PDA

View Full Version : Hallett post race info/media here please!

GlennCMC70
06-23-2013, 09:46 PM
Man, someone post up some details please!

Suck fumes
06-23-2013, 11:28 PM
Jerry got a lot faster due to me and Jason's super setup!

MikeP99Z
06-24-2013, 07:52 AM
The attrition was nuts. Feel free to add to the below:

AI
Mark Adams - blown motor
Jim Thomas - blown tranny
Mike Snavely - blown brake lines?
Mike Patterson - no issues
Jim Dulaney - blown driveshaft in R4
Marshall Mosty - overheating, fixed, blown tranny, fixed, overheating again
Mike Stacy - blown power steering fitting, fixed, blown tranny
Mark Smith - blown alternator
Frank Robertson - no issues
Richard Pedersen - no issues
Casey Holdway - blown tranny
Bill Tucker - no issues

CMC
Sean Richardson
David Francis
Team Trickle - intermittent running
Craig McCormick
Team Wahoo
James Proctor - overheating, blown something
Michael Mosty
Team Purple Flyer
Dan Allford - blown motor
Pranav Patel - overheating?
Team Jordan
Bryan Leinart - golden helmet x2
Bryan Curtis
John Martin - blown tranny or flywheel?
Bob Denton
Al Fernandez - overheating
Corey Rueth
Ben Northrup

ShadowBolt
06-24-2013, 07:59 AM
Jerry got a lot faster due to me and Jason's super setup!

Still a long way to go but who would think a guy would help you with set-up after you knocked the whole front of his car off! Or maybe he thought he better help! Thanks to Aaron and James. The 55 has never been this good. Still a lot to learn. It's way different. I spun three times in the first practice session and Jay did once but we figured it out. Hallett is the BOMB. Congratz to Michael Mosty for showing us all his rear.......or something like that.

JJ

Dulaney
06-24-2013, 10:17 AM
I had to get towed off in Saturday practice due to burned crank sensor wires. Cut my rear brake hose in R2, but managed to finish the race on 20% brakes. It was scary. A smarter person would've pulled off, but I was kindof all by myself.

Got some video, but they're pretty boring.

marshall_mosty
06-24-2013, 12:18 PM
Friday
Started the Friday practice session needing to shake the car down due to overheating/ blown head gasket at NOLA. Well, the head gasket wasn't the root cause. It was the radiator. Went into Cleveland (OK) Friday night and ended up walking away with a radiator from a 94 Bronco. Not a perfect match, but the "real" replacement radiator wasn't due to arrive until Saturday at noon (thanks DD for helping coordinate the order/ overnight shipment). The radiator cap was too tall on the Bronco radiator so I ended up doing what anyone would do to get on track.... I cut a hole in my hood to clearance the cap... Ghetto-fab! Also, the fancy ABS wasn't working, so I pulled 200lbs of ballast from the car for qual on Saturday. Ended up crawling out from under the cars right after midnight.

Saturday
Took the car out and temps seemed to be under control. Front left caliper was really grabbing and was locking the LF tire during qual. Ended up bleeding the brakes and that was fine. Somehow lost 3 seconds from my last time at Hallett in 2011. Went from low 26's to the mid 29's... Blew the tranny exiting T6... no gears (forward or reverse). Hmmmm. Qual'd 6th.

Between qual and R1
Thankfully Richard Pedersen had a spare tranny so as soon as we had the driver's meeting and grid was set, I dove under the car and replaced the tranny. I literally had enough time to wash my hands and head straight to grid for R1.. Loving Hallett already.

R1 had a great battle between me, Frank, and new "rookie" Richard Pedersen. All was well until Richard exited T6 a bit too hot and went four off to the right. I went left and "almost" got by before Richard (no longer driving, but acting as passenger) came back across frank and my LR wheel and rear bumper cover grated along the front nose of his car, causing me to spin off to the left. Car stalled/refined and kept going. A few laps later, my torque arm bushing failed and I pulled it in. Cooling issues "seemed" to be under control for the time being.

I spent the entire time between R1 and R2 trying to cobble together some bushing arrangement that would work on the now de-coupled torque arm. I finally found a control arm bushing at the race shop that services Mike Stacy's car. They hooked me up with a bolt, bushing and nut to put it back together. Ran out of time to catch R2, so watched it from the sidelines.. Saw Leinert pull his Golden Helmet act #2 for the weekend coming out of the bitch.

Got the car together for the charity race Sat night (benefiting tornado relief in central OK). All went well temp wise until the torque arm bushing bolt stack decided to fall out (guess it wasn't tightened enough). Pulled in and ended up bolting the torque arm to the frame mount. Who need bushings... Right? (Thanks to Kevin Mixon for the idea). So, I think I'm ready to run for Sunday.

