PDA

View Full Version : Shoe adhesives?!

AI#97
06-16-2013, 05:45 PM
Some you guys are cheap bastards like me so I will see if any of you have had any luck with this. We have been murdering driving shoes lately from the heat in the foot well. I think we have 3 or 4 pair now that still have life left in them, but the sole has separated from the shoe body due to lack of quality glue. I mean seriously, the prices we pay for some of these RACING shoes, they should last more than one event right?!

I have researched shoe goo and it says it has a working temp range after cure of -40F to 150F. Likely not going to work any better than what we have.

What have any of you tried and had success with that sticks well and remains pliable or doesn't become uncomfortable.

Funny thing about this has been the cheapest shoes I have ever bought have lasted the longest. The expensive ones last the shortest...????

Anyway, post up what you have had good luck with.

Thanks!

ShadowBolt
06-16-2013, 06:57 PM
Some you guys are cheap bastards like me so I will see if any of you have had any luck with this. We have been murdering driving shoes lately from the heat in the foot well. I think we have 3 or 4 pair now that still have life left in them, but the sole has separated from the shoe body due to lack of quality glue. I mean seriously, the prices we pay for some of these RACING shoes, they should last more than one event right?!

I have researched shoe goo and it says it has a working temp range after cure of -40F to 150F. Likely not going to work any better than what we have.

What have any of you tried and had success with that sticks well and remains pliable or doesn't become uncomfortable.

Funny thing about this has been the cheapest shoes I have ever bought have lasted the longest. The expensive ones last the shortest...????

Anyway, post up what you have had good luck with.

Thanks!

Gorilla snot (3M 8001). It works great! It is used as a gasket adhesive but if you apply it to both surfaces, let them dry to touch, then stick them together it will fix your shoes. It's really contact cement in a tube. Make sure you are lined up before you push it together because it sticks like a mofo.

JJ

Suck fumes
06-16-2013, 08:43 PM
Sabelt shoes I have found last the longest and stay together. Not sure I would want to put non fire proof glue on my shoes that will protect my feet from burning. Put heat shielding on the floor board both under the car and in the foot well. Plus wear a boot heat shield also. G force makes them for $20

BlueFirePony
06-16-2013, 11:26 PM
Put heat shielding on the floor board both under the car and in the foot well. Plus wear a boot heat shield also.
G force makes them for $20
This ^
Glue might be fine at the temp but your foot won't.

marshall_mosty
06-17-2013, 12:24 AM
I glued a pair of old Bell shoes with Shoe Goo. Worked really well, couldn't tell any difference wearing them, but it WILL burn. I tried it with a propane torch and it didn't self extinguish. Now, if your car was on fire and you got out, you could easily extinguish what was burning on the outside of the shoe and the thermal insolation that still is in the shoe (regardless of adhesive) will protect your feet enough.

AI#97
06-17-2013, 05:48 AM
Sabelt shoes I have found last the longest and stay together. Not sure I would want to put non fire proof glue on my shoes that will protect my feet from burning. Put heat shielding on the floor board both under the car and in the foot well. Plus wear a boot heat shield also. G force makes them for $20

Somewhat already done. Short of nasa grade insulation, we would have to pull motor to do it right. Thanks Jerry. I will look into it.