PDA

View Full Version : Toyo RR

Suck fumes
08-22-2013, 06:34 PM
Man this spec iron car is fasssstt!!! The toyo RR's not only last longer than the RA1 but they are more consistent too! I hope CMC can move to this tire in the future.

marshall_mosty
08-22-2013, 11:39 PM
Aaron,
How many laps/sessions do you have on the RR? Any datapoints you can provide will help NASA make a "more correct" decision in the future, as we all do not want a repeat of the 888 debut in 2008.

Suck fumes
08-23-2013, 08:07 AM
I'll give you more data after the championship races.

BryanL
08-23-2013, 08:33 AM
Are you racing both cars at nats?

Those that have watched nats the last few years know the 197 is fast.

Good luck!

Suck fumes
08-23-2013, 11:10 AM
Dad is running the SI car, I'm running the CMC car at nats but we will switch rolls when we get back. I plan on running SI next yr at nats assuming there are cars that show!

BADVENM
08-23-2013, 11:42 AM
Interesting. While in Hastings for a NASA event a few weeks ago I was told the RR's dont last nearly as long as the RA1's. I think this was on the Spec Miatas or 944's...cant remember. In fact, the person commented that some were only getting a race weekend or two out of them. See you at Nats, I'll be in the #8 Fox Mustang.
Speaking of which, I think this will be the first time we've had nearly every type of Mustang and Camaro at a National Championship race. Maybe they'll do some datalogging since we'll all be out at the same time under the same conditions.

GlennCMC70
08-23-2013, 12:45 PM
RA1's are only lasting me a weekend and a half, 2 weekends tops and I start with a 5/32nd shave.
A faster tire that lasts at least as long and does not need shaving is win, but only slightly in my book.

Suck fumes
08-23-2013, 01:15 PM
They are 4/32 out of the box about $40 more per tire but last twice as long. Now obviously if you slide the car around it'll cook em but if you're smooth they will last!

I am speaking for the 18" tires though so I'm assuming the 17" will be cheaper.

Suck fumes
08-23-2013, 01:38 PM
In a spec Miata we have gotten 12 heat cycles out of the RR before the chord starts to show. Whoever told you they don't last as long doesn't know how to drive on them. A tires life is solely dependent on the driver and car setup!

MikeP99Z
08-24-2013, 08:03 AM
Now obviously if you slide the car around it'll cook em but if you're smooth they will last!

But, I like to slide my car :(

Either way, I'm only getting a weekend and a half from 6/32 shaved RA1s. So, this can only be an improvement if the lateral grip is there.

BryanL
08-26-2013, 08:25 AM
In a spec Miata we have gotten 12 heat cycles out of the RR before the chord starts to show. Whoever told you they don't last as long doesn't know how to drive on them. A tires life is solely dependent on the driver and car setup!

Well that is only 2 weekends. Glenn says he gets 1.5 to 2 weekends out of his RA1's and he slides the car but also weights a lot more than the miata. We won't know until they start making our size and make it out tire. Either way it doesn't sound like what we want which is a tire that lasts all season.

MikeP99Z
08-26-2013, 09:23 AM
If I can get two solid weekends out of the RRs before they cord or performance drops to junk, and they perform better than the RA1s, then I'm good with that.

AllZWay
08-26-2013, 09:30 AM
I don't want more grip... I want less grip and more tire wear.

ShadowBolt
08-26-2013, 10:48 AM
I don't want more grip... I want less grip and more tire wear.

That makes two of us. Even if we could just get down to six or seven events out of two sets of tires that would be great. Less grip would allow the chassis to last longer.

JJ

edrock96GT
08-27-2013, 08:52 AM
RA1's are only lasting me a weekend and a half, 2 weekends tops and I start with a 5/32nd shave.
A faster tire that lasts at least as long and does not need shaving is win, but only slightly in my book.

They're lasting me about a season and a half.

Lighter=better? :D

GlennCMC70
08-27-2013, 08:54 AM
They're lasting me about a season and a half.

Lighter=better? :D

Don't take this the wrong way.
Drive harder.

Suck fumes
08-27-2013, 12:19 PM
Lol!!

Suck fumes
08-27-2013, 12:25 PM
No matter how you look at it, there is never going to be a race tire that will last a whole season. Yah you could go to a harder compound street tire but those would chunk and explode which is even more dangerous. After all it is a RACECAR so it would only make sense to use RACE tires. I'm all for saving a buck on whatever we can but racing a car with more grip than your daily driver is a lot more fun. I just don't see it being possible to find any tire that will last as long as we want it too. Have to settle somewhere I guess

AI#97
09-02-2013, 09:50 PM
BFG R1's seem to last well....and BFG now has a treaded tire that could work for rain or even an intermediate with the Rival. screw toyo. It's time to move on already.

