PDA

View Full Version : Need a HANS: what do I buy?

MikeS
01-20-2013, 11:18 PM
Heading to comp school in Feb if the car is ready (it should be).

Need a HANS for that, I gather.

What do I buy? I am 6'4", my helmet is apparently predrilled for HANS and I will have an Ultrashield containment seat, if any of that makes a difference.

Once I figure out what to get I'll probably go down to Simpson and pick it up. Just don't want to make what appears to be a $700-1K purchase without some guidance from the crew here.

Thank you.

Suck fumes
01-20-2013, 11:22 PM
Go with the necksgen unit. It's adjustable and a lot better design than the Hans. I sell them on motorsportheaven.com

BlueFirePony
01-21-2013, 12:49 AM
Go with the necksgen unit. It's adjustable and a lot better design than the Hans. I sell them on motorsportheaven.com
Not at all familiar with the necksgen...can you elaborate? My son is close to Mike's height (6' 3") and he has an ultrashield full containment as well. We discussed the Hans fitting at length with the guys at Ultrashield when we had the seat built but since my son has not bought anything it would be worth getting a broader understanding of the choices.

Suck fumes
01-21-2013, 09:56 AM
If you go to my site Motorsportheaven.com and look under the head/neck restraint tab you'll see pictures of it. Basically what makes it better is it has wings on the shoulders that keep the belts from sliding off and the angle of the rear head rest is adjustable. Plus it comes with all the hardware you need to install in the helmet.

Suck fumes
01-21-2013, 10:15 AM
It is only SFI approved though so make sure that's ok with whatever class your running in. Hans is FIA Approved.

kbrewmr2
01-21-2013, 12:40 PM
I'm a fan of the R3 & Hybrid from Simpson.
NecksGen is something else to put on the consideration list.
HANS can be a good choice with the right car, seat, etc so you don't slip out from under the belts.

info a friend of mine put together that pointed me towards the R3 being the best choice for my use, setup, etc:
http://www.am-rennsport.com/HNR.html

BlueFirePony
01-21-2013, 01:23 PM
HANS can be a good choice with the right car, seat, etc so you don't slip out from under the belts.

... I've tested my HANS on all three axis...it worked.

kbrewmr2
01-22-2013, 10:02 AM
And I've had friends follow the recommendations for belts, etc to the T and still had it pop out. Hard enough hit in the door was all it took. Won't kill you to consider alternatives. Kleenex isn't nessecarily the best tissue, just the most reconginzed name...

Just because you're wearing any form of these H&Ns doesn't mean you can't die doing this stuff also... be careful out there guys & gals.

marshall_mosty
01-22-2013, 02:49 PM
...the recommendations for belts, etc to the T and still had it pop out. Hard enough hit in the door was all it took.
Ken,
With all due respect, the HANS isn't really designed for a side impact... That's what the containment seat or nets are for. I've had mine in a frontal impact and had no issues. Just make sure you have the belts placed properly and have them cinched down tight.

ShadowBolt
01-22-2013, 05:02 PM
Ken,
With all due respect, the HANS isn't really designed for a side impact... That's what the containment seat or nets are for. I've had mine in a frontal impact and had no issues. Just make sure you have the belts placed properly and have them cinched down tight.

I don't know if it's a Hans brand or not but I see some units with a lip to hold the sholder belt in place. Mine look like they could come off easy. I like the lip idea to hold the belt in place on your sholder.

HH

kbrewmr2
01-22-2013, 05:59 PM
Ken,
with all due respect this is exactly what I said above:

You need to look at the entire SYSTEM and pick based on what works well within the system, not what your favorite NASCAR driver wears and then use a crappy flimsy seat and wimpy head supports instead of a full net, etc. because if you're going to pick that kind of seat, etc, then you'd better get the most robust and self-contained H&N you can.

also consider egress times - you guys with your cars have big enough windows that the big head support winged seats don't cut down on it too bad, but still something to consider.

Again - SYSTEM approach, not pick and choose without thinking about how it all will work together in a multitude of situations

/offsoapbox

Crumpacker
01-24-2013, 06:13 PM
I use a Xao-ans. It's made in N Korea and feels a little flimsy, but they said it would serve it's purpose. It's biodegradable paper mache and the directions said not to get it wet... that's probably the most inconvenient part. For $27 after $20 shipping, I'm not complaining.

David Love AI27
01-25-2013, 10:38 AM
I use a Xao-ans. It's made in N Korea and feels a little flimsy, but they said it would serve it's purpose. It's biodegradable paper mache and the directions said not to get it wet... that's probably the most inconvenient part. For $27 after $20 shipping, I'm not complaining.

This coming from an insurance salesman....