PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to Chris Marvel!

AI#97
08-08-2006, 05:21 PM
With all the other exciting things happening during and after the weekend I just wanted to shout out a big thanks to CM for the racing this weekend. I learned more from racing with him than I have all year and he really pushed me hard to be mistake free and helped to put on a great show for the folks in the stands. It made me feel really bad to see him blow up the motor on the last lap in R4. Chris I hope you and Richard can pull something together for October because I want you there racing with us... Let me know if you guys need help looking for a motor or other parts. We have a pretty good network of cheap used parts up here in Dallas and I don't want to end up winning the championship without you guys standing on the podium. Just wouldn't seem right with all the effort and performance you guys put in this season!!!

Let me know if I can help!

cmarvel
08-08-2006, 05:46 PM
Thanks Matt!

You drove a hard clean race each race all weekend (along with excellent performances in qualifying both days), and you have earned your position in the championship no matter what happens in October. I think Sunday R4 is the hardest I have ever driven for a full race distance, you could probably tell in the mirror that I was using everything I had (and then some). Ironically, I felt better about my driving than I have in years at the end of that race.

And while we are at it, Props to Dave D, Chris L, and Jeff B for really stepping up their game. We had a excellent race in R2, so close we could feel the thunder, but no contact at all.

I will certainly take the help on finding parts, and we have not fully tossed in the towel yet. This is likely to be the last chance I have to win a season title, and I really don't want to quit. I will keep you posted, and we will decide what to do when we have the full post-mortem.

One more shout out here to Richard. That splitter held most of the oil and water that came out below until I got clear of the line. Without that, I would have been in a very dangerous position outside turn 2. Thanks again to Richard for the opportunity to drive my favorite race car!

donovan
08-08-2006, 06:04 PM
Thank you Chris for teaching me the lines... Following you I learned alot around TWS, more than ever before. Enough that I was able to pull off a win in R2, that I don't think could of happened if I had not had some time following you around the track!

I know your car was not 100% for that race, but I can not express the emotions I had the moment I pass you on the straight and completed the passin T1, then I was able to make a pass on Chris Lyons in T8 (was not smooth, but I did complete it) then move on to pass David Irwin after he upset the car coming out of the T10... I will remember that race for a long time... Following you guys for 3/4 of the race and them making my move, wow it was exciting!!!

I will post the video tonight! You will see my excitment in the car after the checkered flag!

Let me know if you guys need help, I don't have much in the engine department, but I might be able to source something if you have trouble finding anything.

David D.

mitchntx
08-08-2006, 07:00 PM
Week after the race ...

"I love you, man."

Day 2 ...

AI#97
08-08-2006, 07:31 PM
David, I was excited for you too.....cause it took points away from CM! :wink: You drove a hell of a race and you reaped the rewards from it!

Now, get to work on ripping them vids!!!! I would love to see the other 3 races....I am so mad at myself for not turning it on for Race 4 because that action at the start up to Turn 4 was some HAIRY stuff!!!!

Also, Congrats to Jeff Brooks for his first podium of the year. Much deserved for sticking it out and getting the car running strong again!

Mitch, don't be so pessimistic.... Wow! Did I just say that?! :shock:

cmarvel
08-08-2006, 11:02 PM
I know your car was not 100% for that race, but I can not express the emotions I had the moment I pass you on the straight and completed the passin T1David D.

Whatever percent the car was at, you earned that pass! It took patience and more than one try (if I gave it to you, it would not have meant anything :wink: ), but I could almost see you figuring it out as you went. I knew it was just a matter of time.

I was VERY impressed that you were willing to go that deep. The fact is, you were cleanly by me and gracefully ensured that there was no door open for me to sneak back by. Good technique and good clean racing.

Will someone from this group PLEASE go to nationals and show them how far we have come?

Mike Bell
08-09-2006, 06:25 AM
Chris,

I sent a PM to Richard about a shortblock I have. Hopefully you guys can find a way to get the car back in fighting form for October.

AI#97
08-09-2006, 08:52 AM
Will someone from this group PLEASE go to nationals and show them how far we have come?

Chris, I am teedering on the fence right now. Part of me wants to go up and whip all their asses and put an end to the East/West argument and pretty much let NASA in general know that we don't screw around down here in TX!

I am going to try and work a couple of deals for some travel money over the next couple of weeks and I was informed today that I am in line for a retroactive payout back to January that might seal the deal to go! I am going to go over a budget and plan this weekend to see if I can pull off nationals AND be responsible with a few things around the house (ie, keep wife off my back about spending money) and should know something by the end of next week. I am tempted to hit up my boss for the cash on the hopes there is TV coverage for the event but my big concern is tires. I may just have to take that last set from PST once I get the toyo bucks from this weekend.

I know I can make it happen, but the prudent thing is to take the week's vacation with the wife and save the cash.....but I can't remember the last time I was prudent with anything in my personal life!! :lol:

I suppose it would be really cool to be DOUBLE champion this year?! :wink:

cmarvel
08-09-2006, 11:09 AM
Thanks Mike! I will let you know what the Mr. Wizard says.

Matt, I suspect that this year will be the best opportunity. In a year or two everyone else will be spooled up and ready.

I would bring two full sets of tires, and maybe rains too.

RichardP
08-09-2006, 11:50 AM
Many years from now, people will remember who won the first nationals and maybe who won the latest one. No one will remember who won the second or third nationals without looking it up... :D

Richard P.

macstang
08-09-2006, 12:14 PM
Matt, we need you at nationals for you air conditioned trailer that we all can sleep in. Ill let you drink my beer. :P

One way or another, Micah and I will be there. Should be CMC 44 but, if that doesnt work, we will be sharing TTB 15.

AI#97
08-09-2006, 12:18 PM
Many years from now, people will remember who won the first nationals and maybe who won the latest one. No one will remember who won the second or third nationals without looking it up... :D

Richard P.

Yeah, I know....I already have the 2 sets and the set at PST would be a 3rd....my current spare set could be rains as they are 5/32's and given what we ran on this weekend, they would have been much better than what I had on the car.

My Ego is really pushing hard to make this happen but my brain is fighting it at every chance.

I may try to strike up a conversation with Mike Patterson to see what he thinks about the competition on the West coast and see if we even compare to those guys. I would love to say that I would go to Nationals for the experience but I know I would only be going to win...otherwise, it is VERY hard to justify the expense and risk of the car. I told myself back in march that if I wasn't in the hunt for the TX championship, I would go to nationals. That was back when I thought JG would be 500 points ahead of us right now....Things have obviously changed which is making it much more difficult. The next 5 days are going to be tough for me! :oops: