PDA

View Full Version : Steering locked up tight as a drum

MikeS
02-16-2013, 03:52 PM
Over the course of about half a dozen turns at HHR today, my steering progressively locked up to the point where I can't move it. At all. Like it's welded. Unfortunately had to be hauled off which was a trick given that I can't make the car go in any direction other than about 10 degrees to the left.

Doesn't seem that a steering rack should go bad in 5500 track miles (what's on the odo). Or maybe that's not unreasonable.

Aside from replacing the rack, thoughts on other troubleshooting? Google has been little help.

Fbody383
02-16-2013, 05:54 PM
Power steering system still has fluid in it? sounds like the rack. Maybe drop the tie rod ends off each spindle to make sure it's not a siezed ball joint?

What car are we talking about?

MikeS
02-16-2013, 07:09 PM
This is an SN95.

Plenty of fluid and no evidence of leaking. Nothing obviously broken. I'll do some diagnosis tomorrow. Will have to do that on the trailer as I can't move the wheel at all to maneuver it into the garage.

cobra132
02-17-2013, 08:09 AM
Look at the joints between the fire wall and the rack. If there is some movement when you try to turn the steering wheel from side to side then the rack is bound. If there is no movement then the steering column is locked. My column failed very quickly. It's a poor design and cannot take the stress we put on it. FMR

marshall_mosty
02-17-2013, 10:52 AM
Undo the rag joint at the rack and try to turn the tires with it in the air. That will diagnose column vs rack. I'd guess it's the column. I had a rack go bad at TWS in the first 45 minutes of an enduro back in 2006. Michael and I drove with a bad rack (no power assist) for 3 1/2 hours. Replaced the rack and pump and everything was good.

Good luck!

kbrewmr2
02-19-2013, 12:07 PM
could it be something in the steering lock mechanism that has possibly jammed? I know you're supposed to remove or disable it, but depending on how that was done...