the bubbas at the local drag strip that just shake your battery and send you on your way.

David Love AI27
12-28-2012, 04:56 PM
Ross... run by my house and tech my car..

kbrewmr2
12-31-2012, 10:27 AM
I used the word "almost" for a reason ;) and if that lets a competent home mechanic check their own car, then cool. If you're talking about making anyone and everyone take their car somewhere to be checked by that shop's monkeys then that's another story.

Wish Simpson would hurry the &%#$*# up and send me my device back...

BryanL
12-31-2012, 10:45 AM
What tech is needed for DE cars though? Make sure the wheels aren't going to fall off and the engine isn't going to fall out and just drive it! :)

I think it's kinda silly to make them go through almost the same level of tech that race cars do, just another barrier for entry in a sport that's already hard to talk new people into.

Oh and just a note from what we (I) figured out on the main board - make sure you've got ALL your driver gear handy when you have Ross come over. H&N restraint updated, suit, etc.

I completely disagree. The DE cars are probably the ones that need more tech in my opinion since you never know what somebody will show up with since it isn't getting an annual tech. Have to remember that it is also about protecting the driver or the driver of other cars on track. Even in DE the cars get close enough that if the brakes fail I'm taking out that $500k Porsche. Besides isn't TT just a DE.