PDA

View Full Version : CMC 44 progress

macstang
08-10-2006, 01:58 AM
I just came in from under the CMC 44.

Everything inside the car is fine. Guages, seat, steering wheel, controls.

Engine runs, replaced a broken distrubutor cap and rotor, but it runs.

trans shifts.

Exhaust almost untouched and usable.

driveshaft good.

rear suspension is all straight, the PHB is bent-just the AL part not the mount.

rear brakes dont leak, and appear straight.

LR axle snapped off at the bearing surface, clean break, and was held on the car by the brake caliper.

All the springs appear to be in their "as installed" state.

Fuel cell is f@#$%ed. It never leaked, still doesnt, but it is mangled.

Everything on the car that says Army, is unscratched, even the entire hood is straight except for a small dent near the right hoodpin.

Radiator and oil cooler do not leak and are straight.

The amazing part-the frame appears straight. I put a straight edge up to it, and seems straight. The subframe connectors too. The Kmember is tweaked, and LF moved 1/4 inch rearward. The rocker panels are straight also. all the bending is either in front of the front wheels, or behind the rear ones.

Power steering still leaks (thought we fixed that).

In all, there is alot left to the CMC 44, and I will be documenting the recreation on this post.

Lewis Tanner
08-10-2006, 12:56 PM
Good to see that there's a lot to work with, you planning on rebuilding this one or moving to a new chassis? In either case, I suggest covering the new car in its entirety with Maximum Motorsports stickers, as they seem to hold up pretty well. ;)

macstang
08-10-2006, 02:05 PM
New chassis in the works Lewis.

Army stickers seem to be pretty indestructible. I believe in MM and dont think another product even compares, but, since they dont offer contingency for CMC, and do for AI/AIX, I am hesitant about putting too many of their stickers on the car.

Based on the results of the clear MM stickers im thinking about covering the inside of the windows with clear plastic adhesive. Never know when one of those windows is gonna shatter again.

BTW Lewis, I still owe ya. You gonna do R/A this weekend with Southeast?

AI#97
08-10-2006, 02:23 PM
good lord Jerry, you are serious about getting back on track!!! I have yet to even take my car out of the trailer!!!!!

macstang
08-10-2006, 02:42 PM
Dude, MY car is still on the trailer too.

This is business. He wants a car, Ill build him one....again. lol, yes, I can laugh about it. Wife doesnt laugh much though.

Waco Racer
08-10-2006, 03:50 PM
Wife doesnt laugh much though.

I would think not after admitting to the Maurice Clarett incident on the highway.

macstang
08-12-2006, 07:20 AM
Pics are posted on the gallery.

I dont have time to put an explanation on each one, but I can answer questions pertaining to them.

macstang
08-19-2006, 03:56 PM
new pics are posted to the gallery.

Picking up the new 44 this week.

http://www.aicmctexas.com/gallery/d/9389-2/Aug+19+2006+039.jpg

Rob Liebbe
08-20-2006, 11:27 AM
...and Todd was worried about his Home Owners Association. :lol:

macstang
08-20-2006, 08:13 PM
Luckily, i dont have an association, but i do live in a subdivision. It was pretty ugly for a a little while when I was working on it, but I put a cover on it at night.

The lady accross the street told me that I am pretty loud at night, but she is ok with it cuz she feels safe that nobody will mess with our houses while thats going on. Prolly just her way of bitching nicely.

Today, I dropped off the old CMC 44 at Micah's father's house. Tomorrow, I am picking up the new CMC 44 and beginning the transformation to prep it for nationals. Labor day weekend, I hope to shake it down at Barber Motorsports park in Alabama.

mitchntx
08-20-2006, 09:50 PM
So how is life on Red Bull and Methamphetamine?

GlennCMC70
08-20-2006, 10:20 PM
building a new cage from scratch? or transfering the old one?

marshall_mosty
08-20-2006, 10:32 PM
Jerry,
I was just very impressed on how well the cage held up and looked like it had never been touched... I guess that's the point, right?

Seeing a Mustang gutted with no roof and a roll cage showed me just how much "safety cage" we have surrounding us. I'm glad the CCR's put the requirements that they do in the rules.

macstang
08-20-2006, 11:19 PM
That cage was actually in excess of the rules.

It met the chassis in 6 points, but that is where it deviates from the rules, ( no it was not illegal).

The X in the rear is optional.

The 2 lower bars from the rear shock towers to the bottom of the main hoop are optional.

The main hoop had 2 crossbars, one straight, and one curved.

the bend above the rear view mirror is optional, and triangulates the front hoop.

I used to think that Micah had too much cage, and that we would not be able to get the weight down beacuse of it. Those words actually tasted good once I ate them.

I am glad nobody got hurt, and that we all can learn that there is no such thing as too much cage. Can a soldier have too much armor? That question is answered when I look at my 2 little girls and wonder how they would answer that question.

macstang
08-20-2006, 11:28 PM
The new car already has a cage.

I just need to swap engines and trannies, change all springs shocks, struts, brakes.

also have to add a seat, battery box, PHB, add a few gages, and paint and decals.

All that and travel for work. Last weekend, I went to Road Atlanta, and next weekend, Ill be in Nashville.

macstang
08-23-2006, 10:29 AM
Parked the old car for good Sunday. Will make a good race car someday for someone with time to spend.

Picked up the new car Monday.

New shaved Toyos came in yesterday.

Worked on the car until late last night/this morning.

pics posted soon

macstang
08-27-2006, 12:55 AM
I posted pics of the new car on the gallery.

Here it is.....

http://www.aicmctexas.com/gallery/d/9593-2/cmc44+007.jpg

Ha ha, just kidding. The pics are there for real.

