PDA

View Full Version : Going to race a Legends car on Sunday at TMS

AllZWay
02-04-2013, 09:42 PM
A friend got a hookup on renting Legends cars for a race on Sunday at TMS on the infield road course. He and i are both going to race them. He has rented them before but never raced them and has never been on a road course. I have rented one once for about ten laps on a small oval.

This is supposed to my car for Sunday.

GlennCMC70
02-04-2013, 10:47 PM
Cost to get in and watch? Time? I would like to bring the girls out.

jdlingle
02-04-2013, 10:50 PM
Those cars look like fun! Be sure and update us how it went.

AllZWay
02-05-2013, 08:55 AM
Cost to get in and watch? Time? I would like to bring the girls out.

I don't know about cost to get in or times. Track opens at 9:00am for practice and I was told everything would probably be over by 3:00. Apparenty there are about 3-4 classes of cars and I probably will be in the Masters class... which I think is for old folks over age 40.

ShadowBolt
02-05-2013, 09:16 AM
Are you responsible for damages?

JJ

AllZWay
02-05-2013, 09:51 AM

JJ

Honestly.. I don't know yet. I am going to find out more details. It all came together yesterday.

Crumpacker
02-05-2013, 03:01 PM
Awesome! and Good Luck!!

Proctor doesn't hit stuff, he just grenades rear ends.

BryanL
02-05-2013, 03:58 PM
Awesome! and Good Luck!!

That was Jerry trying to get his own win-or maybe it was me taking out Procter and Dan so I can start lobbying for some weight breaks.

Remember last years campaign slogan "2013-The Year of the FOX!"

AllZWay
02-05-2013, 04:04 PM
Awesome! and Good Luck!!

I did pull it apart this weekend. The bolts in the end of the torsen were worked loose and finger tight. The carrier bearings were completed shot. The torsen looked good, except there was a couple of chipped teeth from inside the torsen that were binding it up.

Since they aren't rebuildable I will just have to replace it.

ShadowBolt
02-05-2013, 04:35 PM
I did pull it apart this weekend. The bolts in the end of the torsen were worked loose and finger tight. The carrier bearings were completed shot. The torsen looked good, except there was a couple of chipped teeth from inside the torsen that were binding it up.

Since they aren't rebuildable I will just have to replace it.

So you could have dropped the cover and tightened the bolts and ran on Sunday. My Toyo Bucks thanks you that you did not.

JJ

GlennCMC70
02-05-2013, 04:40 PM
James - let them know your faster than Scott Smith.

Most of the veterans will understand this one.

AllZWay
02-05-2013, 08:04 PM
I have been bumped to the Morgan Dawdy numbered car.

Waco Racer
02-06-2013, 10:09 AM
They are twitchy little boogers to drive. Make sure you get good temp in the tires before you toss it around too much.

Al Fernandez
02-06-2013, 10:07 PM
That sounds like a lot of fun James. Give 'em hell!

nasa-rm
02-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Legends cars are a hoot and a b&*th to drive fast. I chased our Oklahoma boys around for a few races in one. Those Federal tires don't stick worth anything, but at least you are all equal.

Keep the car in the power band. High/high/high reving. If you shift at 5xxx rpm like you are used to, you will go backwards.

AllZWay
02-08-2013, 08:54 AM
The weather outlook is not looking good to get to actually do this race this weekend. :(

AllZWay
02-11-2013, 10:06 AM
Weather turned out awesome...except the rain made for a very slick track. Especially, after folks go off track and drag mud and water back onto the track.

I had a blast. These cars a lot of fun to drive and are a handful to drive. Unfortunately, it was a really poor turnout for the race. I am not sure that there were a total of 15 legends cars and only 2 bandalero cars.

I got bumped to a brand new car that had only been on track once on Saturday. It is the owners personal car, but he rented out 4 cars for the weekend.

We got two 5-10 minute practices. I may have gotten 10 laps of practice before the heat race. Since there was such a small turnout, all four legends class were racing at the same time and the heat race starting position was based on a random draw. I drew 5th starting place for the heat race.

With such little practice time, I was still not comfortable with the car. Shifting, steering, braking and cornering are all feel very unusual not to mention, I still didn't know the course yet, but it is race time. The heat race is a 15 lap race.

