PDA

View Full Version : Anyone towing with an F-150?

MikeS
03-31-2013, 08:58 PM
May replace the Excursion. It's for sale, anyway, if anyone wants to take a look at it at TWS.

It looks like the F-150 has come much closer in towing capacity and overall dimensions to the Superduty trucks. And it seems it would be a better daily driver than a Superduty.

Anyone towing with the F-150? My trailer is an open Featherlite with a box. Total weight with car and gear is probably 6K-6500 lbs. Though if I had to guess I'd say that I'll get an enclosed trailer at some point.

What I like about the Excursion is that I can barely tell I've got a load behind it. Seems the F-150 would be less likely to give me that feeling, no?

HoustonNW
03-31-2013, 10:11 PM
Are you looking at new or almost new? The new F150 with the ecoboost V6 should pull that combination without any strain at all. The engine is rated at 420lb-ft at 2500 rpm, that is diesel torque! Just for comparison the 5.0 is 380 @ 4250 and the 6.2 is 435 @ 4500.

I wish they would bring out a bigger version and I would dump this POS Powerstroke in a heartbeat!

Wade
04-01-2013, 07:59 AM
I tow with a 2004 F150 FX4. It has the 5.4L 3 valve and 4 speed auto. I have been very happy with it towing for the last 4 years. I also daily drive it. BUT...You can definitely tell that you are loaded when you have a race car back there. I have a steel rollback trailer, CMC car, and all of the gear, so I am probably pretty close to the load that you estimated. If it is very flat, I will use cruise, but most of the time I regulate the throttle going up and down hills to try to keep the transmission from constantly going into and out of overdrive. I don't like it shifting all the time, and am told that process generates a lot of heat and is bad for the transmission.

Jeff Tilton (CMC35) and I often caravan to events. He has an Ecoboost F150 and I know that he just sets the cruise and leaves it. When in tow/haul mode, his truck regulates the boost rather than always shifting. I'd probably opt for this if I was buying a new one.

edrock96GT
04-01-2013, 08:39 AM
I have a 2005 FX4, 5.4L 3V, like Wade's. It definitely tows with no problem.

Waco Racer
04-01-2013, 08:58 AM
I pulled a 8k travel trailer with a truck similar to Wade and Eddie. It wasn't ideal but it did the job. A newer truck should do better. If you don't have one, consider a load leveling hitch.

Waco Racer
04-01-2013, 08:59 AM
Are you looking at new or almost new? The new F150 with the ecoboost V6 should pull that combination without any strain at all. The engine is rated at 420lb-ft at 2500 rpm, that is diesel torque! Just for comparison the 5.0 is 380 @ 4250 and the 6.2 is 435 @ 4500.

I wish they would bring out a bigger version and I would dump this POS Powerstroke in a heartbeat!

My diesel truck has 650lb of torque ;-)

BlueFirePony
04-01-2013, 09:20 AM
Anyone towing with the F-150? My trailer is an open Featherlite with a box. Total weight with car and gear is probably 6K-6500 lbs. Though if I had to guess I'd say that I'll get an enclosed trailer at some point.

What I like about the Excursion is that I can barely tell I've got a load behind it. Seems the F-150 would be less likely to give me that feeling, no?
Our 4.6 2008 F150 has been good with our heavy ass car and gear with open trailer. It would struggle with much more weight though.
Dec get the larger engine package.

edrock96GT
04-01-2013, 09:29 AM
FWIW, Friday before last, I watched an ecoboost F150 run a 13.99 at Little River Dragway :D

kbrewmr2
04-01-2013, 10:36 AM
Chassis is what will make the difference in towing feel, engines just make noise and blow up if you push them too hard but otherwise bfd. Open trailer is likely to not push around an F150 very bad though. Take the trailer with you for a test drive...

BTW - Specs on the Excursion (year, miles, engine)? I've got a friend that's looking.

BryanL
04-01-2013, 11:57 AM
If you are going to get an enclosed then I would keep the Excursion. I don't recommend towing an enclosed with a 1/2 ton. If you are going to stick with your Featherlite then you will be fine with the F-150 and will probably enjoy the better ride. Why get rid of the Excursion though? Is it a 7.3? If you get rid of your Featherlite let me know.