Sunday
Went out for practice and the car seems solid with no overheating issues. Stayed out the entire session. Went to impound to weigh and the starter went out. Push start and I'm going again.

Prior to R3 I forgot to ask folks for a push and found myself in my car in an empty garage with no starter. Gavin muscled the car thru the garage (not bad for 10 years old to push a 3000 lb car by himself). Rolled down the hill and got it started.

I have a really good scrap with Frank in R3. He has me on motor, and I have him on braking. See-saw battle. I actually finish the race.... I'm pumped!!

R4 had Jim, Frank, Richard, and I all stuffed together. I had a great 6-7 lap run with those guys. Went side-by-side with Richard thru T6 without issues. Everyone kept their cool and the racing was super close and exciting. Until I overheated again... Pulled in before the race was over with 250-degree water. Damn!!! Watched Michael win CMC, so that was a great "end" to my wonderful weekend at Hallett.

Post morteum
Overheating
Will most likely restrict the water flow in the radiator to ensure it has enough time to cool... I haven't run a thermostat in years, but haven't had enough time on this stroker motor to find out if it needs anything different. Guess this be does.

Tranny
Going to upgrade to the Astro A-5 gear set. Hopefully that will fix the issue.

39PitCrew
06-24-2013, 12:25 PM
Well, there was a full moon this weekend. See pictures ...
http://timingscoring.drivenasa.com/NASA_Texas_Region/

Pranav
06-24-2013, 01:05 PM
Showed up for Sunday only. Right out the box the motor refused to stay cool during practice. Tried limping it through the two races but just pulled off early. I've screwed something up during my headgasket replacement since NOLA, hopefully I can get home and to some tests to figure out what it is.

Motor also continues to produce blowby and dump oil out of both crank seals despite pulling a mean vacuum on the crankcase. My temptation to replace the block I should've rebuilt from the get-go is getting stronger...

ShadowBolt
06-24-2013, 01:20 PM
BL spent part of his weekend working on a feasibility study for putting in a drive through window in the Finish Line Café at Hallett. His thinking was it could be nice to drop in for a Burger and fries during a race. I think he showed it could work. What was it ten feet from the car to the café wall? I heard people were running for their lives. Then of course Corey moved the cones out of the way just to show them what it would look like. Now I have no idea what BL was doing trying to climb the tire wall after “The Bitch” unless he was looking for a short-cut to my race port. Had a great time this weekend and a third in the Summer Shootout, even without some of the big guns, is a win to Team Jordan. BL and I said before the race weekend that a top ten may be like a win for us. Of course this was before all the overheating issues people had. I’m really glad Bryan was not hurt and got to race most of the laps even though he had to work on the car a lot. We know how that goes as this is the first Hallett race weekend in five years were we finished every lap of every race. The fuel pump mount came loose in the tank and I thought we were finished on Friday but Richard Pederson, our resident NASA (not NASA racing but the real National Aeronautics and Space Administration) engineer told me to drill and rivet the mount to the tank and seal it with Quick Steel. Worked great and we will never have that issue again. THANKS Richard!

I do hope Corey will post about the differences in racing a CMC Mustang and a fourth Gen Camaro.

JJ

Fbody383
06-24-2013, 01:41 PM
Orange was faster than it has been in a while. Still have a mysterious transmission issue when it gets hot but that only affected 1 race.

Race 1 was from a back pack start and went ok. I know it's hard to believe that *perhaps* there was very minor contact... ahem, I was "touched" by the 77 (again i might add) on a standing start. OE had a good run and wasn't giving up his line to anybody - good for him.

Race 2 and the tranny failure means i probably got to see everybody go by at least once. Good patience by the field on the split start. In the pits early but car is still running and the trans would be fine once it cooled off.

Race 3 lets you be up front when you DNF... but I didn't DNF soon enough and was 5th (i think) on grid. On the green Bob Denton takes off like a rabbit and I am able to hold Al off long enough for his car to overheat. That was the race I wanted to have at Hallett - probably the quickest laps ever driven there stayed composed throughout the race.

Race 4 The Big Show - earned enough points to start 5th. Good; on the inside and behind the 55 - I know they're going forward. Not a great start but we all get down into 2 pretty clean and I think it lined out in qual order 11, 34x, 50 (maybe I should go back to maroon), the 55 and the 16" 39. Was a pretty good chase 50-55-39 through most of the race but the demon in the borrowed F-body car, who at some point just doesn't car that you only left him 3/4ths of a car on the inside of the last corner, decided he had enough and used some grass to pass. (curse you Corey...) Started 5th and ended 6th... car ran strong, started every time and only had the one transmission issue.

Some of the pics/vid should be pretty good.

