PDA

View Full Version : 2013 AI/CMC Texas Round 1 Post Race Report

GlennCMC70
01-26-2013, 12:49 PM
Round 1 MSR-H Jan 19/20 2013

This will be more of a technical report instead of a play by play report as is typical of our post race weekend write-ups. I encourage everyone to make a detailed report of how the weekend went for them and post it here. If I tried to do this, I would surely leave out someone and in trying to keep track I would have not been able to be in Race Control, take pics and work the Tech Shed and post race impound for you guys.

This year started off with a few new rookies, and a lot of inbound “rookies to be” planned to take the track with us for MSR-C and TWS. With 12 CMC cars and the likely hood of 15-18 for the next event, CMC is doing well. However, the CMC car count was eclipsed with some great growth in AI that resulted in 7 cars making the show and with 1 car a DNF prior to Q1 on Sat. There are 3-4 more AI cars expected for MSR-C. I expect a 10+ AI car count for Round 2. This is great growth for AI – good job guys.

Q1 appeared to be going well from the pit road wall, but after I directed random AI/CMC cars to tech for post Q1 tech, things got crazy. Q1 Tech was for weight only. 3 CMC and 1 AI cars were QD’ed for minimum weight violations. Once that was over we soon realized there was an issue with the timing loop at the Start/Finish line. The loop had broken somewhere in the middle of the track and only picked up half the field. The Race Director and both Series Directors agreed that grid for R1 would be set by a random draw. This resulted in some interesting grid positions that was only made more comical due to it being a random draw. We had a 2nd weekend rookie on pole w/ all the typical front runners grouped together in the middle.

R1 grid was set by Q1 results. R1 finished with the win going to Casey Holdway for AI and Michael Mosty for CMC.
R1 Tech for the Top 4 was for weight, track width (for CMC), an inspection for the presence of fire rated socks and an inspection of the HANS or other device for SFI and/or FIA decals to ensure compliance with the NASA CCR.
There was 1 post R1 DQ that was a result of at fault contact.

R2 grid was set by inverting the finish order of R1. R2 finished with the win going to Dave Kagan for AI and Michael Mosty for CMC. R2 Tech was for 5th through 9th for the same items tech’ed in R1. There were no DQ’s as a result of this tech session.

Day 2 started off very foggy. This photo was taken an hour after the track was suposed to be hot.
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/64668_467073163353044_201219587_n.jpg
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/263838_467073630019664_968222010_n.jpg
This resulted in a 2 hour delay w/ some slight modifications to the schedule to help us get back on time. Thanks to everyone with NASA TX for the hard work on this. James Proctor and Dan Allford failed to make the show for day 2 as a result of mechanical failures.

Q2 went much better than Q1 the previous day. This resulted with Dave Kagen for AI and Michael Mosty for CMC on pole. Post Q2 tech was a random selection for weight. No DQ’s as a result of this tech session.

R3 grid was set by Q2 results. R3 finished with wins going to Dave Kagan for AI and Michael Mosty for CMC. R3 Tech was for top 4 and was for weight and verification that the steering wheel lock has been disabled. 1 DQ issued for post race weight and 1 DQ for at fault contact.

R4 grid was set by inverting the finish order of R3. R4 finished with the win going to Mike Patterson for AI and Michael Mosty for CMC. R4 Tech was for Top 2 performing cars from each class (2 for AI and 2 for CMC) of the weekend to impound. The top car from each class (based on finish positions of the weekend) were dyno’ed.
One DQ issued for not submitting to post race inspection. In this case, the 2nd impounded car was dyno’ed.

Suck fumes
01-26-2013, 04:32 PM
So how does the Dyno thing work after the race cause every Dyno reads different and the weather is not always the same so you have to factor in that as well right?

michaelmosty
01-26-2013, 06:16 PM
So how does the Dyno thing work after the race cause every Dyno reads different and the weather is not always the same so you have to factor in that as well right?
The dyno calculates for changes in weather / altitude. I dyno'd 257/287 in Dallas a few weeks ago (in rain and 50 degree temps) and then pulled 260/287 after the races at Houston (sunny and mid-60's temp). I came off track 25 lbs. over minimum weight so technically I had room to pull 262 hp and still be legal.

From what I understand the dyno is the same as the scales, what they say is final.

marshall_mosty
01-26-2013, 07:12 PM
Moved to rules section...

GlennCMC70
01-26-2013, 07:32 PM
Lets keep this about the race weeknd and the results of that weekend. Lets start a new thread about rules related stuff in the rules section.
If I had admin rights, I would move the above posts myself.