PDA

View Full Version : Grand Am

ShadowBolt
02-27-2013, 02:53 PM
Who's going? $59.00 for both days sounds like a great deal. Maybe with all the temp. seats you can see most of the track from the stands. Thinking about going but don't know about two days.

JJ

Suck fumes
02-27-2013, 03:00 PM
You can come to the SCCA race for a lot less the following weekend march 8-10. They aren't allowing spectators but you can get in if you tell the gate person you are thinking of joining SCCA and then they will sell you a $15 all access pass. Plus all seven classes are maxed out at 85 entrants each. Might be a lot more exciting to watch!

kbrewmr2
02-27-2013, 04:52 PM
85 Wreck Pinatas piling into turn 1 on lap 1 should be as exciting as the Continental Series and about the same amount of carnage...

And I have some crew spots leftover on my entry I might be sweet talked into re-arranging... :)

Suck fumes
02-27-2013, 05:25 PM
I'll be running T1 in my new mustang. Sucks that a CMC car translates into T1 cause you're up against WAY faster cars. O well I just want to drive the track and better dial in my car.

BryanL
02-27-2013, 07:31 PM
Well 85 pinatas out there will ruin the chance of any other clubs racing there after they tear the place up.

85 entrants in each class is impressive. Hopefully NASA will take note and try to get Nats there sometime.

Suck fumes
02-27-2013, 08:27 PM
One can only hope. And all those classes sold out in 30 min!

nasa-rm
02-27-2013, 09:14 PM
Hopefully NASA will take note and try to get Nats there sometime.

I keep saying it. Maybe one day someone will believe me. COTA does not really care about NASA and does not want our National Championships there.

Suck fumes
02-27-2013, 09:21 PM
I know management is stuck up and all about the pro classes but maybe soon they'll realize the profit potential from the club scene.

BryanL
02-27-2013, 09:41 PM
I keep saying it. Maybe one day someone will believe me. COTA does not really care about NASA and does not want our National Championships there.

Oh I agree with you. That is why I think after the scca tears it up NASA sure wont have a chance. Disappointing with the tax incentives they received. When crazy Bernie pulls out totally then maybe they will have to let us race there.

jdlingle
02-27-2013, 11:58 PM
You hit the nail on the head Bryan. The track has everything going for it right now. Once F1 gets tired of it in 10-12 years they will have a sudden newfound love for track day and club racers though.

RichardP
02-28-2013, 08:48 AM
COTA does not really care about NASA

COTA didn't care about any other group that's running there either. Maybe track management will come around or maybe they will always suck to work with. The track is cool enough that it's worth the effort to keep trying...

Richard P.

ShadowBolt
02-28-2013, 09:05 AM

I know you are right about this Dave. I know they don't care about club racing at all. Would NASA not have as many people at a nationals as SCCA is having at this event? I don't really care. I would not pay two or three times just to race there. Just the fact that it's in my backyard makes it a easy race for me but I will take Hallett or NOLA and they can pound sand.

JJ

Suck fumes
02-28-2013, 09:19 AM
When you see how incredible the place is first hand you might think twice about paying more to race there.

ShadowBolt
02-28-2013, 09:59 AM
When you see how incredible the place is first hand you might think twice about paying more to race there.

I know it's a great track. I made a few laps with the Cadillac people in a CTS-V but I still don't think it's worth three times the money. Just being so close is great. I hate the fact that people like us pushed for this track and they got deals on their taxes and now they think they are to good for us.

JJ

BryanL
02-28-2013, 10:27 AM
I know it's a great track. I made a few laps with the Cadillac people in a CTS-V but I still don't think it's worth three times the money. Just being so close is great. I hate the fact that people like us pushed for this track and they got deals on their taxes and now they think they are to good for us.

JJ

Yep, I signed some online petition. I was good with the $25 myn they would receive from the state. It's like a Six Flags being built as a pseudo state park but only high ranking diplomats are allowed in.