AllZWay
06-24-2013, 01:44 PM
I started overheating right out of the gate on Saturday. I have had some problems all season and kept trying to find a reason other than the engine as the culprit.....but during R1 it got enough to spit the low water level sensor out of the radiator and dumped all the water onto my power steering pump.... and lost steering and ran off track...(sorry for spinning out Jay as a result of the water on the track).

I pulled in not knowing for sure had happened. I actually thought the engine was seizing, but it cooled down and cranks and sounds fine, but something is bad wrong and I will pull it out and try to figure it out.

Congrats to Mosty and Patterson for the big wins.

Way to go to the Jordans for great weekend and podium finish in the Shootout.

If you finished it all... you accomplished something considering all the failures for the weekend.

BlueFirePony
06-24-2013, 02:46 PM
Now I have no idea what BL was doing trying to climb the tire wall after “The Bitch” unless he was looking for a short-cut to my race port.

Copy cat....:cool:

Dulaney
06-24-2013, 02:49 PM
Orange was faster than it has been in a while. Still have a mysterious transmission issue when it gets hot but that only affected 1 race.

I don't know your issue, but I used to have some shifting problems when hot. I re-routed the clutch fluid line, and wrapped it in header wrap. Fixed most of that. Someday, I'll remember to purchase a more suitable heat-shield sleeve for it.

Unrelated, but I found out on Sunday afternoon that I didn't have brake lights all weekend. Thanks for letting my try to race that last race without them. Will certainly purchase a new (and a spare) switch for TWS.

Big thanks to Corey (and others nearby) for helping me diagnose why my new engine suddenly quit running in Saturday's practice. That was a wierd one.

Race 3 video (admitedly very boring) is uploading now. Should be done in a couple hours. http://youtu.be/f-S9YlykBfA
Didn't get any video from R1 or 4. Working on 2.

ShadowBolt
06-24-2013, 02:49 PM
Copy cat....:cool:

No not at all. BL was half way to the last turn on the left. Right next to my garage. Not in yours and Frank's spot.

JJ

BlueFirePony
06-24-2013, 02:56 PM
Not track record stuff but if I am reading things right are congrats in order for Jim Dulaney for an AI/CMC weekend best lap of 1:26.077?

Dulaney
06-24-2013, 03:22 PM
Not track record stuff but if I am reading things right are congrats in order for Jim Dulaney for an AI/CMC weekend best lap of 1:26.077?

That was certainly my best ever lap, but Mike Stacy beat me in that same race (r3) with a 1:25.67
And, Patterson got a 1:25.71 in Saturday's qual.

BlueFirePony
06-24-2013, 03:39 PM
That was certainly my best ever lap, but Mike Stacy beat me in that same race (r3) with a 1:25.67
And, Patterson got a 1:25.71 in Saturday's qual.
Well Congrats anyway...that's ~5 seconds faster than 2011 when you, Eddie and I were fighting each other !! <gulp>

Dulaney
06-24-2013, 03:43 PM
Thanks. It was a second faster than Saturday. Those tires were purchased April 2012 and have been my primary race tires for many weekends, but for whatever reason the car felt awesome.

My new transmission is really nice. I kept screwing up the 3rd gear upshift on the starts. It fell into gear too easily, and I assumed it had missed. After a moment of struggling, I decided to try it, and said, "hey, it IS in 3rd". Happened every single race. Need more practice.
Never got to try new 5th gear ratio. Can't wait for TWS.

MikeP99Z
06-24-2013, 11:26 PM
Race 3 video (admitedly very boring) is uploading now. Should be done in a couple hours. http://youtu.be/f-S9YlykBfA

Gets interesting at the 7 minute mark. Too bad the video/sound aren't quite sync'd on the phone video, and the choppiness is aggravating. But, fun none the less.

Great job this weekend Jim!

Dulaney
06-24-2013, 11:55 PM
Thanks, Mike. I met my goal for this year, which was to stay with you for an entire race. That's all I had!

I have no idea how to pass you, so if I have hopes to beat you, it'll require pole position. Thanks for setting the bar high, and giving us something to aim for (figuratively, not aiming at your car like some people :D )

David Love AI27
06-25-2013, 02:17 AM
Thanks, Mike. I met my goal for this year, which was to stay with you for an entire race. That's all I had!

I have no idea how to pass you, so if I have hopes to beat you, it'll require pole position. Thanks for setting the bar high, and giving us something to aim for (figuratively, not aiming at your car like some people :D )

Go back and find old video of Mike and John at TWS.... There is no hint on how to get around Mike, but you will feel better knowning if John can't get around him you are still in good company

kbrewmr2
06-25-2013, 10:55 AM
I'm still scratching my head over how Lineart managed to avoid parking it in the tower

Fbody383
06-25-2013, 11:45 AM
I'm still scratching my head over how Lineart managed to avoid parking it in the towerGravity and friction.

