PDA

View Full Version : Front Lower control arm bushings/bearing

ShadowBolt
05-29-2013, 03:39 PM
I know Boudy used to make and sell a very good unit. Does anyone have the prints for them? I can have some made and will sell to everyone interested at my cost. Robert thinks he has some but has no idea where they are. I know a few here have these units in their Mustangs now. Anyone have a copy of the print?

JJ

ShadowBolt
05-30-2013, 07:39 AM
Okay so I received the "prints" from three different people. Also Chuck Penny is working on a design. I can't make anything from what was sent to me (many missing dimensions). I really need a sample. Does anyone have an old one or a set sitting around that I could reverse engineer? Maybe the Global West unit is just as good? Maybe it's not worth all this? I will try to talk to Robert later today. I think I remember that he said installing his bushing correctly was a bitch and he had some kind of tool to do it with........... Were the Argent Labs units offset?

When I purchased the 55 Tony said in the add that it had Delrin bushing but like so many things in the add it was not true. Of course he said he just made a mistake and copied his last car ad and forgot to change this and a few other things. Of course that was after I had paid for it. Looks like the 55 has stock rubber bushings. They look good but I can push them in with a finger and I assume I could not if they were made from Poly.

JJ

Rob Liebbe
05-30-2013, 08:55 AM
Keep the rubber bushings. You don't need to get faster.

Additionally, Jeff Tilton found these mono-ball bushings. Prices is around $75 per set, two sets needed to do the car.

http://www.circletracksupply.com/mono-ball-lower-control-arm-bushings.html

I also remember that installation was difficult. I seem to recall making a long pin or bolt (maybe two of them) of slightly smaller diameter than the control arm bolt and ground to a taper at one end. This made it a lot easier to align/install everything intially. Once that was done, I pushed the pin back out with the control arm bolt.

michaelmosty
05-30-2013, 09:13 AM
Boudy's bushings were forward offset. There were specific steel spacers that were cut to length to get the exact forward offset.
I remember seeing a printout sheet in one of my parts / tool boxes during the move. I'll try to track it down this weekend.

Rob Liebbe
05-30-2013, 09:16 AM
Boudy's bushings were forward offset. There were specific steel spacers that were cut to length to get the exact forward offset.
I remember seeing a printout sheet in one of my parts / tool boxes during the move. I'll try to track it down this weekend.

I have sent a copy to Jerry already.

ShadowBolt
05-30-2013, 10:44 AM
I have sent a copy to Jerry already.

If we go to all this trouble are we any better off than the Global West Delrin units?

JJ

Rob Liebbe
05-30-2013, 03:02 PM
If we go to all this trouble are we any better off than the Global West Delrin units?

JJ

I think the mono-ball bearings are more durable and have no flex. I really liked them on my Mustang and on Randy's Camaro.

ShadowBolt
05-30-2013, 03:22 PM
I think the mono-ball bearings are more durable and have no flex. I really liked them on my Mustang and on Randy's Camaro.

And last time I talked to Robert he thought he still had some but did not have time to look. He is in OK most of the time.

Jerry

BryanL
05-30-2013, 05:12 PM
Jerry-seems like you are really starting to try and make the car better in an effort to stay in my rearview mirror. Set realistic expectations wo you won't be too disappointed at Hallett when all your efforts are of no help in keeping up with me. While you are busy racing for setups on the internet I'm in the garage making my car faster. Re-inforced K member is getting installed tonight-car should be much better with tight bolts on the control arms and a good alignment. Also, I found why I think my car may have been down on power-front 02 sensor wires were burned up from the exhaust gasket donut that let go at Cresson-pretty sure it's the front o2's that make a difference in the a/f.

Rsmith350
05-30-2013, 06:01 PM
pretty sure it's the front o2's that make a difference in the a/f.

Yup!

ShadowBolt
05-30-2013, 07:45 PM
Jerry-seems like you are really starting to try and make the car better in an effort to stay in my rearview mirror. Set realistic expectations wo you won't be too disappointed at Hallett when all your efforts are of no help in keeping up with me. While you are busy racing for setups on the internet I'm in the garage making my car faster. Re-inforced K member is getting installed tonight-car should be much better with tight bolts on the control arms and a good alignment. Also, I found why I think my car may have been down on power-front 02 sensor wires were burned up from the exhaust gasket donut that let go at Cresson-pretty sure it's the front o2's that make a difference in the a/f.

I'm terrified!

JJ

rleng1
05-30-2013, 08:02 PM

WHAT!! I got Mustang parts on my Camaro??
No wonder it wants to off track with Liebbe behind the wheel.
Let's go Hallet and the Summer Shootout!!

Al Fernandez
06-07-2013, 06:33 PM
Doesnt the LS1 go open loop when you're wide open throttle?

edrock96GT
06-09-2013, 01:44 PM
Doesnt the LS1 go open loop when you're wide open throttle?

I know ours does. In fact, my tuner disabled them in the PCM since once it goes into open loop it just uses preset fuel tables. Now I don't even have mine connected. The important thing in that respect is the MAF working properly.

GlennCMC70
06-09-2013, 11:27 PM
The GM use the O2's durring open loop, but only to see how much fuel is needed for the next open loop moment. There is no fuel adjustments made during open loop, it jjst reads them and makes adjustments for next time.