PDA

View Full Version : Floor Jack Recommendations

Rob Liebbe
12-30-2012, 05:57 PM
So now both of my Crafstman floor jacks are out of commisison. Any one got any reccomendations? I want a new light weight aluminum and a new heavy duty (SUV capable) steel or aluminum/steel mix.

And yes, I do still work on cars even if it is not the new race car.

Fbody383
12-30-2012, 09:36 PM
Whoever this is... Merry Christmas and welcome to the group.

David Love AI27
12-30-2012, 10:33 PM
[QUOTE=Rob Liebbe;62092]So now both of my Crafstman floor jacks are out of commisison. Any one got any reccomendations? I want a new light weight aluminum and a new heavy duty (SUV capable) steel or aluminum/steel mix.

And yes, I do still work on cars even if it is not the new race car.[/QUOTE

They are not under warranty?? I am a big fan of craftsman... maybe the can rebuild them... their service center is at The Woodlands Mall...

blk96gt
12-30-2012, 10:36 PM
I've had this one for a couple years now. No issues so far. I think I got it on sale for around $100 or so.
http://www.harborfreight.com/aluminum-racing-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-2-tons-68051.html

Rob Liebbe
12-31-2012, 09:57 AM
[QUOTE=Rob Liebbe;62092]So now both of my Crafstman floor jacks are out of commisison. Any one got any reccomendations? I want a new light weight aluminum and a new heavy duty (SUV capable) steel or aluminum/steel mix.

And yes, I do still work on cars even if it is not the new race car.[/QUOTE

They are not under warranty?? I am a big fan of craftsman... maybe the can rebuild them... their service center is at The Woodlands Mall...

I think you only get one year on the warranty for floor jacks. Also, the Sears store and Auto Center at Woodlands is closing. I don't know about the Service Center.

BryanL
12-31-2012, 10:48 AM
There was another thread on here about jacks awhile back. I've had 2 of the 4k pound Crafstman jacks fail too along with one of the cheap 1.5 ton aluminum jacks. I wonder how long the $500 3 pump (Liebbe's new nickname) jacks would last. I just haven't seen many that last longer than 2-3 years-maybe Rock has one that will?

BlueFirePony
12-31-2012, 02:57 PM
[QUOTE=David Love AI27;62097]

I think you only get one year on the warranty for floor jacks. Also, the Sears store and Auto Center at Woodlands is closing. I don't know about the Service Center.
I love most Craftsman tools - from time to time a sales clerk or asst manager might not be all that helpful, but in those cases I've escalated the issue and have gottent it resolved (here's a link to an article I used a while back to "short circuit" the process ;) http://consumerist.com/2009/03/25/sears-clarifies-craftsman-tools-warranty/)
The floor jacks, at least since 2004, are crap. Talk to someone who bought one 20 years ago and it's still working like a champ. Talk to someone that bought one 5 years ago and its already sagging. Since the 2004 lawsuit they've gone downhill on a lot of items in fact...I don't know who makes the jacks now (Shinn Fu maybe?) but they are not what they used to be.
You can get rebuild parts for some of the jacks (in fact I talked to a guy that got his 3.5 ton rebuild kit from SFA) if you just want to do it yourself.

For specific recommendations:
For the lightweight I love the little Pittsburg we bought a couple years ago....it has two handle pistons and seems to be holding up. We also have a US General that was my first "racing" jack and it got abused - still does OK but needs some TLC.

I don't use the big 3+ ton jacks much anymore but my Central Hydraulic (Harbor Freight) has been doing good. Had it 5+ years maybe.

Al Fernandez
12-31-2012, 03:17 PM
I've had this one for a couple of years in the garage: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200345429_200345429
You might want to look into rebuilding yours though.

Suck fumes
12-31-2012, 03:40 PM
Just get the harbor freight aluminum jack. If you flip through practically any car magazine you can find coupons to get it for $70!

BlueFirePony
12-31-2012, 03:46 PM
I've had this one for a couple of years in the garage: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200345429_200345429
You might want to look into rebuilding yours though.

I've heard that the Arcan's are pretty good - a few shops I've been to in the last year or so have used them and no complaints.

kbrewmr2
01-02-2013, 12:56 PM
Just get the harbor freight aluminum jack. If you flip through practically any car magazine you can find coupons to get it for $70!
and get the extra warranty - most fail right about the time that starts to run out ime.

roadracerwhite
01-02-2013, 01:21 PM
I really like the Matco (The Beast) 3.5 ton. Only problem with it is that is also weighs a ton as well (105lbs).

http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/product/MFJ354P/35-TON-FLOOR-JACK/

ShadowBolt
01-02-2013, 02:43 PM
I am still on my first $79.00 Goodyear (Pep Boys) impact and my first Craftsman Aluminum jack I purchased the year I started racing.
Guess I should hold my breath.

JJ

BlueFirePony
01-02-2013, 04:41 PM
I am still on my first $79.00 Goodyear (Pep Boys) impact and my first Craftsman Aluminum jack I purchased the year I started racing.
Guess I should hold my breath.

JJ
The Goodyear impacts are decent...the batteries are hit and miss. One of the two I bought initially still charges fine (6 years later). The other one and the replacement (3 years old) don't hold a charge at all.
The Craftsman jack...well, you got Party Member #00267800117 to QA that one...he's good that way.