PDA

View Full Version : Fuel System

donovan
04-23-2013, 11:07 AM
Everything new from Tank to fuel rails... and I'm sending the injectors off to be cleaned and flow tested.
It should be good to go after all this...

RichardP
04-23-2013, 11:42 AM
Everything new from Tank to fuel rails...

Let me know how the tank works out for you. I bought one of the replacement tanks for my car after the baffling inside came loose and took out the fuel pump assembly. The new tank was cheap and looked great but the baffling setup inside was different. The car was undrivable on track at anything less than 1/2 full.

I'm currently running a crunched up junk yard tank that has had the stock baffling re-secured to the bottom of the tank. I'd really like a new tank that works...

Richard P.

marshall_mosty
04-23-2013, 01:49 PM
Let me know how the tank works out for you. I bought one of the replacement tanks for my car after the baffling inside came loose and took out the fuel pump assembly. The new tank was cheap and looked great but the baffling setup inside was different. The car was undrivable on track at anything less than 1/2 full.

I'm currently running a crunched up junk yard tank that has had the stock baffling re-secured to the bottom of the tank. I'd really like a new tank that works...

Richard P.

Richard,
I'm in the same boat. I have an O'Reilley's tank and it starves with 5 gallons still left in it... Sucks to only have 10 gallons at your disposal...

Maybe I need to buy another new one, cut it apart, bond a fuel cell "box" to the bottom and run with that...

donovan
04-23-2013, 05:36 PM
I remembered our conversation about your tank when my stock baffel came loose a few years back. I was able to drill holes and rivet the baffel in place and then seal up the rivets.

I looked several places for tanks, everyone has the same cheapo overseas tank for $99 to $109...
I found a tank labeled Premium and made in Canada by Spectra, it was only $15 more. The baffeling looked great when I looked in there, but did not study it hard. I will pull my stock tank and compare the two in a couple days.

DD

Tank I ordered: Summit Part Number SGT-F12B

edit - Looks like this might be the same one that Autozone and O'reilys is not stocking... not sure if its the same one you had or not.

Here is a pic of the baffel

donovan
04-23-2013, 06:15 PM
Here is the pic

donovan
04-24-2013, 06:55 PM
My stock tank baffle...

While draining the tank with a transfer pump, I put the hose in the baffle... it was sucking it dry faster than it would feed into the baffle... interesting...

cobra132
04-25-2013, 07:04 AM
Consider putting the fuel pump/pick-up in a small isolation tank. Should allow you to get close to empty.

donovan
04-25-2013, 09:57 PM
I've been looking at options, I might sump the new tank. I'm also looking at other options, Aeromotive tanks, fuel cells...

I would prefer keeping it as stock as possible, and simple... It's not looking like that's an option though.

AI#97
04-26-2013, 08:36 AM
O3 to 04 cobra tanks have a great baffle setup but pump is in different place. Have run mine down to about 1.5 gallons before.

AI#97
05-31-2013, 03:11 PM
My stock tank baffle...

While draining the tank with a transfer pump, I put the hose in the baffle... it was sucking it dry faster than it would feed into the baffle... interesting...

I have also installed a kit in an e46 M3 with saddle tanks that has a secondary fuel pump that transfers fuel from the opposite saddle tank and pours it right into the baffle for the primary pump. Very simple setup that could draw from the main area of the tank and fill the baffle....voila, saves the old tank and solves your problem. A simple walbro 155 would work just fine if you can setup the pickup to work. Another option would be to buy a spot welder from harbor freight, disassemble it and spot weld your own baffle into the new tank. Then rent that sucker to your fellow Fox buddies to make their own.