PDA

View Full Version : What I learned about my car during ,and after the wreck.

micah
08-08-2006, 07:20 PM
Your cage can't be over built, before the wreck I got about 4-5 compliments on the cage in about a year and half, after the wreck I got 40-50 in 2 hours. A custom built seat with six point padded harness keeps you were you should be.They can never be to tight. High density roll cage foam is worth the extra money, if you can push on that cheap foam with your finger and feel the bar imagine what your head would feel like if you had been in my shoes. 4 half inch bolts holding your battery box to the floor is not excessive. Putting a white knuckle death grip on the steering wheel and ramming yourself back into your seat will help from ping ponging around your harness. The last rotation was so slow compared to the others I thought the car was stopped. Closing yours eyes won't make it stop.

chris-CMC#35
08-08-2006, 09:31 PM
Micah,

I hope you don't mind, but I want to bring this incident to the folks here in NASA Rocky Mtn, as a learning experience.

I am so glad you're okay, that Jerry is okay, and perhaps most importantly, the kids are okay following what could have been a really bad thing on 290.

best,
chris

http://www.nasarockymountain.com/nasa_forums/showthread.php?p=2979#post2979

donovan
08-08-2006, 10:19 PM
Chris, thanks for passing it along.

I hope it helps others!

David D.

TEXAST1
08-09-2006, 03:57 PM
Micah, you are right. Saftey is not a place to cut corners. Your over weight cage is probalby why you can stll stand up strait.

I have to admit it was a very stylish roll over. Made sure you got all of the points covered. :wink:

micah
08-10-2006, 12:12 AM
the fuel cell that is not a requirement also did exactly what it was supposed to, twice.