Dulaney
06-25-2013, 12:46 PM
http://youtu.be/ggUF8URy2_0

Race 2. Far more boring than Race 3. Definitely don't watch more than a few minutes!
You can see me working like mad to force some more brake pressure. Tried pumping it like crazy, tried lipping the toe of my shoe under the pedal and drawing it back up. Eventually, I realized that I was destined to have crappy brakes for the whole race.

Turns out that in one of my axle-hops, the brake hose got pinched between the frame and axle where the factory bump stops used to be, and cut the braided hose.
This was the first race that I brought a spare brake hose to, lucky me. I re-routed both sides to the front of the axle, instead of on-top.

smitty328
06-25-2013, 04:22 PM
I got to ride my bike and drink a lot of Frank's Sippin Hooch, luckily not at the same time.

Cars suck!

BryanL
06-25-2013, 05:21 PM
Oh man-what a weekend and lessons learned. First off I need to thank basically the entire field for putting my car back together and teaching me in the process. So many people helped at different times it was incredible. Many times I was ready to throw in the towel and try to celebrate my upcoming 40th but people just kept pulling me back in to the point I would be grinning and looking forward to the next race. Even with my mishaps I probably had the best racing on track with guys that I have ever had in a weekend-in the words of Ole English "It was AWESOME!".
I'll provide a better write up and thanks to all those later this week. Also, have to compile a list of things I owe people and it was so much it's hard to keep track. I'm thinking I just need to come to TWS and spend the weekend being a pit monkey for whoever needs help.
Big congrats to Mosty and Patterson for winning the beautiful guns Jerry provided. Also, to Team Jordan for probably their best weekend of racing and Francis, too.

But Jerry has it wrong-it was a warm afternoon and I was ready for some ice cream. I'm pretty certain I proved the point that you can make it to the tower and I noticed in Jim's video that there were cars and people just beyond the tower that are reachable. Too bad Liebbe wasn't there to provide some better analysis. On saturday I was looking to say hi to Lonita Procter and scare the kids in the playground. So whatever button Randy was pushing for his force field I hope he takes it off his car. I also don't think I'm going to wear ear plugs anymore. However, I think Corey can vouch that I didn't make the same mistake in R4.

I'll be back.

GlennCMC70
06-25-2013, 07:25 PM
http://youtu.be/ggUF8URy2_0

Race 2. Far more boring than Race 3. Definitely don't watch more than a few minutes!
You can see me working like mad to force some more brake pressure. Tried pumping it like crazy, tried lipping the toe of my shoe under the pedal and drawing it back up. Eventually, I realized that I was destined to have crappy brakes for the whole race.

Turns out that in one of my axle-hops, the brake hose got pinched between the frame and axle where the factory bump stops used to be, and cut the braided hose.
This was the first race that I brought a spare brake hose to, lucky me. I re-routed both sides to the front of the axle, instead of on-top.
Gotta be a reason the OEM routed them on the back side instead of the top. Don't try and out think them.

JJordan
06-25-2013, 07:40 PM
On saturday I was looking to say hi to Lonita Procter and scare the kids in the playground. So whatever button Randy was pushing for his force field I hope he takes it off his car.

Leinart... Oh Shit!!!
https://vimeo.com/69129687

Dulaney
06-25-2013, 07:40 PM
In my long to-do list to get ready, I somehow never ziptied the lines down. So, they floated around up top on their own.

Rob Liebbe
06-25-2013, 08:40 PM
Leinart... Oh Shit!!!

Interesting corner exit Leinart.

Suck fumes
06-25-2013, 10:13 PM
Jerry post up your video!

cobra132
06-26-2013, 07:26 AM
You may have hit the building if .............

If the landscape crew hired to repair your divits has a foreman..........

If the suspension damage to your car is so severe it requires a 5 corner rebuild...........

If the scene in the track grill dinning room resembles one out of a Godzilla movie...........

If you can order a burger with tater tots while waiting for the tow vehicle.........

ShadowBolt
06-26-2013, 09:15 AM
Jerry post up your video!

I don't have any. I drove R2 and R3 and came in third and fourth. We have video of R1, R2 and R4. Jay has it. Forgot to turn on the video for R3 and it would have been the best. Corey and I went three wide through several turns. I finally lifted and dropped in behind him because I was sure something bad was going to happen. Then on the next lap Corey went off at the exit of Turn one and the car was bouncing in the air and I was sure it was going to shoot across the track in front of me but he saved it and I beat him down into Bus Stop. He got back by a lap or two later. Really wish we would have had the video of R3 so I could show how close we raced for so many corners and show the air show out of turn one. Corey has video of R3 but it will not show the air work as well as mine would have. I will have Jay send me the files and I will work on getting them posted.

JJ

rleng1
06-26-2013, 11:54 AM
Leinart... Oh Shit!!!