I head into turn one and give plenty of room for all those in front of me to not wipe out and any way faster than me that are behind me to have an opportunity to pass me , before I really start to race, but none pass. This course is not really that challenging, but there are only one or maybe two spots to pass. I am running comfortable in 5th with no one really challenging me from behind so race close with the 3rd and 4th place cars, but never really make an attempt to pass them. I can't risk wadding up the car or making contact. I finish 5th with a decent lead on the rest of the field and right behind 3rd and 4th with 1st and 2nd in site, but some distance ahead of us.

With the 5th place heat finish I start 5th again for the 30 lap feature race. I feel much more comfortable with the car, although steering is still really uncomfortable. These cars are so small I couldn't drive elbows up like I like to drive, because I kept hitting the drivers door with my elbow. I had to move that hand up to the center of the steering wheel to be able to turn the car.

I still race very conservative, but do stay right on the rear of the two cars in front of me and we run the entire race nose to tail. I do poke my nose in a couple of times, but don't risk making the pass. The two cars in front swap their positions a couple of times and I get close to a pass a time or two, but never get by them. However, on the last corner of the last lap, the 4th place car takes out the 3rd place car out and I pass both with less than 100 yards to the checker for a podium 3rd place finish. woohoo.

I would need much more time in the car to ever run with the 1st and 2nd place cars though. They never got out of site, but still probably 100 yards ahead of me and on this little track was a huge margin.

Overall... I didn't embarrass myself and was moderately competitive pretty quickly, so I was happy with the race...even if I had finished 5th. I may have actually won my class, but I never found out what class the 1st and 2nd place cars were in, but I think winner was in the Pro division ( massive hauler, equipment, and crew) and the other in semi-pro or pro division (young teenage kid). I ran in the over 40 year old class called Masters... probably only 3 or 4 of us old guys racing.

The cars....
1. Dave was correct about the RPMS and shifting. I struggled for a while with the shifting points. No tach in these cars, but dayum the engine sounds like it is going to blow up and I only hit the rev limiter a couple of times. The owner said I obviously wasn't pushing it hard enough then. It should hit the rev limiter before every shift. I kept trying to find more gears than the car had. They turn something like 14k rpms.
2. No mirrors... try to run a road race with no mirrors. Very uncomfortable in a rented car.
3. Tons of power for the tire compound and weight of the car. With the short wheel base, these cars are very twitchy and take a lot of up on the wheel driving...but a blast to drift around some of the corners.
4. Racing/Renting these cars is very risky. As a driver you are responsible for damage up to and including full replacment value of the car if it were to be totalled. Only one of his rental cars had any damage, a slightly bent rear bumper which he didn't charge the driver for the damage. With that in mind... I certainly couldn't afford to be too aggressive. There were opportunities, but I backed out.
5. The owner reminded me a little of Ray Bob and was a great guy. He had the car dialed in pretty good. I didn't have enough track time to even suggest any changes., but most any changes needed to come from the driver.
6. I am not sure it was totally worth the money for the amount of track time, but I might do it again in the future.

Alien
02-11-2013, 12:48 PM
Very cool James! One more thing to tack onto that racing resume!

ShadowBolt
02-11-2013, 04:24 PM
Not what I was expecting James. I told the wife that you would run away from those NDMF'ers.

Well as long as you had fun. Now you know how most of the rest of us mid-pack slackers feel.

JJ

Al Fernandez
02-11-2013, 10:16 PM
Very cool write up James, thanks for that. Sounds like fun, though hitting the cage with your elbows sucks. Thats the way that 944 was when I got it and it made me crazy.

GlennCMC70
02-11-2013, 10:50 PM
I'm really shocked James did that well while not being in a chassis w/ an advantage. Perhaps he does have some tallent after all.

rleng1
02-12-2013, 12:22 AM
good job James. And that's WAHOO, not woohoo.

Rsmith350
02-12-2013, 08:38 AM
I'm really shocked James did that well while not being in a chassis w/ an advantage. Perhaps he does have some tallent after all.

Was wondering who would be the first one to say it......

Rob Liebbe
02-12-2013, 08:47 AM
I don't think he's really all that talented. He's likely channeling the spirit of some great racer from the past.

AllZWay
02-12-2013, 08:54 AM
It was a fun experience and was fun to race something different....but I definitely am not ready to give up the ole mullett mobile any time soon. :D

I am trying to talk the onwer of the legends cars to come to Cresson next month. He has never been to a NASA event. He owns a LS3 Vette too and could play in it and maybe rent or race his Legends with NASA in the future.

Waco Racer
02-12-2013, 09:09 AM
The OK Legends guys usually come to the Cresson and Eagles Canyon events. They would love to have some Texas guys join them.