PDA

View Full Version : Learning From Data

Trublu
03-26-2013, 06:52 AM
I'm using a G2X data logger and am interested in sharing some files of different tracks to overlay the data with goal of learning where on the track I can do better in comparrison to other CMC drivers. Anyone using a G2X that might be interested?

Pranav
03-28-2013, 08:15 AM
I've got the IQ3 in my car, just need to finish setting it up (moving the GPS antenna to the roof so it works) and figuring out how to use the datalogging. Hopefully I'll get it going by TWS, but yes I'd be happy to start sharing files with you to see where I'm losing time! I'm assuming despite the different models, I believe we should be using the same Racepak software...

Trublu
03-28-2013, 08:25 AM
Yes the Racepack software should be the same, what do you think the best way to share (email, Dropbox,.....) the files are small?

I'm pretty new to the software but I've found the "theoretical best lap" function to be very helpful. It breaks the track into segments and takes your fastest time in each segment to give the theoretical fastest lap. For me it helps focus on consistency as it is showing what you can do in your car on a specific track with the current car set up. It can be a bit demoralizing at first;)

michaelmosty
03-28-2013, 08:38 AM
Hopefully we can start using the data logging boxes again that Al had last year. If they end up getting data from my car, I'd definitely be good w/ sharing it with anyone interested.

The theoretical best lap data is indeed interesting.

kbrewmr2
03-28-2013, 09:09 AM
You're actually able to get anything useful out of a G2X? Wow!!

Trublu
03-28-2013, 10:08 AM
Take your point G2X isn't the most user friendly (i aquired a used system so i was happy to learn for the cost) but I've found using the lateral and longitudinal accelerations along with MPH the best components of data to use as well as the theoretical best lap. The G Force comparison graph can be used to see max total G and I've roughly estimated if I'm aiming to have combined lat and long G at around 1.3g then I'm approaching the traction limits of the RA1 tires.

This is the link to the datalink software download http://racepak.com/downloads/datalink/v411/DataLinkII_v4.1.1.exe

AllZWay
03-28-2013, 10:56 AM
I just use my butt-o-meter....but sometimes it needs to be recalibrated.

kbrewmr2
03-28-2013, 11:49 AM
I look at the shapes of the traces as well, but from a Traqmate. Luckily I only borrowed a G2X so I didn't have anything invested in that mistake. Hopefully their software is better than it was circa 2006 as well.

There are some great books out there that can teach you how to read the shapes of the traces and diagnose what is going wrong (driver, car, setup, etc). The Competition Car Data Logging Manual is the one I'm currently neck-deep in. I've heard good things about Making Sense of Squiggly Lines as well.

Just wait until one of the trophy queens starts using data - that'll force the rest of them to do it, and then you mid pack slackers will have even more work to do :)

AllZWay
03-28-2013, 01:20 PM
BTW.... In many of our HPDE Group 3 meetings, profiessional driver Eric Foss often teaches a class on reading and using data. Anyone can attend that is interested... We don't usually know the schedule with a lot of notice though.

He is so good at looking at the data graphs, that just from the shape of the bell curve he can tell you what turn it is on the track without looking at the entire map.

He also driver coaches if anyone is interested in hiring him for a test day or even a race day and he will use his data acquisition tools to show you how to get faster.

I am only using him as an example of driver coaching, since he does teach class for us many times per year for free.

http://ericfossracing.com/driver-coaching/

BryanL
03-28-2013, 02:33 PM
I just use my butt-o-meter....but sometimes it needs to be recalibrated.

Wel, you are in luck. Frank will be at tws and could recalibrate your butt-you can use my motul since it smells good and doesn't break down.

cobra132
03-29-2013, 06:30 AM
That is one butt-o-meter that does not need recalibration. He already has everyone "behind" him.