Now that is AWESOME right there.

michaelmosty
06-26-2013, 11:56 AM
I don't have any. I drove R2 and R3 and came in third and fourth. We have video of R1, R2 and R4. Jay has it. Forgot to turn on the video for R3 and it would have been the best. Corey and I went three wide through several turns. I finally lifted and dropped in behind him because I was sure something bad was going to happen. Then on the next lap Corey went off at the exit of Turn one and the car was bouncing in the air and I was sure it was going to shoot across the track in front of me but he saved it and I beat him down into Bus Stop. He got back by a lap or two later. Really wish we would have had the video of R3 so I could show how close we raced for so many corners and show the air show out of turn one. Corey has video of R3 but it will not show the air work as well as mine would have. I will have Jay send me the files and I will work on getting them posted.

JJ

I have video right behind y'all. Corey is on the ground, air, ground, air. Also, y'all had to be within 1 inch going into T5 in R3.
I also have nice video of Jerry's middle finger to me on the front straight, I was cracking up!!!!

ShadowBolt
06-26-2013, 11:57 AM
Now that is AWESOME right there.

Who was that is first place in that video?

JJ

NASA13
06-26-2013, 12:56 PM
Amazing weekend! By far the best part was hanging out with old friends and making new ones. You guys are all best friend material. Regarding the racing , y'all are faster and more aggressive than I have ever seen you. I will have to come around more often or be left in the dust. Nobody gave me an inch all weekend.
I'm happy with my performance and the car was fantastic, my only regret is my dq for the weight infraction. I feel like I might have finished better in the big race if I hadn't started dfl
Camaro vs mustang
I hate to even open this can but , you asked.....
No comparison really, the 4th gen is a dream to drive and has miles of torque at all rpms
For the first time in my racing life I felt like the predator instead of the prey.
The mustang can be good too and it's nimble and fun but stop techs and ast shocks are mandatory for real speed. but Morgans car with the addition of Ast shocks and stop tech brakes would be unstoppable .
Great job guys and I can't wait for the next race.

ShadowBolt
06-26-2013, 01:28 PM
I have video right behind y'all. Corey is on the ground, air, ground, air. Also, y'all had to be within 1 inch going into T5 in R3.
I also have nice video of Jerry's middle finger to me on the front straight, I was cracking up!!!!
I do want to see your videos Michael. I will say on Corey's Mustang Camaro compare......well we all already kinda knew that didn't we. I don't even want to see Michael or Aaron in a fourth Gen.

JJ

Suck fumes
06-26-2013, 01:56 PM
I almost started with an 02 LS1 car but just couldn't see myself in one as I hate camaros so much haha. Sure it might be faster in a straight line but I was so used to the mustangs driving feel I had to stick with it. Already 12 cars signed up for nats! Should be fun!

Rsmith350
06-26-2013, 02:24 PM
I almost started with an 02 LS1 car but just couldn't see myself in one as I hate camaros so much haha. Sure it might be faster in a straight line but I was so used to the mustangs driving feel I had to stick with it. Already 12 cars signed up for nats! Should be fun!

That's gonna be a show! Wish I could go with y'all

kbrewmr2
06-26-2013, 05:53 PM
That's gonna be a show! Wish I could go with y'all
They'll need tech help for the event - bet you could even talk them into helping you get out there....

Storm Trooper
06-26-2013, 07:12 PM
WOW! What a weekend my first time to drive at Hallett. I spent most of the day under the car Friday, but after a new o2 sensor and two fuel pumps ( yes imagine that, parts stores in Ok screw up parts as bad as Houston, first pump was for a 4 cyc jeep??? WTH? ) Thank you John for getting my parts! Thank you David for lending me your truck.
Saturday was awesome. I wasn't real fast (not like orange)lol but I had a blast! The charity race CW was super fun! Watching Mike and Matt battle was total cool. I was cramping pretty bad after the race (from dehydration) But WAY worth it! Sunday was much more fun, I got to run with Randy and Ben. I hung in there till the yellow and emg flags. I just could not get caught back up, but it was fun trying :-) But too my amazement the car stayed together all weekend. I was afraid the summer solstice, full moon,karaoke nights at Hallett might of taken its toll on my car but the Chevy gods took care of me! (Rember, if it breaks, rub some bacon on it LOL)

AI#97
06-26-2013, 07:17 PM
Go back and find old video of Mike and John at TWS.... There is no hint on how to get around Mike, but you will feel better knowning if John can't get around him you are still in good company

Mike has a weakness but you got to bring your A+ game to get him to ever show it. It's the same weakness all drivers have. The problem is not making the same mistake while you are both at Eleven 10ths!!!

Only hint I would give is build a MUCH lighter car and dog him till the tires go away. That is what I always did although the CW race with Mike was crazy fun Saturday night. There was a whole lot of "now where do I go? Where is the line?"