Suck fumes
04-01-2013, 12:00 PM
I go to all the ford dealers for work on a daily basis and I can tell you the ecoboost is bad ass! You can also get the F150 with the 6.2L motor or at least you used to, not sure if they still offer it but I know the ecoboost would pull a flat bed no problem. If you had a 20-24ft enclosed trailer it might struggle a little but should still be able to pull it. Just put airbags on the rear suspension so it'll stay more level.

Suck fumes
04-01-2013, 12:06 PM
I've been towing my 20ft enclosed trailer with my 5.3L half ton suburban for years but it does struggle to go and stop! The stopping thing is kinda scary. I had to upgrade the tranny cooler to the bigger truck unit though to keep it under 200deg. I have airbags but even with those they still sag closer to the ground than I like. After seeing Allfords trailer though I put mine up for sale so I can get one like his haha. Since it's a 24ft one I don't know if the suburban could pull it. Guess ill find out!

MikeS
04-01-2013, 12:32 PM
BTW - Specs on the Excursion (year, miles, engine)? I've got a friend that's looking.

Ex is a 2003 7.3L diesel 4x4 with about 120K miles. Mechanically it's top notch. There are some blemishes here and there on the outside and inside but all in all it's well above average for this truck. Tires are Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor load class E with <15K miles on them. Truck needs nothing, just fill 'er up and drive.

Mods include 4" stainless exhaust, Hellwig anti-sway bar, DP Tuner for mileage and power.

On the block only because I'd like a newer truck.

I think it's worth about $18K, mostly due to the desirable 7.3L diesel. I've seen specimens with 150K+ miles with that engine going for more.

PM if you'd like my contact info to pass on to your friend.

MikeS
04-01-2013, 12:34 PM
For the record, I'm leaning toward an F-350 diesel. With a little less option content (XLT trim vs Lariat trim), it's maybe 1/3 more $ than an F-150.

MikeS
04-01-2013, 12:39 PM
If you are going to get an enclosed then I would keep the Excursion. I don't recommend towing an enclosed with a 1/2 ton. If you are going to stick with your Featherlite then you will be fine with the F-150 and will probably enjoy the better ride. Why get rid of the Excursion though? Is it a 7.3? If you get rid of your Featherlite let me know.

I'd be willing to consider a trade of the Featherlite for a nice 24' or greater enclosed, plus or minus cash. The reason I got the Featherlite in the first place is that I thought it'd fit in my garage. It does, but with about an inch on either side to spare so it's a pain in the ass to take in and out, so now I'm storing it at a storage unit place. If I have to do that anyway, might as well have the size of an enclosed.

The Featherlite I have is this one: http://www.fthr.com/bumper-pull-car-trailers/model3109-car-trailer/ with the box and winch.

PM if you have any suggestions on a trade.

kbrewmr2
04-01-2013, 01:08 PM
Passed info along and will report back. Guy is out of CT, but willing to travel for the perfect specimen.

HoustonNW
04-01-2013, 05:13 PM
For the record, I'm leaning toward an F-350 diesel. With a little less option content (XLT trim vs Lariat trim), it's maybe 1/3 more $ than an F-150.

I have a true love/hate relationship with my 2010 F-250 Powerstroke. I love the way it pulls my 11K lb. trailer but I hate the whole diesel fuel mess.

The DPF (diesel particulate filter) needs cleaned about every 250 miles. Ford's "better idea" was to inject fuel into the cylinder during the exhaust stroke. Some of the fuel gets past the rings and it is within spec to have an extra quart of oil when you change it. This also requires 5K mile oil changes at 15 quarts each.

Besides that you've got the whole thing about water in the fuel. You have to drain the fuel filter under the truck once a month and hope no water gets past it to the high pressure fuel pump on the engine. Any sign of water in the system and Ford will not warranty it.

Give me a 5.0 or 6.2 liter ecoboost with about 600lb-ft of torque and I would never look back!

MikeS
04-01-2013, 08:49 PM
Assuming the story about the DPF is an exaggeration. I have read about the fuel filter.

Suck fumes
04-01-2013, 10:31 PM
Get a DPF delete kit from Bill Agha. Www.dieselstorm.com. Problem solved! He's in Georgetown by the way. Pretty convenient! If you guys ever need parts or diesel performance stuff he is THE MAN for that. Known him for years, great guy! He sells all the filter kits, fuel upgrade systems etc. His stuff makes your truck a lot more reliable and easier to drive!

AI#97
04-03-2013, 06:17 PM

I second Brian's input.