This Friday, I test the car at Barber.

mitchntx
08-27-2006, 05:47 AM
Inspirational ...

micah
09-02-2006, 08:44 AM
Jerry finished with all the major work this morning, call loaded on trailor @ 0100. Left the house @ 0430 taking the car to Barber in Birmingham,AL for shakedown.

marshall_mosty
09-03-2006, 12:57 PM
Jerry really busted his tail to get CMC44 back on track... makes a tranny rebuild or a rewire job look like a kindergarden project.

Way to go guys.

macstang
09-03-2006, 10:10 PM
Thanks Marshall.

Just got back from the Mustang Club of America 30th ann. stampede at Barber Motorsports Park. What an amazing track! NASA-SE will be opening their season there in February next year.

The new 44 runs well, handles well, and looks like sh....

I do have a pretty good size oil leak to fix though, so my Labor day will be spent under the car. Should be getting shot black tues AM, leave for nats Wed AM.

http://www.aicmctexas.com/gallery/d/9698-2/DSCN4518.JPG

Boudy
09-04-2006, 08:06 PM
Great Job! Glad to see the new 44 in action.

Boudy

michaelmosty
09-05-2006, 11:00 AM
Awesome Job!!!! It's great to see #44 already back on track!!!! :D

micah
09-05-2006, 11:15 PM
at jerry's house,few minor things to finish on 44,she all but complete.Jerry shot her black @ 5pm waiting to dry. finish car and load out and leave for mid-o tomarrow.

macstang
09-06-2006, 01:03 AM
Its great to be back on track.

I think the new car is better than the old car, but I have a biased opinion.

Leaving for Nats tomorrow, started the day like this:

http://www.aicmctexas.com/gallery/d/10196-2/DSCN4589.JPG

ended the day like this:

http://www.aicmctexas.com/gallery/d/10214-2/DSCN4595.JPG

See yall in Ohio

mitchntx
09-06-2006, 04:27 AM
You guys are animals.

Amazing job, there guys.

NASA13
09-06-2006, 11:12 AM
Hell yeah the new car is better.
Amazing job Jerry. I wish I could have helped you put it together. I am in Spartanburg South Carolina. I will be in Baton Rouge this afternoon though.Stop by the airport and show it off.
Go kick ass.

Todd Covini
09-07-2006, 01:52 AM
Very cool!!! I don't know how you guys do it!
(lose the Reuth-style CMC windshield banner though before nationals....you guys have been in the military...we've got to look uniform!!!)

See you in Ohio!!!

-=- Todd

macstang
09-07-2006, 12:08 PM
still in MS.took 44 around the block and found oil leak just before time to put it on the trailor. back to the garage. canton pans are awesome as long as you dont try to change the gaskets with the engine still in the car. very,very long night. finishing the load out,take 44 back around the block load her up then hit the hwy. BTW does anyone have any headlight covers for foxes that they could bring to nats?

macstang
09-07-2006, 12:12 PM
todd i'll need one of those windshield hp,tq stickers for the windshield. adam can you bring jerry and i some cmc patches? new logbook? we'll have to do annual tech at nats.

Waco Racer
09-07-2006, 01:26 PM
The logbook can be issued by the Nationals tech staff starting Wednesday. If you are going to test and want a logbook before Wednesday, I can make some calls and arrange for that to happen.

macstang
09-07-2006, 05:12 PM
about to get on the road. jerry is driving strait to indy for military duty.i'll be driving straight to mid-o down load car do comp school, doubt i'll retain very much info. won't make drivers meeting hope they let me on track, if they don't i'll still get some answers and info before yall get up. just post some questions yall want me to ask and i'll try and get answers. clifton if i need a logbook to test i'll need to get teched, i'm registered for time on tues. thanks micah

Todd Covini
09-08-2006, 09:58 AM
My understanding is that you won't need tech/logbook for the Tues. track day. (per Cohn on the Nationals forum.)

I have logbooks and I'm sure the Tech Officials there can conduct your annual.

Jerry...I have a few extra boxes of Fox headlight covers and will bring one for you but it's going to cost you a few beers!!!

We'll talk from the road!

-=- Todd

GlennCMC70
09-08-2006, 10:28 AM
please bring my 2 "Winner" stickers you owe me from TWS.

Adam, if you have any - bring them. Todd was out @ TWS.

jeffburch
09-08-2006, 03:02 PM
Somebody cleaned 'em both out!
8)

jb

CMC17
09-08-2006, 04:48 PM
I've cornered the market on Winner stickers.

BTW.. I'm missing two of 'em!!!

You guys won't have it so easy next season. :D

mitchntx
09-08-2006, 10:34 PM

Still living in 04 and 05 are we Eric?

But you are right ... several more F-Cars are in the wings.

David Love AI27
09-08-2006, 11:10 PM
I have a few extra boxes of Fox headlight covers and will bring one for you but it's going to cost you a few beers!!!

-=- Todd

Got beer, need covers

David Love AI27
09-08-2006, 11:12 PM

did you get "Bud Pole Award" sticker?

GlennCMC70
09-08-2006, 11:45 PM

did you get "Bud Pole Award" sticker?

the red one w/ the green sticky on the front? no, send two more! :wink:

CMC17
09-10-2006, 09:43 AM

Still living in 04 and 05 are we Eric?

But you are right ... several more F-Cars are in the wings.

The little guy that keeps pointing up in the sky yelling "zzzzeeeplane boss zeeeplane" told me so.

macstang
09-11-2006, 10:52 AM
Graphics on, car ready to run. Micah tested the car on Mid Ohio track Friday.
http://www.aicmctexas.com/gallery/d/10322-2/DSCN4610_001.JPG