AI#97
06-26-2013, 07:27 PM
Gotta be a reason the OEM routed them on the back side instead of the top. Don't try and out think them.

Of the two axles we have had in Misty's car, the factory hard lines for the old 4channel axle and the current 3 channel axle are routed over the top of the axle tube. crappy design and had to re-route them/bend them a bit to get the watts link clamps to work.

What have you guys done to keep the axle vent tube in place that has worked?

Dulaney
06-26-2013, 07:43 PM
The hole for the vent tube is 7/16", which is the perfect drill size for a 1/4" npt tap. O'Reilly is about the only place I've found that carry these taps locally. Since its pre-drilled, I just loaded the tap with axle grease to catch the shavings.
Any way, tap it, then thread in a 5/16 or 3/8 barb adapter. I then used a 3' hose and ran it into a pre-existing slot near the fuel tank straps.

alteratively, a 1/8npt is fairly close in diameter to the existing hole. On my first axle, I just JB welded it in there. The vent had fallen out at TWS, and I was in a hurry. It's pretty difficult to fit the 1/4" tap with the axle in-place.

GlennCMC70
06-26-2013, 09:18 PM
Of the two axles we have had in Misty's car, the factory hard lines for the old 4channel axle and the current 3 channel axle are routed over the top of the axle tube. crappy design and had to re-route them/bend them a bit to get the watts link clamps to work.

What have you guys done to keep the axle vent tube in place that has worked?

They are not on top in the area that can get smashed/cut by the chassis. Before they get that far out they rotate to the rear.

For the vent...... Next time you have the axel out toss the plastic OEM vent (or turn the axle upside down and it will fall out......) and find a brass fitting that is male NTP on one side and a barb nipple on the other. The barb side can be sized to whatever vent hose you plan to use. The NTP side needs to be just slightly larger than the vent hole in the axle. Take a deep socket that will fit over the barbed nipple but not over the hex wrench flats. Then drive the brass fitting into the hole. I have a cheap ass extension I used to hammer on when doing things like this to save the wear and tear on the socket.
I think the NTP side is 1/4" NTP. The barbed side needs to be as large as you feel OK going. A smaller hose will have higher air velocity that will carry more oil vapors up and out. A larger hose will slow down the air speed and allow the droplets of oil to drop out of the air streem and return to the diff. I use a valve cover breather vent from my local parts store from the import bling section. It has a stainless steel screen on it. I tied the hose up as high as I could get it into the chassis above the diff and made sure I used enough hose to have a full loop. This seems to have stopped all my diff venting issues 100%. I used this trick on my big HP street car that ran 155+ down the front straight at TWS. No issues. Works fine on the CMC car as well.

At this point I'll work for food. If this trick works for you and you like it, buy me lunch one day.

Pranav
06-26-2013, 11:10 PM
I used a 1/8" NPT fitting and JB welded it into the hole, 3/8" barb. It has held up real well so far.

Pranav
06-26-2013, 11:43 PM
So it turns out my overheating problem was a "just loose enough" radiator hose. Under high RPM it would stream out water but stay tight during idle.

Always the little crap. CRAP.

MikeP99Z
06-27-2013, 12:13 AM
What Glenn said -I have the same system on my car. Oh wait, Glenn installed it =)

MikeP99Z
06-27-2013, 12:22 AM
the CW race with Mike was crazy fun Saturday night. There was a whole lot of "now where do I go? Where is the line?"

It was fun! A whole lot of guessing was going on =)

Dulaney
06-27-2013, 01:53 PM
We should seriously consider racing CW. I swapped Justin for his Miata for the charity race. Even in that car, it was a lot of fun. Sure wish I was in my own car though, just trying to do my part to win him over to CMC (he says it's too expensive, but I know he'd love the power/torque). The track is a lot different the other direction. Tricky corners like the bitch are fun! Turn 2 is crazy.

AI#97
06-27-2013, 11:02 PM
We should seriously consider racing CW. I swapped Justin for his Miata for the charity race. Even in that car, it was a lot of fun. Sure wish I was in my own car though, just trying to do my part to win him over to CMC (he says it's too expensive, but I know he'd love the power/torque). The track is a lot different the other direction. Tricky corners like the bitch are fun! Turn 2 is crazy.

Mike and I talked afterwards and think it's a better RACE track CW....surprises lay around every corner but the T5-T2 complex is fun as all hell. Braking down into the bitch is a little awkward but fun and leaping out of the bitch over the hill is "en-lightening"!

David Love AI27
06-29-2013, 12:17 AM
Mike and I talked afterwards and think it's a better RACE track CW....surprises lay around every corner but the T5-T2 complex is fun as all hell. Braking down into the bitch is a little awkward but fun and leaping out of the bitch over the hill is "en-lightening"!