Any decent 24' enclosed with car and gear is going to weigh in around 10k lbs unless you get an aluminum one. However, weight isn't the only issue, wind resistance is the killer. You will burn a 1/2 ton ecoboost up. You would be better off getting a 6.2L or a Dodge with the Hemi and I even towed our steel 24' trailer with our 07' 6.2L escalade. It works, but it's not a great solution as oil and trans temps were pretty high. We now tow our 24' with Misty's 2010 Ram and it's borderline but we aren't going cross country. I just got an 08 2500 diesel for the 28' trailer we now have.

It's all about physics. That 10k # load is going to manhandle your 5200lb 1/2 ton truck on it's passenger truck tires. I'd also venture a guess mpg while towing will be single digit. Diesel is a PITA overall for a daily but doable. It's just a step up in maintenance costs on everything...but it will get the job done so much easier.

Now as for the Fords....I wouldn't take one if you gave it to me. I found a clean used Megacab dodge and just did 2000 miles to Georgia and back with the trailer on it on the way home. fantastic is all I can say and it's stock. It's about to get a programmer and delete kit that is sitting in the garage....I just need to get other projects done first! LOL!

snakbitn
04-04-2013, 06:25 PM
I've got a 2012 ecoboost 4x4 with the heavy tow package.It pulls and stops my 9500lbs 24ft enclosed trailer like a dream.I put air bags on it to level it out.Now for the bad part,with the p tires that come on it is bullshit.It needs 10 ply tires and will have them soon.It gets around 9 or 10 mpg doing 75mph.The trailer does move around a good bit.We normally pull with a 2002 8.1 liter chevy dually which is stable at what ever speed you want to pull at.But as far as power,the ecoboost will hands down out pull it.The water and trans temp is not a problem.The highest trans temp was 204*

Robert

kbrewmr2
04-04-2013, 07:27 PM
9 or 10 at 75mph? daaaaannnngggg that sucks

Rob Liebbe
04-05-2013, 10:20 AM
9 or 10 at 75mph? daaaaannnngggg that sucks

My V-10 gas Class C motorhome gets 7 mpg pretty much at any speed with any load. It's all about wind resistance. In case we are having a bad gas mileage war.

ShadowBolt
04-05-2013, 01:01 PM
My V-10 gas Class C motorhome gets 7 mpg pretty much at any speed with any load. It's all about wind resistance. In case we are having a bad gas mileage war.

My gas motorhome towing the race car and running the generator used to get 5.5 MPG.

JJ

snakbitn
04-05-2013, 02:40 PM
The daully only gets 8mpg.No matter what you pull with,it's damn hard to beat a daul wheeled truck.You can pass tractor trailers and the car trailer doesn't move even at 90mph which has happened a few times.We use the f150 when we have to but normally we use the daully.

Robert

kbrewmr2
04-05-2013, 03:44 PM
and here I was thinking I was the only jackass that towed at 85 (and sometimes accidentally higher). Open trailer, '08 Tundra 5.7L, 13-15mpg towing at 10mph over...

Rob Liebbe
04-05-2013, 04:47 PM
and here I was thinking I was the only jackass that towed at 85 (and sometimes accidentally higher). Open trailer, '08 Tundra 5.7L, 13-15mpg towing at 10mph over...

Yeah, but you're towing half a car and probably on a Radio Flyer little red wagon. :D

marshall_mosty
04-05-2013, 07:59 PM
'07 Tahoe 5.3L and I get 11mpg at 75mph with an open trailer.... Since we're whipping them out to compare. :)

MikeP99Z
04-05-2013, 11:41 PM
My car gets awesome gas mileage when it's towed.

kbrewmr2
04-08-2013, 09:08 AM
Yeah, but you're towing half a car and probably on a Radio Flyer little red wagon. :D
1/3rd a car and a 4'x8' utility trailer - get it right!! Heh!

(trailer could easily do a CMC car, and I'm only ~500lbs less car than most you guys)

Patterson wins the thread

AllZWay
04-08-2013, 09:20 AM
My 2500HD pulls my open trailer and Camaro easily at any speed up to 90+.....but the negative is that the faster you tow the worse the mileage and it isn't good even at 65-70mph. It averages around 9-11mpg towing.

snakbitn
04-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Ken's lying his ass off.I saw him at RA one time pull his car out of his front pocket.Damn foreign cars.

Robert