PDA

View Full Version : SPA AFFF fire systems recharge...?

AI#97
08-20-2013, 12:58 PM
I seem to remember a long time back that someone here refilled their SPA AFFF bottle themselves? Marshall maybe? OGRacing is telling me it has to be serviced by an authorized rep so they won't sell me the kit.

I'm pretty sure you can do it yourself but need to know where to get the kit.

Gracias.

BlueFirePony
08-20-2013, 08:17 PM
I seem to remember a long time back that someone here refilled their SPA AFFF bottle themselves? Marshall maybe? OGRacing is telling me it has to be serviced by an authorized rep so they won't sell me the kit.

I'm pretty sure you can do it yourself but need to know where to get the kit.

Gracias.
I contacted SPA a little over a month ago and they said that it would need to be refilled by an authorized rep. I know PST can do it and that is who they recommended to me in the DFW area.

marshall_mosty
08-21-2013, 03:58 PM
I have an AES system that you refill yourself. It's still an AFFF system, just different folks.

AI#97
08-21-2013, 05:17 PM
I'm going to find a local extinguisher service company and see if they can do it. Shouldn't be a big deal as long as they can empty it, and have an adapter to fill it with and it holds pressure. Accidental discharges are sucky.

BlueFirePony
08-21-2013, 07:25 PM
I'm going to find a local extinguisher service company and see if they can do it. Shouldn't be a big deal as long as they can empty it, and have an adapter to fill it with and it holds pressure. Accidental discharges are sucky.
I think the only real catch is the certification....if you find that you can refill at your leisure, I'd expect you would still need to get it cert'd by an authorized service center.
I agree on the accidental discharge...I am actually planning an on-purpose discharge to double check everything...its been a while since I really tested it.
Marshall, is your system similar to ESS?
"In non SFI 17.1 compliant systems, you clean up with water and can recharge the
system at the track with a recharge kit (retail under $70) and fresh water. The
SFI 17.1 compliant version of the 5.0 liter system requires that the system be
shipped back to us for recertification. We offer a re-certification program for
both 17.1 and non-17.1 systems. The stainless steel t-bolt mounting brackets
allow easy access for tech inspection and storage during the off season."

marshall_mosty
08-21-2013, 08:17 PM
Here is what I bought. It's the 5.0L

http://www.apexperformance.net/prod-55.htm

This system is a 3-zone system, ideal for the engine, driver and fuel cell in case of a fire. The 4.6 system comes with 4 nozzles, two nozzles for the engine, one nozzle for the driver and one for the fuel cell. You can also add an additional 2 nozzles to this system (for a total of 6 nozzles) for extra protection.. The 4.6 liter ESS system is ideally suited for the GT1, GTA, AS, T1, or Off-Road Racing and is sanctioned by Trans-Am, ALMS, and Speed Challenge among others. This system comes with 4 nozzles and all mounting hardware as in the 2.3 liter system.

•Comes with two 8-foot lengths of aluminum tubing & all required AN fittings
•PLUS 4 nozzles, mounting brackets, tubing clamps, adjustable manual release cable, instructions & charging kit
•Approved for SCCA & NASA.
•Re-chargeable at the track by you for UNDER $65
•Capable of using up to 6 nozzles to provide coverage to even obstructed engine or driver compartments
•The 5.0 Liter System is equal to a 10 lb. Halon system
•The 5.0 System is designed for up to a 3-zone coverage area (engine, driver and fuel cell)

BlueFirePony
08-21-2013, 09:26 PM
Here is what I bought. It's the 5.0L

http://www.apexperformance.net/prod-55.htm
yeah, that is the ESS system I was researching when I bought the SPA.
ESS offers an SFI compliant system that must be refilled by them (or auth) - the owner refillable version is NOT SFI compliant.
From ESS website (and also an email I got from them some time ago):
"This system is available as an owner rechargeable system and as a SFI 17.1 compliant system. The SFI 17.1 compliant system requires that the systems be shipped full, sealed, and certified for 2 years of service. We offer a re-certification program for both 17.1 and non-17.1 systems."
My next system may be the non SFI system (or if I can find someone to fill the system I have), though I do plan to test it regularly. And I keep my tank in the house when not at the track...heard a lot of people have sputtering/spitting systems due to (presumably) temp changes since they all say they fitted the lines properly :/

cobra132
08-22-2013, 06:52 AM
Send it back and get it done correctly. Do not mess with fire. That is all.

BlueFirePony
08-22-2013, 02:37 PM
Send it back and get it done correctly. Do not mess with fire. That is all.
Yessir. Only a fool ignores Dr. Frank.