We should switch directions every event... instead of every group doing a practice session how about a walk around in the morning over coffee or redbull... then a short qual... just a thought...good prep for anyone going to nationals... I will never forget our walk around at Miller... it was a so informative especially planning "exit" plans and runnoff areas... I seem to remember Michael having the benefit of being aware of bailing right going into T2 at Hallet when he had brake failure... along those lines, when I'm instructing, I always stress "bail outs" when I have an agressive student... Some times driving straight off is good, sometimes it is not.. being in the right hand seat gives you a different perspective..

marshall_mosty
07-02-2013, 10:30 AM
A couple of funny quotes from Gavin on the drive home...

Gavin:
"Hey Daddy, did Brian drive thru there?? (pointing to tire tracks up an embankment on the highway)"

Me:
"No Gavin, that's probably where a car or truck drove up to the service road."

Gavin:
"No Dad, that was a joke..."

marshall_mosty
07-02-2013, 10:32 AM
Gavin:
"Daddy, did you know that Craig "corn dogged" Bob (Denton)?"

Me:
"Huh, What's a corn dog?"

Gavin:
"It's when you go up behind someone and knee them in the butt... but with Craig, it was the nose of his car to Bob's rear"

Me:
Thought - Wow, I've never though of a corn dog that way... Guess it's new lingo from the younger generation...

kbrewmr2
07-02-2013, 10:41 AM
I'm just glad we didn't bring Laura's car up to be Pace Car for this event, it wouldn't look so hot with black Camaro paint smudged on it....

cjlmlml
07-02-2013, 11:03 AM
solid remarks from the youngster

ShadowBolt
07-02-2013, 02:44 PM
A couple of funny quotes from Gavin on the drive home...

Gavin:
"Hey Daddy, did Brian drive thru there?? (pointing to tire tracks up an embankment on the highway)"

Me:
"No Gavin, that's probably where a car or truck drove up to the service road."

Gavin:
"No Dad, that was a joke..."

Maybe the post of all time (on this forum).

JJ

Trublu
07-03-2013, 07:53 PM
Just finished reading the article in Speed News on Bill Tucker. I'm pissed with myself that I didn't take the time to visit with him at Hallet, he was only a couple hundred yards from my trailer. I'm humbled at the thought that something we all find an adrenelin rush can be accomplished with shear determination, regardless of age, equipment or physical challenge.

Casey_SS
07-03-2013, 10:45 PM
Just finished reading the article in Speed News on Bill Tucker. I'm pissed with myself that I didn't take the time to visit with him at Hallet, he was only a couple hundred yards from my trailer. I'm humbled at the thought that something we all find an adrenelin rush can be accomplished with shear determination, regardless of age, equipment or physical challenge.

I just read that article too and had pretty much the same reaction. Really regret not taking the time to find where he was pitted and go meet the guy. Lots to learn from a fellow like that and I wasted the opportunity.

Dulaney
07-04-2013, 05:04 PM
Man, we're a bunch of A-holes. I didn't go meet him either.
Odd, because we're normally a friendly group.

Fbody383
07-05-2013, 09:52 AM
Man, we're a bunch of A-holes. I didn't go meet him either.
Odd, because we're normally a friendly group.Another reason to pit together... I wanted to go see the car. Wasn't he 'supersized' and running a TT too?

Need to get more video posted. I have R1/R2/R3 compiled, a separate R4... i think Sean ran front/rear cameras so he should have some good stuff.

marshall_mosty
07-05-2013, 05:07 PM
Pulled the tranny down and I took out 4th/Cluster. In talking to Tony (Astro Performance Transmissions) he sees approx 60/40 split on 3rd vs. 4th gear failures. 3rd has more gear spread since it's mid-span in the case, but 4th gets more localized heat from the engine.

I went ahead and ordered an A-5 conversion kit so hopefully I never have another failure. Tony and I discussed a Tremec TKO-600, but they have their own problems. I guess nothing's perfect.

This will upgrade me to a 26 spline input shaft, so unfortunately the spare that I'm building will only be good for those who have the same conversion of the input shaft (or the whole A-5 gearset).

Liberty transmissions sells a 26-spline input for the "world class" T-5. That's what I'm putting in the spare box. Hopefully I'll never need it.

4 tranny failures in 9 years isn't too bad I guess (3 3rd gear and 1 4th gear)...

ShadowBolt
07-06-2013, 07:05 AM
Pulled the tranny down and I took out 4th/Cluster. In talking to Tony (Astro Performance Transmissions) he sees approx 60/40 split on 3rd vs. 4th gear failures. 3rd has more gear spread since it's mid-span in the case, but 4th gets more localized heat from the engine.

