PDA

View Full Version : Alcon Contingency

Trublu
05-15-2013, 03:42 PM
If you haven't checked out the details of the Alcon contingency program recently released to NASA it's worth a look. Here's the nitty gritty:

$1 in Alcon credit per regional point accumulated (500 points = $500 credit)

Don't have to use their products but they do supply a range of commonly used race pads in addition to other brake items

Display 3 decals

Register online

edrock96GT
05-16-2013, 07:08 AM
1 point= $1 up to a cap of 20% off a part.

Waiting for them to make mustang brakes before I jump on this one.

Speaking of mustang brakes, since apparently my Brembo kit (stock 2000 cobra R) is no longer the new hotness I am having a hard time finding replacement rotors. I have read that stock 94-04 cobra rotors are the same dimensions, was wondering if anyone has confirmed this.

ShadowBolt
05-16-2013, 08:45 AM
I have read that stock 94-04 cobra rotors are the same dimensions, was wondering if anyone has confirmed this.

Yes. Your rotors are 1.1" thick just like the stockers. The aftermarket Stoptech, Brembo, Wilwood kits are 1.25" thick. This difference (alonge with the floating rotors) is supposed to be what makes them last so long.

JJ

Trublu
05-16-2013, 11:44 AM

Speaking of mustang brakes, since apparently my Brembo kit (stock 2000 cobra R) is no longer the new hotness I am having a hard time finding replacement rotors. I have read that stock 94-04 cobra rotors are the same dimensions, was wondering if anyone has confirmed this.

I've been emailing back and forth with Alcon and they are working on a class specific solution for CMC

GlennCMC70
05-16-2013, 02:19 PM
I've been emailing back and forth with Alcon and they are working on a class specific solution for CMC

Now you have my attention!

ShadowBolt
05-16-2013, 03:54 PM

So was PFC but they are one screwed up company. Before I purchased the Stoptech kit I tried to contact them and then I ask AJ do try. They will not even return an e-mail or phone call to him.

JJ

BryanL
05-16-2013, 04:29 PM
I didn't think they made a caliper that was even close to our rules limit?

edrock96GT
05-16-2013, 05:19 PM
Yes. Your rotors are 1.1" thick just like the stockers. The aftermarket Stoptech, Brembo, Wilwood kits are 1.25" thick. This difference (alonge with the floating rotors) is supposed to be what makes them last so long.

JJ

I found this site and ordered the HD set. According to them, they are all the same as well. Never heard of this company before but if they have Dean Martin's car on the website...they must be good....?

http://www.fulltiltboogieracing.com/sn95brakeparts.htm

Trublu
05-16-2013, 08:12 PM
Now you have my attention!

The sales guy is a 15 year NASA veteran so I think he understands where we are coming from. The reason they have established the contingency program is to become a player in the amateur racing market, currently they mainly support pro racing and boy racers. I emailed him the section of the rules about brakes and he is running it by the engineering folks to see what they can come up with.

Suck fumes
05-16-2013, 08:59 PM
Can we run a two piece rotor in the back??

Wade
05-16-2013, 09:03 PM
7.32.8 Braking systems shall conform to the following specifications:
1. The one piece front or rear hub with rotor may be replaced with a separate hub and rotor or separate hub, rotor hat and rotor.
2. Hat material may be aluminum.
3. Rotors shall be cast iron only and may be vented. No cross drilling or slotting is allowed.

Keep in mind that Eddie is running AI, so some parts may work for him, but not CMC.

GlennCMC70
05-16-2013, 09:15 PM
Can we run a two piece rotor in the back??

Yes.

AI#97
05-21-2013, 10:33 PM

Eddie, Alcon makes a 14" kit for the grand am series. It's $4500. You would need to go to 18's for sure. If you can find it, the Roush/Alcon kit that came on the roush stage 3's is a great 14" kit and can fit under some 17" wheels. I found a new set on ebay a while back and my 95R's clear them as well as my Jongbloeds. No 18's required but I doubt they will give contingency on those. The kit uses the stoptech 14" rotor and hat with no modifications.

As for the brembo kit, yes, Vatozone 97-03 cobra rotors work. There are rebuild kits for the 2000R calipers which need to be done about every two years but at some point, you will need to upgrade to something like the stoptechs.

Suck fumes
05-22-2013, 02:06 PM
Anyone make a two piece rear rotor that isn't slotted on the surface? Or is that legal?

edrock96GT
05-22-2013, 05:22 PM
Anyone make a two piece rear rotor that isn't slotted on the surface? Or is that legal?

Full tilt boogie, the place I linked in this thread says something about that you can special order the rotors to not be slotted.

Suck fumes
05-22-2013, 07:02 PM
Cool. I wish they were cheaper! They are the most expensive of any of the 4 that I have seen.

AI#97
05-22-2013, 09:59 PM
Cool. I wish they were cheaper! They are the most expensive of any of the 4 that I have seen.

you could probably build something from coleman on the cheap. Get hats from TCE and modify your stock brackets to line up. Alcon made some 13" vented rears that used brackets and stock calipers, but they are slotted and are one piece. I have two sets and will eventually have to make a 2pc setup but not sure you can get them anymore.

SN95 stuff is getting damn hard to find. Might as well start looking into retrofitting the S197 stuff onto your cars. Axle end brackets and a trip to vatozone should net you all the parts, just need to verify they are legal. You are more likely to find S197 2pc rotors first.