Suck fumes
09-02-2013, 10:25 PM
BFG's are like Hoosier they fall off a lot after 4 sessions. All the mx5 cup guys had to run sticker BFG's to stay competitive.

mach1
03-12-2014, 11:26 AM
So, how are you AI guys liking these thus far?

marshall_mosty
03-13-2014, 09:52 AM
For an AI car (3200 lbs with aero)
At least a second a lap faster (at MSR-C). I'd say closer to 1.5-2 seconds...
Very picky about tire pressures. Doesn't like as much hot pressure as RA1's
Do not like to be abused like RA1's. Subtle inputs (Steering, gas, brake) is the only way to go or you overheat them.
Some are seeing them heat cycle as quickly as 16 heat cycles
Wear seems to be good across the face of the tire.

I crossed them after Saturday.
Will flip them prior to the next event and then cross again after Saturday.

My expectation is a minimum of 2 weekends per set, but going to shoot for 3 weekends per set.

nasa-rm
03-13-2014, 10:14 AM
I crossed them after Saturday.
Will flip them prior to the next event and then cross again after Saturday.

Folks. Be aware of the recommended direction and orientation from Toyo. YMMV.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/contingency/toyo_tires/Toyo_RR_Mounting_Rec.pdf

Dulaney
03-13-2014, 10:18 AM
After a practice day and a weekend of racing, they seem to grease up super fast. I'll still run them, but they're noticeably different than new. There is plenty of tire left, so they'd be fine for practice. The faster lap times are impressive, but from what I've seen so far, I'd rather stick with the RA1.

RichardP
03-13-2014, 10:50 AM
The faster lap times are impressive

I've heard several people say they are faster but I don't think we have good data for that. Track records were broken this past weekend for a whole bunch of classes that don't use this new tire...

Richard P.

Rob Liebbe
03-14-2014, 07:00 AM

http://www.nasaproracing.com/contingency/toyo_tires/Toyo_RR_Mounting_Rec.pdf Uhm...That is a very suspicious article. I've never heard any tire manufacturer, street or competition, say anything like this, has anyone else? My recommendation to anyone on these tires is to monitor them very closely. Be aware of any increasing vibration from them, look for any evidence of separation in the form of "visible tread splice" gap widening, shoulder edge cracking/gapping, and localized accelerated wear. My concern is that a tire with a "visible tread splice" is that the tire was not sufficiently cured, the components of the tire are not properly bonded and therefore does not have full strength between adjacent components and splices. The end result would be a tread separation similar to what Michael Mosty had at TWS a few years ago. (Michael's tire problem was likely the result of impact damage when he went off track at Hallet earlier in that season)

GlennCMC70
03-14-2014, 07:09 AM
Kuhmo had this very issue back in the early to mid 2000's. It was the V710. At first the replaced alot of tires. Later, they said it was a non issue.

michaelmosty
03-14-2014, 08:41 AM
Uhm...That is a very suspicious article. I've never heard any tire manufacturer, street or competition, say anything like this, has anyone else? My recommendation to anyone on these tires is to monitor them very closely. Be aware of any increasing vibration from them, look for any evidence of separation in the form of "visible tread splice" gap widening, shoulder edge cracking/gapping, and localized accelerated wear. My concern is that a tire with a "visible tread splice" is that the tire was not sufficiently cured, the components of the tire are not properly bonded and therefore does not have full strength between adjacent components and splices. The end result would be a tread separation similar to what Michael Mosty had at TWS a few years ago. (Michael's tire problem was likely the result of impact damage when he went off track at Hallet earlier in that season)

"A few years ago" was 8 years ago. Holy cow, that just seems like yesterday.
For those not around then, this was in 2006 at Hallett / TWS. I had a brake failure at Hallett and went off going into StopSign (a whole story on its own). The front left tire had the bead let go and since the tire still "looked good", I just reinflated it. The next event was TWS and during the 2nd session (the tire was now on the RF), the tire blew right at the start/finish line at 120 mph. The tread peeled back and with every rotation the tire slapped the fender / door on the passenger side causing lots of damage.
Not a fun time.

marshall_mosty
03-14-2014, 08:45 AM

http://www.nasaproracing.com/contingency/toyo_tires/Toyo_RR_Mounting_Rec.pdf

I have my tires marked LF/RR and RF/LR and the inverse on the inside of those tires to keep it straight in my mind on what I have after flipping.

Suck fumes
03-14-2014, 04:58 PM
Mounting is critical on these. I always mount them per the directions.