I went ahead and ordered an A-5 conversion kit so hopefully I never have another failure. Tony and I discussed a Tremec TKO-600, but they have their own problems. I guess nothing's perfect.

This will upgrade me to a 26 spline input shaft, so unfortunately the spare that I'm building will only be good for those who have the same conversion of the input shaft (or the whole A-5 gearset).

Liberty transmissions sells a 26-spline input for the "world class" T-5. That's what I'm putting in the spare box. Hopefully I'll never need it.

4 tranny failures in 9 years isn't too bad I guess (3 3rd gear and 1 4th gear)...

Can't run the stock clutch either With the 26 spline. I carry a spare. Hope I never need it at the track.

JJ

marshall_mosty
07-06-2013, 10:04 AM
Jerry,
I'm also sourcing a 26-spline clutch disc.

Suck fumes
07-06-2013, 11:42 PM
Yah if we ever had to change a clutch I'd prob just pack it up cause its a 6hr job on the lift with longtubes

marshall_mosty
07-07-2013, 08:49 AM
Aaron,
I know on the 4.6 with lontubes that it's a motor pull for you guys. That is one of the reasons that Jeremy converted to a T-5 originally so he could have the split bellhousing/tranny. Worked well for him until he decided to go with a T-56...

edrock96GT
07-07-2013, 11:56 AM
Aaron,
I know on the 4.6 with lontubes that it's a motor pull for you guys. That is one of the reasons that Jeremy converted to a T-5 originally so he could have the split bellhousing/tranny. Worked well for him until he decided to go with a T-56...

That's another benefit of the TKO 600. The T45 isn't necessarily a motor pull, but you will have to at least loosen the right side header, if not remove it completely.

Just wondering, what were the problems you guys talked about with the TKO 600? I did have a countershaft bearing failure in my first one.

marshall_mosty
07-07-2013, 12:05 PM
Eddie,
Tony discussed a shift finger mod that you'd have to perform. Apparently they like to get hung in 2 gears at once (not good). Michael had a imilar issue with his 3550, but the upgraded shiift fingers took care of it.

Also, the TKO-600 has been said to shift like a "dump truck" in comparison to the T-5.

Several ways to skin the cat.

jdlingle
07-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Are you still running a T45 Eddie? Did you find a better 5th gear for TWS?

AI#97
07-08-2013, 01:16 AM
Yah if we ever had to change a clutch I'd prob just pack it up cause its a 6hr job on the lift with longtubes

Mac or BBK's....you can pull a T45 with mac LT's....although I never put it back in as I got the T56. A swap to an A-5 would be a good choice as well for CMC.

If you can deal with the extra weight, the T56 is a great trans. Mine was used when I got it and it has been in the car since 2005. Granted, I have now cracked the tailshaft housing, but I don't believe that is a trans failure but the result of my big off at Miller back in 2009 or is just a casting flaw as it is along a casting line.

ShadowBolt
07-08-2013, 08:51 AM
Jerry,
I'm also sourcing a 26-spline clutch disc.

I got mine from Tony if I remember. I can get you the part number on my spare if you like or we can use mine for a spare for both of us. Get a pressure plate and I will keep the spare disk for both of us.

The reason I went to the A5 was to be able to change a clutch at the track and because back then there were no road race fifth gears for the T45 or the 3650.

JJ

marshall_mosty
07-08-2013, 09:22 AM
Jerry,
Looks like it's a stock 80-mid 90's GM clutch disc out of a 305 V8 (Camaro, etc). I'm picking up a Hayes unit at O'Reilleys. I already have a spare pressure plate, so we are good.

Dulaney
07-10-2013, 10:26 AM
Got in my CD of pictures today. He included a compilation video of all the groups. Some shots of us in there, plus we get to see Casey in the Miata.http://youtu.be/GqZvg5vOsC8

Dulaney
07-10-2013, 10:30 AM
Is my splitter low enough?1273

MikeP99Z
07-10-2013, 11:18 AM
Is this a violation of the United States Flag Code?:

The laws relating to the flag of the United States of America are found in detail in the United States Code. Title 4, Chapter 1 pertains to the flag; Title 18, Chapter 33, Section 700 regards criminal penalties for flag desecration; Title 36, Chapter 3 pertains to patriotic customs and observances. These laws were supplemented by Executive Orders and Presidential Proclamations.

§8. Respect for flag

No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.

a. The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
b. The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.

Dulaney
07-10-2013, 01:00 PM
Very funny! This line also applies, "the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing"

Dulaney
07-10-2013, 01:18 PM
I've uploaded pictures of our group to my website, taken by the track photographer Tim Turner. I'm not going to make an easy-to-navigate website, just this one picture of thumbnails for you to preview. If you want the full-size images, let me know. http://design-base.net/personal/hallett/ 1274 There's a file called all_pics.png which lists thumbnails by filename