Suck fumes
02-28-2013, 10:36 AM
Just some food for thought for NASA....the track cost $50k a day to rent so its a $150k for the three day event. Now the entry fee was $650 each with 7 classes maxing out at 85 cars each. PLUS $500 per garage with 30 garages total. So factor 600 total entrants makes them $390k plus $15k for garages. At $405k total that is a LOT OF MONEY for the club to make in profit. Several classes sold out in 10 min and have waiting lists! I can only imagine that NASA would have the same success if they kept lobbying to race there!

kbrewmr2
02-28-2013, 11:02 AM
you can throw the economics out there all you want but if they won't even talk to Dave, people from National, etc then it means exactly diddly squat.

I held my nose and got my SCCA memebership, license, etc and bent over and paid the fee to run at the event coming up. It'd be nice to not have to do that, but...

Suck fumes
02-28-2013, 11:03 AM
All I'm saying is don't give up just cause you get shot down a couple times.

Suck fumes
02-28-2013, 11:31 AM
Were you the one that had that red MR2 that came to Ed's shop in January to have Jerry do your annual tech?

Alien
02-28-2013, 11:48 AM
I got tickets for this weekend, but will only be there Saturday.

nasa-rm
02-28-2013, 12:46 PM
Just some food for thought for NASA....the track cost $50k a day to rent so its a $150k for the three day event. Now the entry fee was $650 each with 7 classes maxing out at 85 cars each. PLUS $500 per garage with 30 garages total. So factor 600 total entrants makes them $390k plus $15k for garages. At $405k total that is a LOT OF MONEY for the club to make in profit. Several classes sold out in 10 min and have waiting lists! I can only imagine that NASA would have the same success if they kept lobbying to race there!

Come on Aaron. Those are some simple napkin economics, but in reality SCCA's bill is A LOT more than $150k for the weekend coming up. Don't think COTA isn't charging them to turn around and rent the garages and for every bathroom door that gets unlocked.

SCCA will turn a profit, but its isn't as easy as subtracting $150k from $405k. If it's really that easy, I've got 2 NASA regions I'll sell you for $200k. You can manage one event at COTA and that'll net you $55k to pocket and walk away. :)

Wade
02-28-2013, 12:56 PM
I heard something about no outside food or drink, and that COTA would sell you a case of water for $48. That seemingly small thing could really add up. I bet the have the same requirements for no outside FUEL, and so on. I'm totally ok with waiting until the "new" wears off.

ShadowBolt
02-28-2013, 01:10 PM
I heard something about no outside food or drink, and that COTA would sell you a case of water for $48. That seemingly small thing could really add up. I bet the have the same requirements for no outside FUEL, and so on. I'm totally ok with waiting until the "new" wears off.

There is a man that is thinking right.

JJ

RichardP
02-28-2013, 01:49 PM
I bet the have the same requirements for no outside FUEL

That was strangely not one of the restrictions in place for the Driver's Edge event. There was a gas station right across the street that everyone was driving to. They ran out on Saturday...

Richard P.

ShadowBolt
02-28-2013, 02:55 PM
That was strangely not one of the restrictions in place for the Driver's Edge event. There was a gas station right across the street that everyone was driving to. They ran out on Saturday...

Richard P.

With the tree hugging City of Austin it may be easier to build a race track than putting in fuel tanks.

JJ

Chuck
02-28-2013, 03:45 PM
I will there Saturday, have tickets in T15.

Chuck
CMC#14

Casey_SS
02-28-2013, 03:46 PM
I will be there Friday and Saturday - GA section of T1.

RichardP
02-28-2013, 03:50 PM
With the tree hugging City of Austin it may be easier to build a race track than putting in fuel tanks.

Fuel tanks were there at the track with the standard track price markups...

Richard P.

kbrewmr2
03-01-2013, 09:34 AM
Were you the one that had that red MR2 that came to Ed's shop in January to have Jerry do your annual tech?
My race MR2 is a blue 94. I've been working with John Cooper to get my annual done... nice talkative guy and has been travelling out to my shop to save me from having to tow the car all over to get things taken care of

ShadowBolt
03-01-2013, 04:47 PM
Guess I'm not going to make it. I have been trying to get my upper control arm (on the PM3L) welded for weeks and now my welder can only come tomorrow around noon. Have fun.

JJ

David Love AI27
03-04-2013, 02:01 PM
Guess I'm not going to make it. I have been trying to get my upper control arm (on the PM3L) welded for weeks and now my welder can only come tomorrow around noon. Have fun.

JJ

Bummer